It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Food stuff
Post #21 Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:42 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 7
nobody else has heard of a protein/fat/carb macro ratio?

Post #22 Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:21 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 253
Was liked: 105
Hey, chef, I have a bunch of quinoa of varying colors. What should I do with it ?

I'm afraid I don't have access to Paleolithic vs. modern diets--selected pathophysiological implications. by SB Eaton and SB Eaton Which seems to be the crux paper for that movement. Can someone throw me a few interesting, sourced %s regarding paleolithic diets regarding non-obese/old demographics?

Personally, I've tried to substitute honey for (table)sugar wherever possible, following some experiments with rats I didn't actually follow closely.

Edit: NZ Monofloral honeys are pretty exciting, but more expensive than you'd possibly believe.

Post #23 Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:33 am 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
daniel_the_smith wrote:
I found all this stuff almost a year ago and changed my diet accordingly. The term for it is the "paleolithic diet" and the idea is to eat the things our species evolved to eat, and not modern innovations associated with society's current health issues. Practically, this means to stop eating 1. wheat, 2. sugar (and high-fructose corn syrup, etc), and 3. modern oils (corn, safflower, cottonseed, peanut, etc). The best how-to list I know of is here. I feel better, sleep better, and my teeth (gums, rather-- I've never had a cavity) are better. Just dropping wheat had a noticeable effect.

I, an to an even greater extent my wife, know a lot about food and diet. And one of the biggest conclusions we have come to over the years is that there is no one diet which fits all. It doesn't matter what diet you take, you can always find some people who do well on it and some who do not. I am familiar with the paleolithic diet and I know I would not do well on it, but clearly you do.

Another example can be taken straight from my own family. We are all vegetarian and I do really well on the diet. In fact, the closer to vegan I eat the healthier I feel. My wife, on the other hand, is vegetarian strictly for ethical reasons (I am only partially so) and she do not do well on such a diet. We both feel she would do better on a meat diet but she cannot bring herself to eat it.

There are all sorts of people in the world and as a result there are all sorts of diets. People who try to convert others to their own favorite, convinced it will be good for them, may actually be doing a disservice. While I think that a vegetarian diet is good for a lot of people and, in my opinion, it is certainly good for the planet, I never try to convert people. I do encourage them to try it though. In the same way, there is nothing wrong with telling people about your diet, but to try to convince them it is right for them is wrong. Let them try it and find out for themselves.

Post #24 Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:23 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 152
Was liked: 330
GD Posts: 1193
KGS: lavalamp
Tygem: imapenguin
IGS: lavalamp
OGS: daniel_the_smith
DrStraw wrote:
Let them try it and find out for themselves.

I absolutely agree with you; I'm sorry if you found my post too preachy, it really was just meant to be informative. Others may do as they wish, of course! But I reserve the right to believe what I believe emphatically. :twisted:

Secretly, I'm glad most people react with horror to my diet; it keeps the prices on cream and butter down.

(Why do I feel like I'm channeling helel?)

Post #25 Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:28 am 
Oza

Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
daniel_the_smith wrote:
DrStraw wrote:
Let them try it and find out for themselves.

I absolutely agree with you; I'm sorry if you found my post too preachy, it really was just meant to be informative. Others may do as they wish, of course! But I reserve the right to believe what I believe emphatically. :twisted:

Secretly, I'm glad most people react with horror to my diet; it keeps the prices on cream and butter down.

(Why do I feel like I'm channeling helel?)

I didn't think of it as preaching. More like untempered enthusiasm. I was just trying to give a balanced point of view.

Post #26 Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:43 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 202
Was liked: 1087
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
GoCat wrote:
Okay... here's a general question, although not sure I expect a real answer. In my family, my daughter is vegetarian, my wife is gluten-intolerant, and I've just been told to cut my fat intake. Meal suggestions welcome!! :)

I'll skip the whole diet discussion and stick to my own, which is called "Eat what you like, but don't overdo it" :)

Anyway, I'm no professional when it comes to food, but I like to cook, so I thought I'd share a recipe I like:

Ingredients:

500g curly kale, chopped (I usually get this from the freezer)
4 tomatoes
500g mashed potatoes
100g cream cheese
100g grated cheese (I usually use Gouda)

Preparation:
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Cook curly kale until done (from the freezer: until it boils), stir cream cheese through it
- Slice tomatoes
- Put creamy curly kale in an oven dish
- Put a layer of sliced tomatoes on top
- Put a layer mashed potatoes on top
- Sprinkle grated cheese over it all

Put in the oven for about 20 minutes.

