It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello from a short time lurker!
Post #1 Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:04 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 4
OGS: DyinRich
Hi all, I'm Karl from St. Louis. I've been lurking this forum for the past few months since I really started playing go back in August. I grew up having a passing interest in Go, I remember watching Hikaru No Go (not sure how I found it, Toonami maybe?) and begging my mom for a Go board. She got me a simple one with very small stones, but I was young and had no one to play with. I couldn't understand the rules of the game either.

I lost that Go board many years ago and found a new interest after watching the AlphaGo documentary. I was interested and picked up another cheap board from a garage sale and started doing some life and death problems. I was always afraid of playing online (still am sometimes!) and reached out to my local AGA chapter, but then Covid hit and I was unable to play. Back into the closet went the board and stones. I reached out again to the club and we started meeting again weekly! Its been a really enjoyable experience getting to learn the game and meet fellow players who have so much more skill than myself. I think I've learned a lot in a short time, but for now have only been playing 13x13 games until I really feel comfortable with the fundamentals.

So far my study regimen is the one or two games I get in each week at the club's meet up and reviewing them with my opponents, by myself, and with AI, working through Cho Chikun's life and death problems, and reading through The Second Book of Go by Richard Bozulich.

Excited to be here and hope to become a semi regular face!

This post by OnColdCliff was liked by 4 people: Elom0, gennan, jlt, Knotwilg