It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New here and new to go. Greetings!
Post #1 Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:30 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
IGS: Rin1313
Hello! I am very new to Go and have only played a handful of games against bots. Although my interest in Go started when I was much younger than I am now, but I never got serious about playing it until recently. Now that I am serious I feel like the more I study Go the less I understand it. I have so many questions and things I'm confused about. I hope this forum can be a good resource for getting some of my questions answered and improving at the game! Also any recommendations for starter Go books would be hugely appreciated. :)

Post subject:
Post #2 Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:49 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Graded Go Problems for Beginners series
The Second Book of Go by Richard Bozulich
Contact Fights ( for PC Windows ) by Bruce Wilcox

Post subject: Re: New here and new to go. Greetings!
Post #3 Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:14 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 542
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
Janice Kim's series of books "Learn Go from the Masters" start from beginner level. Look on Amazon for "Janice Kim Go". You might enjoy the beginner pages on Sensei's Library (https://senseis.xmp.net/?StartingPoints)

Post subject: Re:
Post #4 Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:43 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 235
Was liked: 77
Universal go server handle: fireproof
EdLee wrote:
Graded Go Problems for Beginners series
The Second Book of Go by Richard Bozulich
Contact Fights ( for PC Windows ) by Bruce Wilcox

I'll second Ed's suggestions, with the clarification that Contact Fights will work on Mac OS X if you use Wineskin http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/, a free WINE wrapper that turns a PC application into a stand-alone Mac app.

Post subject: Re: New here and new to go. Greetings!
Post #5 Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:39 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 45
Was liked: 25
Welcome to go!

I've had the chance to look at a lot of beginners books, and I think the Janice Kim ones are the best I've seen.
The problem for some people is the cost; and so a single volume beginners book might be more appropriate. I read the Kaoru Iwamoto beginners book, and thought it was a good introduction, but there are others available that are just as suitable.

I like the Graded Go Problems for Beginners series, but love the Level Up! and Jump Level Up! series of problem books, although the formers vol. 3 and 4 are likely more difficult than the most difficult problems from the latter- only a consideration once you're in to the single digit kyus. Jump level up does a much better job, in my opinion, of really drilling a wide range of concepts and has a much more organised structure.

I think starting with a beginners book + Level Up! + playing lots is the ideal introduction to the game. Having a stronger player comment on your games and to answer your questions is also hugely helpful, and you'll always find someone willing around here.

All the best