Vegetarian and gluten-free, and very easy and quick to make, and it's delicious too :)

The cheese is rather fat though, so I guess you'd have to replace it with low fat variants (goat's cheese or mozzarella, perhaps?) or leave it out.

Post #27 Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:14 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 23
Was liked: 86
GD Posts: 104
Does anyone have suggestions for grilling for vegetarians? We will have no picky eaters (aside from the meat thing) or obscure dietary requirements. We will be using a standard charcoal grill. We like spicy food, but the food does not need to be spicy. Thanks!

Post #28 Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:32 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 3
KGS: TominNJ
fwiffo wrote:
Alright, I've got a food question. I want to start cooking chili for myself because you can make a bunch at once and then have meals for weeks. I'm looking for a good, simple recipe.

I'll be glad to share my bachelor (bachelor = quick and easy) chili recipe:

brown 1 lb ground beef (you can use cut up steak, ground turkey or some other meat instead)

add one can diced tomatoes (with jalepenos if you like it spicy, mild green chiles if you don't))

add one can pinto beans (you can use the chili beans if you want - they're pinto beans with some chili flavoring) I prefer pinto beans to kidney

add one packet of chili mix - I use the low sodium ones

secret ingredient - one jar of salsa (medium strength for spicy - mild for those with more sensitive palates)

stir it all together, and let it simmer (add water as needed for consistency) then eat it as is, over rice or over pasta (shells are good for this)

Please be warned that you should never ever serve this to anyone from Texas. If you do, you'll hear a half hour lecture about the sacrilege of putting beans in chili. ;-)

Last edited by TominNJ on Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #29 Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:42 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 546
Was liked: 173
GD Posts: 264
KGS: Chew
Peter Hansmeier wrote:
Does anyone have suggestions for grilling for vegetarians? We will have no picky eaters (aside from the meat thing) or obscure dietary requirements. We will be using a standard charcoal grill. We like spicy food, but the food does not need to be spicy. Thanks!

I'm not at all fancy, cooking-wise, but grilling is fun. Not long ago, I grilled shish kebabs for a group that included a vegetarian, and simply made vegetable-only skewers for her (keeping them separate). Squash, onions, eggplant, mushrooms, that sort of thing. I have also had good luck with zucchini in butter, served with lemon juice, black pepper, and feta cheese on top. When I do shish kebabs, I like to use a sauce made from yogurt, some mint, grated cucumber, and a bit of lemon juice. I could be remembering the ingredients wrong (I don't have the recipe on me), but that's probably close enough to taste right.

This post by Chew Terr was liked by: Peter Hansmeier

Post #30 Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:45 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 3
KGS: TominNJ
Peter Hansmeier wrote:

I liked every Weber recipe I ever tried. They have some vegetable recipes on their website:

http://www.weber.com/grillout/Default.aspx?category=7

This post by TominNJ was liked by: Peter Hansmeier

Post #31 Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:46 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Cuisine is an enormous aspect of human culture. It is a form of art, and a thing of beauty. If you care about food, do not lightly sacrifice it because someone tells you it is unhealthy.

I don't just mean avoid charlatans, which includes almost everyone talking about nutrition. Even where the advice is good, it's just too often not worth it. The medical case against playing go, using the computer, reading or painting is more substantial and clear cut than almost any nutritional advice.

If you have reason to believe your case is special (extreme obesity, hereditary heart disease, current illness, etc), then things are different. But too many people suffer guilt and boredom because they reflexively assume that what is healthy must be done.

There are often win-win trades--a lot of healthy, natural food is delicious. But I will never give up pork belly, butter, bread, milk and cream, or any other indulgences.

Fwiw, on the specific issue of gall bladder removal: my wife had hers taken out 18 months ago, and has never subsequently had trouble processing fats. I've read of other individuals becoming almost completely fat-intolerant. There is huge individual variation here.

Grilled corn can be amazing.

