It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fighting Fundamentals -- Impressions
Post #1 Posted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:59 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
First, I apologize to Robert for being so late to write up something about his book, Fighting Fundamentals.

Back in late November last year (around Nov 22, 2013), Robert mailed me a copy from Germany.
The book arrived in excellent condition here in California on Dec 2, 2013:
Attachment:
2013_12Dec_02-24.jpg
2013_12Dec_02-24.jpg [ 139.2 KiB | Viewed 16385 times ]
Attachment:
2013_12Dec_02-25.jpg
2013_12Dec_02-25.jpg [ 152.65 KiB | Viewed 16385 times ]
(For some bizarre reason, the two photos are rotated 90 degrees.
They should be "vertical", with resolution 480x640. I don't know why when I uploaded them here,
they got rotated sideways. :( )

The agreement was that Robert would send me a copy of the book,
and in return I would post a review of it.

I did a very quick scan of the book (every page), and started writing down notes.
But a combination of things happening in life and my procrastination,
and I never actually started writing (except for pencil notes on pages of the book.)

I have never written a review of a book before, and this task seems very big.

So instead of one giant review, I'm going to post (much) shorter "impressions" here in this thread.
From time to time I'll probably come back and edit them.

This post by EdLee was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, lemmata

Post subject:
Post #2 Posted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:14 pm 
Honinbo

Fighting Fundamentals, by Robert Jasiek.

Version and date (printed on page 2): 1; 2013-05-27
Also on page 2 is a handwritten (what I assume) license number: 0007 0079192.
(The "1" looks the capital Greek letter lambda Λ; I think it's the digit one. :) )

Packaging of the book: excellent. The book arrived in mint condition (see photos in previous post),
with sufficient protection and padding inside the envelope.

Quality of the paper of the book covers: Excellent. (Thicker than a normal business card.)

Quality of the inside paper: Excellent.

Unfortunately, I don't know the professional measurements of the various paper thicknesses.
I also don't have a caliper. Otherwise I can get an estimate of how many pages per inch or cm, etc.

But I can tell the book covers are thicker than all my other paperback Go book covers.
My copy of Invincible is hardcover, so we cannot compare apples and oranges.
This is also the first and only copy of Robert's book I have, so I cannot compare its paper quality
to his other books.

The inside pages are also thicker than the pages of my Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go,
and the pages of my joseki dictionaries by Takao and Ishida.

The binding seems sturdy. I also don't know the professional terms of the quality of the glue.
Of course, only time will tell how this book stands up to use.

But I am very impressed by the quality of the "hardware" (i.e. the papers) of the book.
If all paperback Go books were produced with this quality of paper, I'd be very happy.
(Of course, it would probably result in high prices.)

This post by EdLee was liked by: Bonobo

Post subject:
Post #3 Posted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:51 pm 
Honinbo

Suggestion for improvement: currently, the book uses the so-called "dumb" or typewriter quotation marks:

'typewriter single quotes'
apostrophe: Tom's cat
"typerwriter double quotes"

Personally, I much prefer the curly versions:

‘Curly single quotes’
apostrophe: Tom’s cat
“Curly double quotes”

I set the font to Times here because it looks similar or identical to the font used in the book.

Post subject:
Post #4 Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:08 am 
Honinbo

I apologize for the following excerpt, but I want to show the difference between the two different quote styles:

Currently in the book (page 15):
Besides the well known types of life and death, such as 'independently alive', 'alive in seki', 'dead', 'direct ko', 'approach ko' and so on, life occurs in life degrees. 'Unsettled' is a weaker degree than 'independently alive, but the attacker can play sente moves' and much weaker than 'independently alive and the attack needs successive moves, before the defender need reply'.
I much prefer the curly versions:
Besides the well known types of life and death, such as ‘independently alive’, ‘alive in seki’, ‘dead’, ‘direct ko’, ‘approach ko’ and so on, life occurs in life degrees. ‘Unsettled’ is a weaker degree than ‘independently alive, but the attacker can play sente moves’ and much weaker than ‘independently alive and the attack needs successive moves, before the defender need reply’.
( The bolded terms are in the book; they are not my emphases. )

Post subject:
Post #5 Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:29 am 
Honinbo

Suggestion for improvement: some of the names of pro games are italicized, and some are not.
Pick one style and use it 100 per cent throughout the book.

For example, on Dec 9, 2013, I spent only 9 minutes 41 seconds to scan every page of the book,
looking through all the pro game names and marked all the inconsistent italics.

Page 24: Example 9: Kim Se-tong 2p - Song T'ae-kon 9p - 2011-04-26.

Page 31: Example 1: Ishida Akira 9p - Kong Xiangming 7p - 1985-06-01.

On Page 37, we see both usages on the same page:

Page 37: Example 2: Otake Hideo 9p - Kudo Norio 9p - 1978-03-30.

Page 37: Example 3: Oyama Kunio 9p - Ushinohama Satsuo 9p - 1982-10-28.

Post subject: Re: Fighting Fundamentals -- Impressions
Post #6 Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:37 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
So far your review is mainly about the construction of the physical book and the arrangements of the italics and quote styles. What can you tell us about the usefulness of the book to a go player seeking to learn how to fight better and how this book compares with other books that are available? Are there areas that you think need to be further elaborated for clarity of thought?

