It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The "Baduktopia" Books
Post #1 Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:57 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 18
Universal go server handle: Yukontodd
Online playing schedule: Find me on OGS these days.
This is a little premature for a review, but when I came to look up or ask a question about the "rank calibration" of these books, I was surprised to find not an entry about them, so I figured I should mention my experience of them briefly.

These ten books, Level Up 1-10, plus two review books, one for 1-5 the other for 6-10, are aimed at kids, and include a glossy manga style comic at the beginning of each book. I don't yet have volumes 1-5 but I'm getting them too because my wife actually expressed some interest in learning from them after checking out my Level Up 6!

These are a systematic approach to learning Baduk (Go), from beginner to 10 kyu. Yes, it's for kids, but I think it's quite a rigorous course nontheless. I think that "10 kyu" is more like a Korean 10 kyu, which is somewhere around 6 kyu-ish or better. I have done level 6 and 7, and am already starting to fill in some gaps in my knowledge. It also drills you in review on things to keep you fresh. It's a great system to work through, so far.

After the "Level Up" Series, there is the "Jump Level Up" series, meant to take intermediates up to dan level. Along with these books, Baduktopia is also releasing "Essential Life and Death" volumes 1-4 in English; these are calibrated at 15 kyu running up to 3 dan in volume 4, and the Joseki Jeungseuk Compass, which is pretty much like it sounds: a Joseki resource which I haven't yet had time to more than glance at.

The answer keys for the Level Up books are all available for download from baduktopia's site; the answer key for the "Jump" books seems harder to come by, but all the rest of the books are available from YMI; they were more widely available, hopefully they will be again. These seem excellent, so far.

Again, I just thought I should give these guys a quick and dirty plug, given that the US Go congress is going on and people might be looking to pick up some books direct from the Baduktopia dealers if the Baduktopia folks are in attendance. *sigh* Wish I were there.

This post by Yukontodd was liked by 2 people: bloosqr, Bonobo

Post subject: Re: The "Baduktopia" Books
Post #2 Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:08 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
The Lee Sedol books are also from Baduktopia ;)

Post #3 Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:19 pm 
Dies in gote

tchan001 wrote:
The Lee Sedol books are also from Baduktopia ;)

True, but they're a horse of a different colour; and I haven't invested in them yet.:)

Post #4 Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:10 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 25
Was liked: 19
KGS: Mages
Tygem: Mages
IGS: Mage
Online playing schedule: Weekends.
Thanks for the review. I was looking for some comments on the "Level Up" series recently, from people who have used them; Ordered them this week and am waiting excitedly for them to arrive !

Post #5 Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:37 pm 
Dies in gote

Actually, I should have put a plug in for a friend of mine to begin with. There are some more in-depth reviews of the level up series to be found over on www.bengozen.com (and it's a fun blog you should be reading anyways.)

This post by Yukontodd was liked by 2 people: bloosqr, Bonobo

Post #6 Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:14 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
On end of every book (from Level Up Series) are three tests. Every with 20 problems.

What is best practice for test children ? Done all three test or only one ? When advance to next level - when I pass all three tests ? What happen when I do not pass some test - repeat all book ?

Post #7 Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:12 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 20
Universal go server handle: bengozen
LGolem wrote:
On end of every book (from Level Up Series) are three tests. Every with 20 problems.

What is best practice for test children ? Done all three test or only one ? When advance to next level - when I pass all three tests ? What happen when I do not pass some test - repeat all book ?

If you found the level tests to be difficult, I would recommend studying the sections you got questions wrong on. Unless you're super committed to really reviewing, then you're welcome to start the whole book over. Those are my two cents!

Post #8 Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:13 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 20
Universal go server handle: bengozen
Yukontodd wrote:
Actually, I should have put a plug in for a friend of mine to begin with. There are some more in-depth reviews of the level up series to be found over on http://www.bengozen.com (and it's a fun blog you should be reading anyways.)

Thanks Todd! I appreciate it!