All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Gym
Post #21 Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:51 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 101
Was liked: 73
KGS: CarlJung
pasky wrote:
What do you do while exercising? Just relax and enjoy the silence, or do you like to listen to something?

When I lift I put on some aggressive goa trance (i.e. not the trippy spaced out kind). I like goa trance since it's mostly the same music all the time and it has a beat. I.e. I don't risk getting a bad song right when I'm about to do a max lift.

I could never listen to anything that requires attention. It would steal focus from the lifting and I would end up not getting the workout I want.

Post #22 Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:03 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 3
I used to do Kendo and Tennis when I was at uni, but since moving back home the only kind of exercise I do is mainly cutting practice, and even that is only a few times a week. I wish I had a treadmill or exercise bike, could stick some tsumego/tesuji problems on the computer screen and try to solve them while exercising!

Post #23 Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:49 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 30
I usually jog/run about once per week. Depending on my mood and physical condition, I may do anything from 3 km to more than 15 km. All slow pace and untimed.

Post #24 Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:26 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 7
im on a modified starting strength program. lift 3 days a week, squats every workout, alternating bench + deadlift days and shoulder press + pull down. i should toss in some accessory work but i feel pretty good about the program as is for now.

Post #25 Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:12 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 8
GD Posts: 172
I work out roughly 6 days a week, but only 10-15 minutes lifting (mostly free weights) followed by five minutes on the treadmill (mostly running). It's short and sweet, but keeps me feeling energized :)

I used to be one of those people that beat themselves up in the gym, working out until I could barely walk out of the place, but overall I feel much better with this short routine.

Post #26 Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:27 pm 
Lives in gote

wossname wrote:
im on a modified starting strength program. lift 3 days a week, squats every workout, alternating bench + deadlift days and shoulder press + pull down. i should toss in some accessory work but i feel pretty good about the program as is for now.

Interesting program. I'd probably need something like that now. Been out of lifting for almost 2 months. Before that I used a westside template and liked it a lot. But it killed me if I went too heavy too often.

Post #27 Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:44 pm 
Dies in gote

Was liked: 1
GD Posts: 145
KGS: Tyson2011
i am an assistant instructor in tae kwon do, as well as a practitioner of muay thai, krav maga, and Brazilian jiu jitsu. that being said, im in pretty decent shape :)

Post #28 Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:16 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 1
GD Posts: 51
KGS: Shentar
For a long time I really did no exercise aside from occasionally walking a few miles out in the woods. Last semester I took up fencing, but only once a week. The time that people met for it wasn't very convenient, so I stopped. About two months ago I took up taichi. I'm fortunate enough to have access to a place where the martial aspect of it isn't ignored. Bagua and xingyi are also taught there, but I'm waiting until I'm more comfortable with taichi before I take them up.

Post #29 Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:48 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 103
Was liked: 39
Another capoeirista here. (Hi there!) I also do a bit of parkour. I'm not that good at it, but it's the best all-round fitness I've ever encountered, especially the way they do it here in Glasgow. It's nice because I find the two movement systems bleed into each other a little.

I really really want to be able to do a cartwheel with no hands.

I also trained taekwondo for 6 months and had one fight. I've still got all the gear, so if I ever get time again I'll probably take it back up.

Post #30 Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:12 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 2
GD Posts: 21
KGS: Rafa
No gym for me, i only play soccer once in a while.

Post #31 Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:47 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 96
Was liked: 100
Interesting take on the general strength and conditioning levels of the average go player.

To wossname who is beginning the starting strength program: you must eat at bare minimum 4000+ calories a day in order to benefit from this program. Even that is only enough to help ensure some noticeable strength gains; if your goal is size and complete recovery workout to workout, you need much more.

I posted a bit on the old GD thread about training, but I'm following Wendler's 5-3-1 program at the moment. Maxes from within the last year are:

back squat: 270
front squat: 215
press: 140
bench press: 195
power clean: 170
deadlift: 275?

I've deadlifted about 90 pounds more 15 months ago, but my form was way off at that time and I have since strained my lower back. It's been a long road just getting back up to the mid 200's.

After gaining about 15 pounds this winter up to 185 now, this summer I'm planning on weaning myself off of 5-3-1 and getting into a routine of hill sprints, kettlebell work and still rings, focusing my barbell work on the press and power clean (goats).

I'm far from an elite athlete, but I've been around the block enough to know a bit about what works well and what is a waste of time. Anyone can PM me any gym or strength related questions.

Post #32 Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:54 am 
Lives in gote

cdybeijing wrote:
I'm following Wendler's 5-3-1 program at the moment.