This post by tchan001 was liked by: Bantari

Post #7 Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:44 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
Paper and binding: careful interaction between publisher and printer play a great role in getting good results. Of course, choosing the right papers is an important factor.

The usual font is Times New Roman.

Typography: the style of quotation marks also is a matter of preference. Typography in general: getting this right is beyond average readers' preference for go book prices. My rough estimate is that good typography would result in EUR 3 increments of a book's price.

Italics for player information: the concept in this book has been to use italics when the player information is followed by regular contents in the same paragraph and otherwise to avoid italics. So (I hope) it is consistent throughout the book, but maybe always italics would have been better or maybe it is another matter of personal preference.

Post subject:
Post #8 Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:49 am 
Honinbo

Question for Robert (and more about this in later posts): I assume your native language is German ?

Have you written much about Go in your native language (German) ?
For example, all your published English Go books -- did you first write all of them in German ?
And then you translated them into English, or, did you write them directly in English ?
Are there German-language versions of your English Go books ?

I'm wondering whether other native, professional German writers (or editors) have reviewed any of your writing in your native language ?

Post subject:
Post #9 Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:57 am 
Honinbo

tchan,
Quote:
instead of one giant review, I'm going to post (much) shorter "impressions" here in this thread.

Post #10 Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:02 am 
Judan

I am a native German. I write the books in English. Usually, their English is proofread by native British English speakers for easily apparent spelling, grammar and style mistakes. They are proofread a few times by myself. I do not write in German because that would mean very much extra time (ca. 6 - 8 additional weeks, I guess) for writing, translation and proofreading. For similar reasons, I have not translated my books to German yet.

Post subject:
Post #11 Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:08 am 
Honinbo

Robert, Thank you for your reply.

Post subject: Re:
Post #12 Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 6:51 am 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
EdLee wrote:
Also on page 2 is a handwritten (what I assume) license number: 0007 0079192.
(The "1" looks the capital Greek letter lambda Λ; I think it's the digit one. :) )
It is the German (European?) way to write digit one :-) the left leg of lambda is as long as the right one, in digit 1 this is not the case. Also, if you look at Times, Helvetica, etc., all the “one”s have this little hook to the left :-)
Every German will recognize these as 1, 7, and 9 (the little “tail” to the right at the bottom of the 1 is a common little slip of the pen in handwriting. These are digits written by RJ in one of his books that I own:
Attachment:
File comment: 1 … one
1.JPG
1.JPG [ 7.93 KiB | Viewed 16306 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: 7 … seven
7.JPG
7.JPG [ 8.05 KiB | Viewed 16306 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: 9 … nine
9.JPG
9.JPG [ 7.41 KiB | Viewed 16306 times ]

EdLee wrote:
Suggestion for improvement: currently, the book uses the so-called "dumb" or typewriter quotation marks [..]
Personally, I much prefer the curly versions [..]
It’s even worse. Dumb single and double quote marks are the same as foot/inch marks.

The “curly” quotation marks are also called “typographic” quote marks, BTW, and for a reason … they are not “nicer” but make the text actually more readable. I have remarked this before …

RobertJasiek wrote:
[..] The usual font is Times New Roman.
Uhm, yes, TOO usual, as in “too common” (but OK, it’s readable).

Quote:
Typography: the style of quotation marks also is a matter of preference.
Well, plainly said: this is nonsense. Form has to follow function. Ugly is counterproductive. I apologize for the pain this may mean to you, but … it simply is true.

Quote:
Typography in general: getting this right is beyond average readers' preference for go book prices. My rough estimate is that good typography would result in EUR 3 increments of a book's price.
I’m quite sure it is NOT beyond average readers’ preference, but I get the impression it is beyond your will to find the appropriate keyboard shortcuts—or editing preferences in the program of your choice … or the software you use for typesetting is simply inappropriate = unprofessional.

Also, I would gladly pay 3 € more (or make that 5 €) for a properly typeset book (if the content is worth it at all).

RobertJasiek wrote:
I am a native German. I write the books in English.
It definitely still shows, but I noticed that the quality of your English in your last books has improved.

Quote:
Usually, their English is proofread by native British English speakers for easily apparent spelling, grammar and style mistakes.
TBH, it’s still not enough for my taste, sometimes it is really painful to read it, especially if one can imagine your German thoughts behind a sentence. (I’m also German, but I began speaking English at age of four, reading/writing DE and EN at age of five.)

Quote:
They are proofread a few times by myself.
Oh well <shrug> I guess I don’t need to repeat how almost useless it is to proofread one’s own writing.

Quote:
I do not write in German because that would mean very much extra time (ca. 6 - 8 additional weeks, I guess) for writing, translation and proofreading. For similar reasons, I have not translated my books to German yet.
<sigh> I dearly wish you’d write your books in German first, since you probably underestimate the interest our fellow German Go players would show in your books. Many of them are not fluent in English, and reading your sometimes clumsy English surely is harder for them than reading perfect English.

