All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Do you enjoy your job?
Post #1 Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:19 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Do you like your job? If so, what are some things that you do to enjoy it? Why do you like it? If not, why don't you like it?

Post subject: Re: Do you enjoy your job?
Post #2 Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:22 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
Kirby wrote:
Do you like your job? If so, what are some things that you do to enjoy it? Why do you like it? If not, why don't you like it?

Which job? The one during the academic year which pays the bills or the one during the summer which provides our food and fuel for the year? Of the two I enjoy the summer job more.

Post #3 Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:35 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 257
Was liked: 287
KGS: wms
Yes, I do like my day job. Sometimes it's more fun than others, but overall it's not a bad way to make a pretty decent living. If I were independently wealthy, would I keep working here? Probably not, but as jobs go it's still about the best I've ever had.

What I like: Interesting things to do. Needs thought. Coworkers who I enjoy working with.
What I don't like: Sometimes it's frustrating or boring.

Post #4 Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:40 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
wms wrote:
What I don't like: Sometimes it's frustrating or boring.

What do you do when it's boring? Do you just try to focus on the things that you like?

Post #5 Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:51 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
wms wrote:
Yes, I do like my day job. Sometimes it's more fun than others, but overall it's not a bad way to make a pretty decent living. If I were independently wealthy, would I keep working here? Probably not, but as jobs go it's still about the best I've ever had.

Same here. Mine is brick&mortar used and rare books, BTW.

What I like: Interesting customers, first pick of all the inventory, deductible expenses: computers, supplies, and especially travel.

What I hate: Government bureaucrats, and Amazon penny sellers.

Post #6 Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:09 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 92
Was liked: 80
KGS: LocoRon
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
What I hate: [...] Amazon penny sellers.

Sorry to be off-topic, but I have to say, I hate those guys too. Great prices, until you see the S&H. And even if you order several things from the same company, you still get stuck with that ridiculous S&H per item. What a scam! :(

Post #7 Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:52 pm 
Oza

Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
LocoRon wrote:
Sorry to be off-topic, but I have to say, I hate those guys too. Great prices, until you see the S&H. And even if you order several things from the same company, you still get stuck with that ridiculous S&H per item. What a scam! :(

I have never had any complaint about Amazon shipping. $3.95 is common and shipping by media mail is around $2.50 (or more) depending on weight. A padded envelope is an extra cost. I got a book in the mail yesterday from Amazon marketplace and the postage cost was $3.25. When I have sold books my standard cost is $3 an sometimes I have been out of pocket on it.

Post #8 Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:01 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Ooh, I win this thread. I have a Masters in Philosophy, and currently work in a shipping and receiving department (Yes, have your laughs..).

Good: work is often leisurely; I sometimes get to do interesting mechanical work; for a while, I was doing a lot of driving and listening to podcasts; I still find driving a forklift to be really amusing;

Bad: uhhhh, it's shipping and receiving...; there was that month where we were repeatedly digging four foot holes to repair broken pipe in 95-100 degree weather; we spent a week cleaning an incredibly nasty rubber/grease mixture off of tools; the boredom, it is growing; I can unpredictably get called in on the weekends or have to stay late at night.

Weird: contemplating learning perl to help with record keeping.

This post by hyperpape was liked by: Joaz Banbeck

Post #9 Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:20 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 92
Was liked: 80
KGS: LocoRon
DrStraw wrote:
LocoRon wrote:

I have never had any complaint about Amazon shipping. $3.95 is common and shipping by media mail is around $2.50 (or more) depending on weight. A padded envelope is an extra cost. I got a book in the mail yesterday from Amazon marketplace and the postage cost was $3.25. When I have sold books my standard cost is $3 an sometimes I have been out of pocket on it.

Normally, I have no complaint with Amazon S&H. However, there are bad instances, which I was specifically thinking of; usually by companies or people that have their products listed for extremely low prices ($0.01, usually, but not always), but then charge exorbitant amounts for S&H. For example, I was recently looking to buy some pen refills, and found a good price so I was going to buy a few packs, all from the same company. Each item has a shipping weight listed as 0.8 ounces, and the packaging for pen refills isn't that large, so it should be relatively inexpensive to ship, however S&H was listed as being $20+ for five packs of two refills (because the charge from each individual item was stacked). Perhaps the company would've seen this and refunded my money, however, I didn't want to risk it (nor did I have the money), and I have also had other instances where I know for a fact that I was charged more for S&H than what it cost the company (but still felt like I came out ahead, due to lower price of the product).

I will admit, I've not shipped anything for a long time, so perhaps it is generally more expensive than I think, and perhaps there are behind-the-scene costs I'm not thinking of (buying the shipping package?).

All in all, it's not a big deal, just an aside I felt like posting. :)

Post #10 Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:11 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 72
GD Posts: 1165
KGS: Dogen
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
wms wrote:

Same here. Mine is brick&mortar used and rare books, BTW.

