It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Chess cheating blog post
Post #41 Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:06 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 22
Was liked: 168
IGS: kvasir
Fide's fair play commission started an inquiry into Magnus and Hans. Then chess.com declared they would make more information public. Now as it happened this report was leaked or pre-released to the Wall Street Journal. Of course this happened on the eve of the US Championship.

I don't know how much Hans cheated online but Chess.com seems to think it was a lot and there will apparently be a 70+ page report according the Wall Street Journal. Still no real evidence for cheating in over the board in rated tournaments has been put forward or promised. Maybe Chess.com will explain sometime why famous chess players can repeatedly be caught cheating online without any complaint to Fide, US Chess or what ever the relevant federation is :scratch:

hyperpape wrote:
It sounds like you’re better informed than I am. I don’t yet have an opinion, I was just sharing to note that there’s an attempt to get evidence beyond gut feelings.

I think I meant to emphasis more that if there are links to good analysis it would be interesting to share, rather than that they are all bad. It just doesn't appear easy to make statistical analysis of chess that can expose over the board cheating and be convincing. I saw one claim of not finding any evidence, so far, it is mentioned in the video that was shared.

==Edit added a missing word

Last edited by kvasir on Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #42 Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:23 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 621
Was liked: 310
It is just a scheme to raise interest in chess by the way ;-)

Last ditch effort akin to blowin up your own pipeline

Similar success probability

My uncalled for advice: Who sticks to the rules rulez

Post #43 Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:49 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
On 2022-10-20, Hans Moke Niemann has initiated a complaint at the United States District Court, Eastern District of Missouri, Eastern Division against Magnus Carlsen, Play Magnus Group, Chess.com, Daniel Rensch and Hikaru Nakamura:

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... 08.1.0.pdf

"17. Accordingly, Niemann asserts the following claims against Defendants: (1) slander; (2) libel; (3) unlawful group boycott under the Sherman Act, 15 U.S.C. § 1, et. seq.; (4) tortious interference with contract and business expectancies; and (5) civil conspiracy.
18. Niemann seeks damages in an amount to be determined at trial, but no less than One Hundred Million Dollars ($100,000,000)."

According to Legal Information Institute on Sherman Act, 15 U.S.C. § 1,

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/15/1

"15 U.S. Code § 1 - Trusts, etc., in restraint of trade illegal; penalty

Every contract, combination in the form of trust or otherwise, or conspiracy, in restraint of trade or commerce among the several States, or with foreign nations, is declared to be illegal. Every person who shall make any contract or engage in any combination or conspiracy hereby declared to be illegal shall be deemed guilty of a felony, and, on conviction thereof, shall be punished by fine not exceeding $100,000,000 if a corporation, or, if any other person, $1,000,000, or by imprisonment not exceeding 10 years, or by both said punishments, in the discretion of the court."

Note that the complaint suggests "no less than $100,000,000" while the law suggests "not exceeding $100,000,000".

According to Wikipedia,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_(civil)

"A civil conspiracy is a form of conspiracy involving an agreement between two or more parties to deprive a third party of legal rights or deceive a third party to obtain an illegal objective. [...]"

Post #44 Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:35 pm 
Lives in sente

I am not sure what the process is exactly but I think filling the complaint is a prerequisite for serving it to the defendants. That is a whole process in itself. At some point a judge will be appointed to hold hearings on random things like changes to claims, summary dismissals, like in a TV legal drama. Probably this lawsuit is at a way to early stage to actually spend much time thinking about it. It is a civil case and an important difference from criminal cases is that there isn't a fixed script, the different parties can agree on how to conduct the trial and/or ask the judge to rule on what is appropriate if they disagree. If the parties agree more or less on what they think needs to be litigated then they could have a quick resolution but if they desire to waste time, argue in public and put on a circus show then that is possible. It is also a possibility that the different defendants will not agree among themself if they want a circus or not.

I haven't seen any news that the defendants were served or that a judge was appointed. I imagine it will be considered newsworthy if a judge were appointed for the case.

This post by kvasir was liked by: Elom0

Post #45 Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:32 pm 
Lives in sente

In the previous week or two all the defendants have filed motions to dismiss the lawsuit. Hans Niemann's lawyers will presumably file responses, then the defendants can file responses to that, then there could be a hearing. At least this is what I read in the rather biased Chess.com news coverage.

This post by kvasir was liked by: Elom0

Post #46 Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:13 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 154
Was liked: 118
KGS: Ferran
IGS: Ferran
OGS: Ferran
If you want a TLDR version of the current crossover between Chess&order and Rookenders...

Take care