It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: I'm trying to get fit!
Post #21 Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:22 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 53
Was liked: 171
GD Posts: 1104
KGS: fwiffo
The biggest problem with dieting without exercise is that the pounds you lose won't be the best kind. If you lose muscle, your metabolism will become slower and you'll have a harder time maintaining the lower weight. If you engage in at least some moderate exercise, you'll reduce the amount of muscle you lose in favor of losing fat, keeping your metabolism burning and give you a nicer body-shape.

Of course, as in go, and everything else in life, the key is balance. Too much of one thing or the other is as bad as too little. You'll actually be fairly miserable if you stick to a "perfect" diet. Even the very serious athletes have "cheat" days. Likewise, too much exercise, or too much of a particular kind of exercise will interfere with your life, make you give up out of frustration, or even tear your body down if you get to the point of over-training.

Post #22 Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:46 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 14
fwiffo wrote:
The biggest problem with dieting without exercise is that the pounds you lose won't be the best kind. If you lose muscle, your metabolism will become slower and you'll have a harder time maintaining the lower weight. If you engage in at least some moderate exercise, you'll reduce the amount of muscle you lose in favor of losing fat, keeping your metabolism burning and give you a nicer body-shape.

Of course, as in go, and everything else in life, the key is balance. Too much of one thing or the other is as bad as too little. You'll actually be fairly miserable if you stick to a "perfect" diet. Even the very serious athletes have "cheat" days. Likewise, too much exercise, or too much of a particular kind of exercise will interfere with your life, make you give up out of frustration, or even tear your body down if you get to the point of over-training.

But again - it's really very common for people who are fat to already have a decent level of muscle, to do sufficient exercise already, but to need to lose fat deposits without needing to gain muscle.

Fundamentally, fat does not equate to unfit. And it irritates me considerably - that as a fat person (even if much less so), I am assumed to be unfit. Where actually, I am and always have been quite fit. Eminently capable of, e.g., climbing mountains far more rapidly than a thin person who never exercises, or of swimming more lengths faster than them, or whatever.

Many thin people are unfit and unhealthy and need to take more exercise irrespective of their diets. Many fat people are perfectly fit, just with extra fat deposits which diet can well remedy without adding more exercise to their routines.

This post by simpkin was liked by: wms

Post #23 Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:56 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 12
GD Posts: 258
KGS: bbwlover
fwiffo wrote:
I think it's easy to underestimate the value of hitting the weights. Add a few pounds of muscle, and you burn more calories all the time. Calisthenics like push-ups pretty quickly become too easy and it's hard to add additional weight. Once you get to even like 15-20 reps, there's almost no benefit to doing more (if you want to work on endurance, running or whatever is better). One major exception are pull-ups. They're harder to start with and you can add weight with a weight belt or holding a dumbbell between your feet.

I respect your interest in keeping things simple and not wanting to add equipment, but at least consider adding some sort of weight training down the road once you get broken in and your back is better. It doesn't have to be complicated. Hitting the major compound lifts a couple times a week will make a world of difference.

Of course, the exercise routine is only part of the battle. You will have lackluster progress without proper nutrition. Likewise, any diet is virtually useless without proper exercise.

Tell that to these guy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9QeitaeBrY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLCWMVkM ... re=related
This is what I'd like to emulate. Since calisthenics involving only body, at the higher levels involves mostly core strength, it makes you a more well rounded athlete. Plus I just really want to keep it simple. A combination of both weight training and aerobic exercise won't give me the core strength that I'm looking for.

Nutrition wise, I just eat very clean, simple and natural foods. I know there's alot more to it but I'm too lazy to layout my entire nutritional regime. But it's not a super strict, bodybuilder diet.

Post #24 Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:24 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 101
Was liked: 73
KGS: CarlJung
chef wrote:
Tell that to these guy.
This is what I'd like to emulate. Since calisthenics involving only body, at the higher levels involves mostly core strength, it makes you a more well rounded athlete. Plus I just really want to keep it simple. A combination of both weight training and aerobic exercise won't give me the core strength that I'm looking for.

That's some impressive upper body strength and endurance, but nothing for the legs. I guess that's where running comes in. Btw, why do you want core strength? Is it severely lacking and affecting other things? I see it mainly as a vehicle that allows me to do other things better and without risking injury.

Post #25 Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:03 am 
Lives in gote

Helel wrote:
@CarlJung
Just in case the purpose is to attract females of the opposite sex, (or men for that matter), you haven't forgotten the 23 July have you? :twisted:

Hmm.. It seems I must have forgotten about 23 July, what are you referring to? I know one thing but I'd be very surprised if that was what you were thinking about.

Post #26 Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:49 am 
Lives in gote

Helel wrote:
Well, you would have to think 5 years back. But maybe I am only confused, wouldn't be the first time. :)

Why you little...
Now I'm sure I know who you are :) Well played.

Post #27 Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:36 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 12
GD Posts: 258
KGS: bbwlover
CarlJung wrote:
chef wrote:
Tell that to these guy.

That's some impressive upper body strength and endurance, but nothing for the legs. I guess that's where running comes in. Btw, why do you want core strength? Is it severely lacking and affecting other things? I see it mainly as a vehicle that allows me to do other things better and without risking injury.

They have moves that strengthen legs. Sissy squats being the bulk of their leg routine.

I'm focusing on core to be more resilient to injury and for a better overall athletic foundation.

Post #28 Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:59 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 253
Was liked: 105
Are we suggesting that you can only do pull ups, dips, hanging knee raises etc or weights and running

Because I do all of those

Shamefully, I still can only do assisted pullups and dips, but I'm almost there. My friends who are half a foot + shorter than me don't know why I find them so hard.

I suggest creating a progressive regime (with help from someone who (really)knows what they're doing, ideally, though I guess the internet can probably also tell you). That way you can target the muscles you like, and measure your progress. Also, I've found kinda ritualising going to the gym helps me a lot (what do I do Tuesday nights ? It's day 2 at the gym.) I know many people I've talked to have found that they can keep an exercise regime going when they're going to the gym, but when they buy a treadmill and proprietary strength machine for their house virtually never use them.