What do you think is the biggest difference between a westside template and 5-3-1? I know the difference on paper. But that doesn't really tell much about how it feels and what the results are. I have never tried 5-3-1 so I'm interested how they would compare.

Post #33 Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 6:28 pm 
Dies in gote

Was liked: 7
I chose the program based on the general consensus at another online community I'm a member of - a lot of people there have gone on SS while following weight loss plans and made pretty large strength gains while they do it. For me, I am trying to eat at above maintenance, although I'm not sure I make 4000 calories every day.

Post #34 Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:19 pm 
Lives in gote

CarlJung wrote:
cdybeijing wrote:

What do you think is the biggest difference between a westside template and 5-3-1? I know the difference on paper. But that doesn't really tell much about how it feels and what the results are. I have never tried 5-3-1 so I'm interested how they would compare.

I assume you are talking about WSFSB? I can't actually comment on the difference between the two programs because I have never trained using any Westside program.

If I am right about my assumption though, the obvious difference is that 5-3-1 is clearly an intermediate level program - in fact, it's not an ideal program for me as I am not an intermediate. I do it because it is extremely easy to schedule (you don't have to worry about missing days and getting off track) and there is a lot of flexibility in choosing the supplementary work. That said, the gains are slow though consistent. Also, there is not much like the feeling of impending dread you get when you know you have to try and max out repetitions with a weight that is your 3RM.

Post #35 Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:22 pm 
Lives in gote

wossname wrote:
I chose the program based on the general consensus at another online community I'm a member of - a lot of people there have gone on SS while following weight loss plans and made pretty large strength gains while they do it. For me, I am trying to eat at above maintenance, although I'm not sure I make 4000 calories every day.

Would that community be Crossfit?

Starting Strength and weight loss are not complementary propositions, but it may work for some. It would probably only work if you considered yourself to be overweight (i.e. not just simply someone looking to cut a few stubborn pounds.)

Post #36 Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:26 pm 
Lives in gote

cdybeijing wrote:
CarlJung wrote:
cdybeijing wrote:

I assume you are talking about WSFSB? I can't actually comment on the difference between the two programs because I have never trained using any Westside program.

If I am right about my assumption though, the obvious difference is that 5-3-1 is clearly an intermediate level program - in fact, it's not an ideal program for me as I am not an intermediate. I do it because it is extremely easy to schedule (you don't have to worry about missing days and getting off track) and there is a lot of flexibility in choosing the supplementary work. That said, the gains are slow though consistent. Also, there is not much like the feeling of impending dread you get when you know you have to try and max out repetitions with a weight that is your 3RM.

Actually I mean the original westside template as written by Louie Simmons. It has both max effort and dynamic effort for upper AND lower body, WSFSB has ditched one lower body workout. That said, I have found that there is no way I'm recovering fast enough to pull off the full westside routine for any length of time so I have stripped it to it's bare essentials to cope. It's designed for elite powerlifters who use both powerlifting gear and steroids and if you don't use neither, you have to make some adjustments.

Post #37 Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:14 am 
Lives in gote

Helel wrote:
CarlJung wrote:
It's designed for elite powerlifters who use both powerlifting gear and steroids and if you don't use neither, you have to make some adjustments.

Hmmm.... :-?
*suspects Carl of looking more like a Belgian Blue for each day*

Ah, those double negations are difficult. Is what I wrote there a valid sentence in English (albeit not what I meant) or is it just gibberish?

Post #38 Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:18 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 1562
Was liked: 140
GD Posts: 892
I just do some situps and pushups every morning.

Post #39 Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:27 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 80
Was liked: 71
GD Posts: 175
I prefer motor sports, i.e. driving between work and home everyday.

I used to go to gym and jog regularly until 2 years ago, when all of a sudden I decided to become lazy. These days I am doing almost nothing, apart from telling my friends that I have to start with gym again.

Post #40 Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 3:08 am 
Dies with sente

Was liked: 37
KGS: tealeaf
IGS: tealeaf
Wbaduk: tealeaf
DGS: joss
OGS: tealeaf
Universal go server handle: tealeaf
Stable wrote:
Another capoeirista here. (Hi there!) I also do a bit of parkour. I'm not that good at it, but it's the best all-round fitness I've ever encountered, especially the way they do it here in Glasgow. It's nice because I find the two movement systems bleed into each other a little.

I really really want to be able to do a cartwheel with no hands.

I'll come and show you how if I ever get up to Glasgow. :)

(I find that going to a park with capoeira friends for a picnic, including a glass of wine, is a marvellous way to get new moves that you'd not dared to try before. It's how I first managed a backflip. :D)