But I repeat: it has gotten better, and I still read your books despite their linguistic and typographic shortcomings.

Robert, you are not only the author but also the publisher, and it shows that, except for your own experience in writing and publishing yourself, you have little experience in publishing. And most people don't read content like programmers read code (which I assume you do). (But even code is more readable with appropriate indentation and blank lines ;-) )

My recommendations (and you are free to disregard them ;-) )
  1. Respect your own content!
    This means: wrap the gift of your content in appropriate gift wrapping paper, which physically you’re already doing mostly, as EdLee decribes. I would probably change the design and colour of the cover, but I assume that would cost you 4.75 hours per book which you’d consider better spent on writing books, so … I’m not holding my breath ;-)

It also means to make your text readable in any way possible, this includes font & typography, style of writing, etc.

If I have an important message to convey, it is my responsibility to make this message easy to receive for the audience.
    If I pay little respect to the form of my message, the broad audience will tend to assume that the content is as sloppy and faulty as the form and therefore disregard it—without verifying their assumption.

2. Respect your reader!
    This means: don’t offend your reader with bad design und unreadable text.

Typography is not just about text being “pretty”.
    I leave it to you to do some research and educate yourself about typography and readability, about reading psychology and how “the average reader” “subconsciously” accepts or discards content just because of its form.

BTW you will find that most of 1. also applies to 2.

3. Write your books in German FIRST.
    And, no matter whether you are going to publish them in German, only THEN translate them into English. Or better, have them translated by a (competent) native speaker of English who also is a (competent) Go player.

The language we think in makes a difference in how we write. Have you ever dreamt in English? Do you, at least sometimes, think in English? If not, then you should stay with writing German books.

I believe it may even be better to publish in German first, even of the expected purchasing audience is a LOT smaller, because IF the books are worth reading (and having read in three or four of your books, I am convinced they are!), there will be requests for having them available in English, too.
    Yes, it will take longer, but in the long run it will be worth it, both for you and your readers.

Bitteschön, gern geschehen :-)

Herzliche Grüße, Tom
dearly hopes he didn’t make any serious editing mistakes in this sermon (-;

Post #13 Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:46 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
I can only chime in saying that if the book is typeset (for instance) in TeX/LaTeX, most TeX editors (emacs, TexShop too, I think, and most I have used before) can automatically turn "" expressions into neater quotation marks before rendering.

I read the book and liked it, as stated elsewhere. I think complaining about this is quite nitpicking: I've read quite a lot of go books which are way, way worse, specially in the translation sense (I checked the Spanish translation of a book in SmartGo and it was so bad it hurts,) but also in the typographical, paper quality and diagram quality, but we usually skip these items when thinking about these books. Robert pays a lot of attention to this, though, and this is commendable.

Post #14 Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:59 am 
Judan

Bonobo, if I applied your ideas on typography, I would need to stop writing books, because I would spend too much time per book. You still do not realise that go books do NOT sell 5000 copies each. A properly typesetted, perfectly proofread, German first etc. book would cost at least EUR 20 ~ 30 more. Maybe YOU want to pay this amount (EUR 40 or 50), but I assure you that the average go player does not want to spend that much money per book.

This post by RobertJasiek was liked by: RBerenguel

Post subject: Re: Re:
Post #15 Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:48 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 114
Was liked: 176
Bonobo wrote:
RobertJasiek wrote:
Oh well <shrug> I guess I don’t need to repeat how almost useless it is to proofread one’s own writing.

As a former editor, I just have to say

Post subject: Re: Re:
Post #16 Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:49 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 114
Was liked: 176
Bonobo wrote:
RobertJasiek wrote:

As a former editor, I just have to say (don't bother telling me about double negatives if you don't get it)

Attachments:
Rodney.jpg
Rodney.jpg [ 6.62 KiB | Viewed 16257 times ]

This post by Aidoneus was liked by: Bonobo

Post subject:
Post #17 Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:01 pm 
Honinbo

Bonobo wrote:
It is the German (European?) way to write digit one :-) the left leg of lambda is as long as the right one, in digit 1 this is not the case.
Interesting, thanks! :)

Post subject: Re:
Post #18 Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:58 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
EdLee wrote:
tchan,
Quote:
instead of one giant review, I'm going to post (much) shorter "impressions" here in this thread.

I think the purpose of a review/impression should be to help others make the decision if the book is worth buying or not. All this stuff about paper thickness and cover quality, and quotes and italics, are not very helpful in this respect. I think if you take time to write something, you could have done a much better service by writing a few words/impressions about the actual content rather than concentrating about packaging. Just personal opinion.

You know the saying: don't judge a book by its cover? Yes?

Post #19 Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:32 pm 
Judan

Poor Ed. He seems to intend writing a lot about the book and is scolded for not already having finished...

This post by RobertJasiek was liked by: Bonobo

Post #20 Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:12 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
RobertJasiek wrote:
Poor Ed. He seems to intend writing a lot about the book and is scolded for not already having finished...

In this case, my apologies.
I got mislead by the ass-backward approach.
I seriously expected to lead with the important stuff and and then fizzle down to paper thickness.

But, of course, you are correct.
Again - my apologies.