It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: OGS
Post #21 Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:26 am 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
DrStraw wrote:
Thanks. I guess it is not a big deal. DGS provides the capability also and it cannot be prevented their either. It cannot even be identified there as far as I know.

On the other hand, it was a bit irritating this morning to watch him playing out numerous 30 move sequences in his review game before answering my move. Especially as many of them were ridiculous sequences, which implies he is not really able to separate good from bad without this crutch.

Is there a way to prevent him from accepting any future challenges I may put up?

Post #22 Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:17 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
You can abort the game before you play any moves. I don't know if there's a more automatic way to do it.

Post #23 Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:44 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 55
Is the "game review" option available when the "game analysis"/"conditional moves" have been disabled?
If that's the case, I think that a bug report should be filled.

The thing that annoys me about OGS is the number of small bugs that seem to last forever to be fixed, with development time being wasted on bigger but arguably less important features.

Post #24 Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:13 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 92
Was liked: 80
KGS: LocoRon
DrStraw wrote:
Is there a way to prevent him from accepting any future challenges I may put up?

Click on his name (either in the chat log or in the player info field and a little box should pop up with a number of icons in it.

There should be a circle with a line through it (and if you hover your mouse cursor over it, it should display the text "Moderation Controls"). Click on that, and in the dialog that pops up select "Block user from accepting my open games."

This post by LocoRon was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, DrStraw

Post #25 Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:46 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
hyperpape wrote:
You can abort the game before you play any moves. I don't know if there's a more automatic way to do it.

In the first 20 moves that you can click Cancel Game instead* of Resign and the game ends without being ranked.
*In fact you can't resign in the first 20 moves but can only cancel, which I don't like, both because if my opponent screws up some joseki in the first 20 moves he can just cancel without giving me the win (and vice versa I can't reward someone who beats me in the first 20 moves) and also because after cancelling a game you cannot start a new game for several minutes (an ill-thought out fix for the problem of troublesome users going round accepting people's game offers and then cancelling or not playing in them), but that means if I accept an open offer where the opponent never plays because they are away-from-keyboard or a troublemaker or whatever then I have to wait a few minutes to find a new game (so the fix for the problem of game-offer-cancellers creates a new problem of game-creator-afks).

Calvin Clark wrote:
Fairly recently I had a problem where I could not play a move. I would click multiple times but nothing would show up. To me, that's a showstopper. That was with the latest Chrome on Windows. And I was still able to chat with the opponent so it was not a network problem.

I remember the same problem from the Nova days, so it gave me the impression that OGS hadn't improved since then. Perhaps that's a harsh judgement.

Has anybody seen that problem?

I fairly often get an "Error submitting move" modal dialog that pops up obscuring the board and preventing me from attempting to play the move again. Do you get this? The "solution" is to reload the page, but as OGS pages are so heavy that often takes more than 30 seconds so I lose a byo-yomi period or the game.

Post #26 Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:58 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 39
Was liked: 30
OGS: Wulfenia
Uberdude wrote:
after cancelling a game you cannot start a new game for several minutes (an ill-thought out fix for the problem of troublesome users going round accepting people's game offers and then cancelling or not playing in them),

However, since one can play multiple games simultaneously, one can start a new game and *then* cancel the previous game.

Post #27 Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:02 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Gotraskhalana wrote:
Uberdude wrote:
after cancelling a game you cannot start a new game for several minutes (an ill-thought out fix for the problem of troublesome users going round accepting people's game offers and then cancelling or not playing in them),

However, since one can play multiple games simultaneously, one can start a new game and *then* cancel the previous game.

Not true for real-time games for me. I have some vague feeling the ability to play multiple real-time games simultaneously may be a privilege earned by age of account, number of games played, being a paid member or some such?

Post #28 Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:35 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Uberdude wrote:
I have some vague feeling the ability to play multiple real-time games simultaneously may be a privilege earned by age of account, number of games played, being a paid member or some such?

I checked with anoek and matburt, the following are all restrictions that exist on OGS:

• Restriction for all new players
    • New players cannot accept multiple open live games until they've played 200 games, but they can send and receive direct challenges to play as many live games concurrently as they'd like.

• Supporter vs. non-supporter
    • Supporters don’t get ads.
    • Supporters accumulate more vacation time than non-supporters: 60 days, up from 30; and faster: 1 vacation day per 5 days, up from 1 day per 8 days.
      (Legacy feature from the old OGS, great benefit if you play a lot of correspondence games.)

HTH, Tom

This post by Bonobo was liked by: Uberdude