Post #21 Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:35 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
Antti won by 2.5 points. Very interesting game

Post subject: European Go Championship
Post #22 Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:35 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 94
Universal go server handle: tommyray (1d/2d)
Antti won by 2.5 point.

Post subject: Re: European Go Championship
Post #23 Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:50 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 17
Was liked: 12
tj86430 wrote:
Any result on Antti vs Pavol?

Antti won by 2,5 points.
edit: way too slow :D

Post subject: European Go Championship
Post #24 Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:51 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 94
Universal go server handle: tommyray (1d/2d)
Ask once - get multiple answers :). L19 !

Post #25 Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:40 pm 
Dies with sente

Round 4 results are in (they took their time today): http://egc2013.go.art.pl/EGC2013_main.html

Poll, in order of tournament ranking:

1. Fan Hui ================== Won | 4W/0L
    1. Antti Tormanen =========== Won | 4W/0L
    3. Pavol Lisy ================ Lost | 3W/1L
    3. Mateusz Surma ============ Lost | 3W/1L
    8. Thomas Debarre =========== Won | 3W/1L
    8. Breakfast ================= Won | 3W/1L
    8. Ilya Shikshin ============== Won | 3W/1L
    13. Ondrej Silt =============== Won | 4W/0L (-1 point, see above)
    16. Csaba Mero ============== Won | 2W/2L
    29. Ali Jabarin =============== Lost | 2W/2L
    35. Cornel Burzo ============= Won | 2W/2L

As we already know, Antti and Fan Hui continue on as the only undefeated players in the top group with MMS of 38. I can't wait for tomorrow's match between them - will Antti be able to put up a fight against Fan? Also a nice touch for Europeans is that Thomas Debarre beat Kim Won-Tae, a 7-dan Korean.

Altogether at the "second" spot at MMS of 37 there are currently 11 people, including Juri Kuronen as the second Finn =)

This post by walpurgis was liked by: RBerenguel

Post #26 Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:00 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Antti lost to Fan. It couldn't be less surprising after round 5:

Fan is at 5 wins.
Antti Tormanen, Pavol Lisy, Mateusz Surma, Thomas Debarre, Alexandr Dinerstein, Ilja Shikshin and Ondrej Silt have 4 wins*.

I believe that if you took the top rated competitors, dropped Artem and Csaba Mero, then added Mateusz, you'd have this list.

*(Ondrej has 5 wins, but started in a non-supergroup bracket).

Post #27 Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:54 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 202
Was liked: 1087
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
Ilja Shikshin won the weekend tournament with a perfect 5/5 score.
Fan Hui came second with 4/5, losing to Shikshin in round 4.
Ali Jabarin came third, also with 4/5, losing to Fan in round 3.

Post #28 Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:43 am 
Dies with sente

Round 5 results: http://egc2013.go.art.pl/EGC2013_main.html

Poll, in order of tournament ranking:

1. Fan Hui ================== Won | 5W/0L
    2. Antti Tormanen =========== Lost | 4W/1L
    3. Pavol Lisy ================ Won | 4W/1L
    3. Mateusz Surma ============ Won | 4W/1L
    5. Thomas Debarre =========== Won | 4W/1L
    6. Ilya Shikshin ============== Won | 4W/1L
    7. Breakfast ================= Won | 4W/1L
    8. Ondrej Silt ================ Won | 5W/0L (-1 point, see above)
    19. Ali Jabarin =============== Won | 3W/2L
    26. Cornel Burzo ============= Won | 3W/2L
    27. Csaba Mero ============== Lost | 2W/3L

The weekend tournament round 4 game between Ilya and Fan marked Fan's first loss during the EGC. I'm hoping someone can repeat the feat in the main tournament to keep the chamionship open for as long as possible. Anyway, the game was quite typical of Ilya: full of fighting, ending with Ilya killing a big dragon. Worth having a look.

Antti is also covering his games (up to round 3 so far) on his blog: http://gooften.net/
---

Ilya Shikshin vs. Fan Hui - Weekend Tournament Round 4

Attachments:
Ilya Shikshin - Fan Hui.sgf [79.26 KiB]
Downloaded 778 times

Post #29 Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:53 am 
Gosei

Round 6 results are up.

Fan keeps winning (beat Pavol Lisy), but next round he plays Shikshin...

Debarre keeps up strong performance by beating Dinerchtein

After round 7, there will be a top 8 KO for the title, so the next round is very important. All the players from places 5-16 need to win this round to keep a chance for the title. Numbers 1-4 are already certain to reach the play-offs.

Post #30 Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:50 am 
Dies with sente

HermanHiddema wrote:
Round 6 results are up.

Fan keeps winning (beat Pavol Lisy), but next round he plays Shikshin...

Debarre keeps up strong performance by beating Dinerchtein

After round 7, there will be a top 8 KO for the title, so the next round is very important. All the players from places 5-16 need to win this round to keep a chance for the title. Numbers 1-4 are already certain to reach the play-offs.

KO = knockout tournament? Does that mean that if you're in the top 8 and lose on round 8, you can't become the champion? Or will they keep their MMS from previous rounds and continue as normal, just within their "mini-tournament"?

Post #31 Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:58 am 
Gosei

walpurgis wrote:
KO = knockout tournament? Does that mean that if you're in the top 8 and lose on round 8, you can't become the champion? Or will they keep their MMS from previous rounds and continue as normal, just within their "mini-tournament"?

Yes, knock-out.