What I like: Interesting customers, first pick of all the inventory, deductible expenses: computers, supplies, and especially travel.

What I hate: Government bureaucrats, and Amazon penny sellers.

Oh really? Where are you located? Do you not sell online? (Curious because I've been spending a lot of money at Abebooks lately...)

Post #11 Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:12 am 
Lives in sente

I'm very happy in my job. I work freelance, out of my home in a gorgeous area of the French Alps. I work my own hours, and my boss lets me play go during the day if I don't have too much work. :-)

Post #12 Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:14 am 
Oza

kirkmc wrote:
I'm very happy in my job. I work freelance, out of my home in a gorgeous area of the French Alps. I work my own hours, and my boss lets me play go during the day if I don't have too much work. :-)

Very nice wife you have there.

This post by DrStraw was liked by 2 people: CarlJung, Suji

Post #13 Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:49 am 
Lives in sente

DrStraw wrote:
kirkmc wrote:

Very nice wife you have there.

Har, har... :-)

Post #14 Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:00 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 3
KGS: TominNJ
Kirby wrote:

Almost always. I teach motorcycle safety classes and it's satisfying in the extreme to watch the progress the students make from never riding a motorcycle before on Saturday morning to being able to maneuver the motorcycle quite well on Sunday afternoon.

Then there's the fact that I'm giving people the knowledge and skills to avoid crashes. One student came to class on Sunday morning, shook my hand and told me that the stuff I taught on Saturday afternoon helped him avoid a crash on the way home that day.

The only time I don't enjoy it is when it's unbearably hot.

Post #15 Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:35 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 546
Was liked: 173
GD Posts: 264
KGS: Chew
I don't particularly, and don't ever really expect to. I don't really have a dream job that I've always wanted, so I have two options, as I see it. I could do something that I like doing as a hobby, and burn myself out on the hobby forever, or I could do something that's easy and low-stress so I can focus on enjoying my free time. I do the latter. I'd love some amazing, rewarding, fun-to-work at job, but I just have no idea what I could do that would be like that.

Post #16 Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:38 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 139
Was liked: 111
GD Posts: 209
KGS: Marcus316
I work in technology. Some people are generally very happy working in technology ... I'm not one of them.

I'm not saying my job is hell. Quite the contrary, there's a lot of interesting aspects to my job. However, there are just too many things that I don't enjoy about my job that makes it highly stressful and takes away from the enjoyment.

MY role is a support/r&d role, so I deal primarily with customer issues that have found their way to the 3rd level of support. I work closely with the design team(s) to find solutions, whether that ends up as a coded solution or simply a configuration modification.

What I enjoy about my job: digging into puzzling issues, developing solutions

What I don't enjoy about my job: sitting in front of a computer (I'd like to be doing something more active), "flex" hours (can be useful, but more often means 5 to 10 hours a week unpaid (I'm salaried) that I work to keep up with the workload), insane workload (no intent to increase headcount, so we're running at full tilt a lot of the time), a lot of the same issues over and over again (boring and repetitive)

The reason I work in technology, when I think it's a horrible environment to work in: I'm good at it. It pays my bills.

Ultimately, I don't care about my job, so long as I can keep it. I will always do the best job I can, but I have no passion for it. I'm more focused on my family life, and much more passionate about providing for that than I am about the particulars of my job.

Post #17 Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:49 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 80
Was liked: 71
GD Posts: 175
I don't enjoy working because I am lazy. To be honest, I don't hate my job but I cannot really say I like it either. But it's still fine because I have always believed that job should not necessarily be something enjoyable. I just do it for living.

Post #18 Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:22 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 528
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
I program video games, and overall I like my job a lot.

Things I like:
  • Creating products that make people happy
  • Reaching millions of people
  • Working on really interesting programming problems
  • Working on game design
  • Working with really great people

The main thing I don't like is that things occasionally get really intense and stressful for weeks at a time. I'm not a Type A person at all.

Post #19 Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:24 am 
Lives in sente

entropi wrote:
I don't enjoy working because I am lazy. To be honest, I don't hate my job but I cannot really say I like it either. But it's still fine because I have always believed that job should not necessarily be something enjoyable. I just do it for living.

That's too bad. Why should't a job be enjoyable? For the past 25 years - since I moved to France - I've had a number of jobs, changing every 5-10 years, and I've never been in a situation when I would wake up in the morning and not want to go to work.

Post #20 Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:26 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 505
KGS: magicwand
Tygem: magicwand
Wbaduk: rlatkfkd
DGS: magicwand
OGS: magicwand
at my age i dont complain about what i do.
i dont mind doing whatever they task me to do long as they pay me.
as an officer of the army...i dont think i ever had easier job than this.

Words by neil peart, music by geddy lee and alex lifeson