Post #32 Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:01 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 137
Was liked: 155
daniel, you may be interested in this book (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannibals_and_Kings). marvin harris tells his ideas concerning population, food and world history. i did like it.

rant: i consider pseudo stone-age diet with lots of meat produced by modern industrial agriculture and with input from all over the world (soja, liquid fuels ...) decadent. there is no stone-age diet without stone-age population levels,

Post #33 Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:35 pm 
Oza

Peter Hansmeier wrote:

You can grill almost anything which will not fall apart. We don't grill regularly but we do on occasions. Veggie burgers are alway a simple thing; kebabs with a variety of vegetables; eggplants grill well.

Just make sure that they are cooked separately. I have been to places where people were willing to grill separately for my family but did so on top of a grill where they ha cooked meat! We could not eat them.

Post #34 Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:39 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 152
Was liked: 330
GD Posts: 1193
KGS: lavalamp
Tygem: imapenguin
IGS: lavalamp
OGS: daniel_the_smith
DrStraw wrote:
Just make sure that they are cooked separately. I have been to places where people were willing to grill separately for my family but did so on top of a grill where they ha cooked meat! We could not eat them.

Don't take this as a criticism (I'm genuinely curious), but that makes no sense to me unless you're actually allergic to some compound in meat (is that even possible?). I try to make accommodations for vegetarians and it would never have occurred to me that you would want an entirely separate grill. Can you explain what the issue is?

BTW, I second whoever said "corn".

hyperpape wrote:
daniel, you may be interested in this book (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannibals_and_Kings). marvin harris tells his ideas concerning population, food and world history. i did like it.

If I had more free time and a shorter reading list, I would read it :)

Post #35 Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:46 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 528
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
daniel_the_smith wrote:
DrStraw wrote:
Just make sure that they are cooked separately. I have been to places where people were willing to grill separately for my family but did so on top of a grill where they had cooked meat! We could not eat them.

Don't take this as a criticism (I'm genuinely curious), but that makes no sense to me unless you're actually allergic to some compound in meat (is that even possible?). I try to make accommodations for vegetarians and it would never have occurred to me that you would want an entirely separate grill. Can you explain what the issue is?

There's still lots of meat stuff on the grill after it's been used to cook meat. This isn't some kind of crazy kosher thing where you can't stand to touch any surface that has ever touched meat; anything cooked on a grill recently used for meat is going to have some meatiness to some extent.

I'm not vegetarian but when I'm at parties and cookouts with grills there's generally a separate grill set aside for the vegetarians. I guess I live in a pretty liberal area though.

Post #36 Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:50 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
It's shame that ... more people ...are not aware of the protestant reformation.

[admin]
Text criticizing another board member was removed.
-JB
[/admin]

Post #37 Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:26 pm 
Oza

Helel wrote:

Did this go down well with your hosts? As I see it they first offered you food, you rudely declined claiming the food in question unfit for humans. (This is in any case most likely what your hosts interpreted it as.) Now, being good hosts they really try to accommodate you and arrange special preparation for your food, but in vain, since you invent some other circumstance to make it impossible to eat the food.

A guest and a host is bound by an agreement of mutual obligations. If your host gives you live larva, raw eyeballs of seals, and durian for dessert, you smile, eat it, and assure your hosts that you only throw up because some bug you caught (when it tried crawling off your plate most likely).

I read about a Japanese seller who was offered home-prepared blowfish. He did a quick calculation of how long it would take to get to the hospital before tasting. Now that was dedication.

Helel, this is not the first time you have been totally offensive on this forum. I suggest you learn a few basic manners and rules of social interaction before you try to post again.

Post #38 Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:30 pm 
Oza

daniel_the_smith wrote:

I don't eat any form of meat products and I don't want them in contact with my food. It is both a health and an ethical issue. This is the reason I rarely eat food prepared on a grill unless I am very comfortable with its origin.

Post #39 Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:06 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
[admin]
I've already edited one post that criticized a fellow board member, and now two more pop up. Sigh. Can you folks please be nice to each other?
[/admin]

Post #40 Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:46 pm 
Oza

Joaz Banbeck wrote:
[admin]
I've already edited one post that criticized a fellow board member, and now two more pop up. Sigh. Can you folks please be nice to each other?
[/admin]

Only two posts were made after the edited post, both my me. So I can only assume that you are calling my posts critical. The first was what I had hoped was a reasonable response to a very offensive post (which you did not edit) and the second was a sincere answer to a genuine question. Why is either one critical?