It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ranking Systems: Have you considered TrueSkill?
Post #1 Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:46 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 272
Was liked: 126
Have you considered using a post-modern ranking system designed specifically for online games, such as Microsoft's TrueSkill, instead of a Go-specific rank?

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/trueskill/

I recently discovered TrueSkill in the Google A.I. Challenge (Ants) that ended in December, last year. I know it isn't designed for Go so it wouldn't yield dan and kyu rankings but no existing online servers give very good dan or kyu rankings anyway. Consider KGS, for instance, with its vastly skewed ranking system. (I'm four ranks stronger on KGS than on our national system, here in South Africa)

What TrueSkill does give you is some indication of confidence.

Of course, using something like this would demand some research into handicapping against skill-differences.

Eventually, I suppose you could find some players who are ranked in real life and use their real-world ranks to seed the system and thereby assign dan and kyu ranks, too.

Post subject: Re: Ranking Systems: Have you considered TrueSkill?
Post #2 Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:54 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
The server currently uses Glicko2, which means it already has confidence inbuilt - what advantages would TrueSkill provide?

Post #3 Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:17 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 114
Quote:
Consider KGS, for instance, with its vastly skewed ranking system. (I'm four ranks stronger on KGS than on our national system, here in South Africa)

KGS' ranking system isn't intended to predict players South African rating system grades, nor is there any particular reason for it to do so.

Post #4 Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:44 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 8
KGS: gurujeet
DGS: gfromdc
The TrueSkill algorithm was built to also be able to assign credit to an individual in team play. This could be interesting in go if one were to think of handicap and komi as pseudo-players on a team with their own rating. The algorithm would adjust the individual's contribution while also takiing into account contributions from the 'team'. More information on the algorithm can be found here: http://research.microsoft.com/apps/pubs/default.aspx?id=67956.

The team behind the research are go players and also resposible for the AI in the XBox game The Path of Go.

- gurujeet

Post #5 Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:35 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 152
Was liked: 330
GD Posts: 1193
KGS: lavalamp
Tygem: imapenguin
IGS: lavalamp
OGS: daniel_the_smith
TrueSkill would be good for rating rengo games... :)

This post by daniel_the_smith was liked by: yoyoma

Post #6 Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:10 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 2339
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
Charlie wrote:
Have you considered using a post-modern ranking system designed specifically for online games, such as Microsoft's TrueSkill, instead of a Go-specific rank?

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/trueskill/

I recently discovered TrueSkill in the Google A.I. Challenge (Ants) that ended in December, last year. I know it isn't designed for Go so it wouldn't yield dan and kyu rankings but no existing online servers give very good dan or kyu rankings anyway. Consider KGS, for instance, with its vastly skewed ranking system. (I'm four ranks stronger on KGS than on our national system, here in South Africa)

What TrueSkill does give you is some indication of confidence.

Of course, using something like this would demand some research into handicapping against skill-differences.

Eventually, I suppose you could find some players who are ranked in real life and use their real-world ranks to seed the system and thereby assign dan and kyu ranks, too.

There is nothing new about TrueSkill. Remi Coulom used it as one of the comparison systems in his research. See the paper for his results: http://remi.coulom.free.fr/WHR/. As far as the comment on KGS, I believe you have (inadvertently perhaps) said more about the South African rating system than KGS. :blackeye:

Post #7 Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:06 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 70
Was liked: 8
KGS: Sujisan 12 kyu
OGS: Sujisan 13 kyu
You can't really compare your South African rank with your rank on KGS. Here's why: They have two completely different pools of players, and all a ranking is, is a comparison of how well you are playing within that pool of players.