After round 7, there is a play-off first to determine the top 8, which goes like this:

Take the best 16 Europeans (MMS + SOS)

Pair 1 with 16, 2 with 15, 3 with 14, etc.

If one of the players in the pair has more MMS (after round 7), they qualify for the KO without playing.

If the players have the same MMS, they play a game on Wednesday. The winner qualifies for the KO.

Now we have exactly 8 players, who play direct knock-out in the last three rounds (Thu, Fri, Sat). So if you lose any of those three games, you are not European Champion, even if you had better MMS at the start of the KO.

Post #32 Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:11 am 
Dies with sente

A-ha, I see. Thanks for the information.

Post #33 Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:26 am 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
HermanHiddema wrote:
walpurgis wrote:

Yes, knock-out.

After round 7, there is a play-off first to determine the top 8, which goes like this:

Take the best 16 Europeans (MMS + SOS)

Pair 1 with 16, 2 with 15, 3 with 14, etc.

If one of the players in the pair has more MMS (after round 7), they qualify for the KO without playing.

If the players have the same MMS, they play a game on Wednesday. The winner qualifies for the KO.

Now we have exactly 8 players, who play direct knock-out in the last three rounds (Thu, Fri, Sat). So if you lose any of those three games, you are not European Champion, even if you had better MMS at the start of the KO.

That seems very unfair. The winner should be the one with the best performance over the entire tournament.

Post #34 Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:30 am 
Gosei

Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
DrStraw wrote:
That seems very unfair. The winner should be the one with the best performance over the entire tournament.

I wholeheartedly agree, though I think a fair fairer thing would be a 3-4 game league with the best 4 or best 8. Too long to work, but it would make it clearer for who is "the best."

The KO league method is used in many sports, though (the first example for me would be the Spanish first division basketball championship.)

Post #35 Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:37 am 
Oza

Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
RBerenguel wrote:
DrStraw wrote:

I wholeheartedly agree, though I think a fair fairer thing would be a 3-4 game league with the best 4 or best 8. Too long to work, but it would make it clearer for who is "the best."

The KO league method is used in many sports, though (the first example for me would be the Spanish first division basketball championship.)

Which is an excellent reason NOT to use it for go, or any other mental pursuit.

Post #36 Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:57 am 
Gosei

DrStraw wrote:
RBerenguel wrote:
DrStraw wrote:

Which is an excellent reason NOT to use it for go, or any other mental pursuit.

I don't think that the fact that it is used in many sports makes it unreasonable for go. There are of course arguments for and against, but this fact alone should not be one of them.

Post #37 Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:58 am 
Gosei

DrStraw wrote:

Well, you can probably find a score of older threads about it, but here's a quick summary:

This system was introduced because in many recent years the EC was decided on SOS or even SODOS. And the reason for that was that many strong Asian players (especially Korean 7d amateurs) participated and took all the top places in the McMahon. So the EC was mostly decided by: which round did you get paired against the Koreans? (early round? bad for SOS, no EC for you).

So then there was talk of: Maybe we should only pair the European top players against each other. Never pair Asian players against the top 16/24/32 European. That is what they did in Hamburg in 88, and as a result all the strong Japanese visitors spent two weeks playing other Japanese. Not much fun, not very welcoming of us, people felt.

So this system is a sort of compromise. You have to do good enough in the first 7 rounds to make the cut, and after that it is just Europeans amongst themselves.

Is it perfect? No, but a lot of systems are not. It is good enough.

This post by HermanHiddema was liked by: lobotommy

Post #38 Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:02 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
HermanHiddema wrote:

I think this sounds quite exciting, and although I understand what's unfair about the possibility that the most consistent player might not end up becoming the European Champion, the winner will have nonetheless been the only player with no losses in the KO round. All three games and especially the final, will be played against the top players in what is surely the atmosphere of a pressure cooker. The winner certainly deserves the title.

Post #39 Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:14 am 
Gosei

daal wrote:
I think this sounds quite exciting, and although I understand what's unfair about the possibility that the most consistent player might not end up becoming the European Champion, the winner will have nonetheless been the only player with no losses in the KO round. All three games and especially the final, will be played against the top players in what is surely the atmosphere of a pressure cooker. The winner certainly deserves the title.

One of the advantages of the system is that it is much easier to explain at the end.

Under the old system, you could have a last round situation like: These 7 players can still win the EC, provided they win this round, but who wins then also depends on the results of 30 other players, some of whom may be playing on board 50 or so.

Try telling that to a passing journalist :)

Post #40 Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:53 am 
Oza

HermanHiddema wrote:
DrStraw wrote:

Well, you can probably find a score of older threads about it, but here's a quick summary:

This system was introduced because in many recent years the EC was decided on SOS or even SODOS. And the reason for that was that many strong Asian players (especially Korean 7d amateurs) participated and took all the top places in the McMahon. So the EC was mostly decided by: which round did you get paired against the Koreans? (early round? bad for SOS, no EC for you).

So then there was talk of: Maybe we should only pair the European top players against each other. Never pair Asian players against the top 16/24/32 European. That is what they did in Hamburg in 88, and as a result all the strong Japanese visitors spent two weeks playing other Japanese. Not much fun, not very welcoming of us, people felt.

So this system is a sort of compromise. You have to do good enough in the first 7 rounds to make the cut, and after that it is just Europeans amongst themselves.

Is it perfect? No, but a lot of systems are not. It is good enough.

Well, it still seems unfair to me. Why not take those 8 players and following the KO process but maintain the MMS, SOS and SODOS scores already earned?