It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shin Jinseo's Study Plan
Post #101 Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:58 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Bill Spight wrote:
Kirby wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:
A mathematical formula for an unknown is an expression in terms of what is given which when evaluated yields the value of the unknown.

I believe that AloneAgainstAll's formula does this. If the 17th prime is not known, you can evaluate the expression on the right hand side, and obtain it.

The trouble being that the unknown is in the expression.

Kirby wrote:
In what way?

In the sum up to 2ⁿ.

Quote:
Knowing nothing about primes, you can calculate one from the expression, no?

But then why not allow the Sieve of Eratosthenes? See above.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post subject: Re: What makes a good teacher? What is a formula?
Post #102 Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:08 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 21
If she assumed such a restriction she should express it beforehand, and thats true for any restrictions.

And such a restriction is nonsense, if we assume such a restriction we cant solve problem: "using Erastotens algorithm find all primes below 100" because only number 100 is given! And if you somehow get number 1, 2 and others, you can get same way numbers 101, 102 and all others natural numbers.

As i said - we must assume that whole set of natural numbers is given, cuz its needed to define prime numbers.
Sieve of Erastotenes is not a formula nor function, its algorithm. Very big difference.

Transforming algorithm to function is sometimes very hard.

Last edited by AloneAgainstAll on Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #103 Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:08 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Bill Spight wrote:

Kirby wrote:
In what way?

In the sum up to 2ⁿ.

A sum is a sum. We know how to sum.

Quote:
Quote:

If you can express it with math symbols like that, why not allow it? I don't see a problem. It's a formula.

Post #104 Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:13 pm 
Honinbo

I'll try to summarize my stance:

1. "Formula" often doesn't have a rigorous definition
2. Folks often use "formula" casually, and can be just some way of expressing some rule or fact mathematically
3. Other things like "polynomial" have much stricter definitions. There are constraints in there that you don't always have when using the word "formula"
4. The teacher was probably thinking of a particular constrained definition of "formula" when it was being used
5. It would have been less ambiguous to use a less ambiguous term, which expressed the constraints that teacher was trying to convey

If you just use "formula", you have folks like me and AloneAgainstAll, which find the statement to be false. If you're going to make a sweeping statement like that, you should use a precise definition.

This is not to say that the teacher is a bad teacher. I like Knotwilg's point that, if nothing else, this has caused us all to think about the problem on our own!

Post #105 Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:24 pm 
Lives with ko

Kirby he means that we can sum only up to given number by his assumption that only first n-th prime numbers ar given, and only those we can use in our formula. Its sad that if we assume that we cant give formula for volume of ball (and other standard formulas), even if we have radius, but thats his definition.

For me, formula is equal to function. If we assume Jlt definition we have problems i showed. If we assume Bill's definition we have even more problems.

But whatever we beat from this "formula" discuss its completely offtopic - i expressed explicitly what formula meant for teacher in the problem. Maybe we should stop beating this dead from the beginning horse?

Post #106 Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:28 pm 
Honinbo

Personally, I think the definition of "function" is more strict than the definition of "formula".

But anyway, yeah... The horse is dead. RIP

Post #107 Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:33 pm 
Honinbo

Kirby wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:

Kirby wrote:
In what way?

In the sum up to 2ⁿ.

A sum is a sum. We know how to sum.

Quote:
Quote:

If you can express it with math symbols like that, why not allow it? I don't see a problem. It's a formula.

The problem arises when the unknown, which you are trying to find, is part of the formula. Yes. there is such a thing as recursion, but then you can use subscripts.

As for the Sieve of Eratosthenes, presumably the teacher had shown the elementary students how to tell whether a natural number is a prime or not, which in turn implies the Sieve of Eratosthenes, even if she did not mention it. Whatever formula she had in mind, if it included the Sieve, it could not have been part of the formula.

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #108 Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:34 pm 
Honinbo

Kirby wrote:
Personally, I think the definition of "function" is more strict than the definition of "formula".

But anyway, yeah... The horse is dead. RIP

Indeed. Formula is an informal term.

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #109 Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:37 pm 
Honinbo

Bill Spight wrote:
The problem arises when the unknown, which you are trying to find, is part of the formula. Yes. there is such a thing as recursion, but then you can use subscripts.

Indeed, there are recursive formulas :-)

But this is not recursive. It's iterative. You can often convert recursive formulas to iterative ones, which is what is done here.

Quote:

If so, it cannot be used to make strong mathematical claims.

Post #110 Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:40 pm 
Lives with ko

Ah so all that fuss was beacuse you assumed that formula is informal term?? Why the hell you didnt said it when you said teacher was correct?

You indeed cant give formula for literally ANTYHING if term formula is not formally well defined!

Isnt that called strawman in english?

Post #111 Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:49 pm 
Honinbo

AloneAgainstAll wrote:
If she assumed such a restriction she should express it beforehand, and thats true for any restrictions.

Consider your audience. Why complicate matters for a group of elementary students? She used formula in an informal, non-precise way, as it is used in ordinary language.

There is a similar problem, BTW, in teaching go to adults. For instance, some people are told that you need two eyes for life. Later, these people see a seki and are confused. And the question of what is an eye is a mess. See discussions on Sensei's Library. It is probably not a good idea to tell raw beginners about Two Headed Dragons, which they may never see in real life. OTOH, why lie to them and say that a false eye cannot help you make life? My solution has been to define a false eye, not by its local shape, but by the fact that eventually the opponent can put at least one stone that forms it into atari. What to tell beginners, or elementary school students, is not easy to say.

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #112 Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:51 pm 
Honinbo

AloneAgainstAll wrote:
Kirby he means that we can sum only up to given number by his assumption that only first n-th prime numbers ar given, and only those we can use in our formula. Its sad that if we assume that we cant give formula for volume of ball (and other standard formulas), even if we have radius, but thats his definition.

It is not my definition, thank you very much. My definition has nothing to do with balls. I have reasons for thinking that the teacher had a restricted sense of formula in mind.

Visualize whirled peas.

Last edited by Bill Spight on Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #113 Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:54 pm 
Honinbo

Kirby wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:

Indeed, there are recursive formulas :-)

But this is not recursive. It's iterative. You can often convert recursive formulas to iterative ones, which is what is done here.

Quote:

If so, it cannot be used to make strong mathematical claims.

You think that the teacher was making a strong mathematical claim to a bunch of elementary school students? I think she was talking to them using normal speech.

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #114 Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:55 pm 
Honinbo

Bill Spight wrote:
AloneAgainstAll wrote:

Consider your audience. Why complicate matters for a group of elementary students? She used formula in an informal, non-precise way, as it is used in ordinary language.

There is a similar problem, BTW, in teaching go to adults. For instance, some people are told that you need two eyes for life. Later, these people see a seki and are confused. And the question of what is an eye is a mess. See discussions on Sensei's Library. It is probably not a good idea to tell raw beginners about Two Headed Dragons, which they may never see in real life. OTOH, why lie to them and say that a false eye cannot help you make life? My solution has been to define a false eye, not by its local shape, but by the fact that eventually the opponent can put at least one stone that forms it into atari. What to tell beginners, or elementary school students, is not easy to say.

Bill Spight wrote:
AloneAgainstAll wrote:

But she (is it a she?) used that imprecise term to say to make a bold statement about non-existence.

Sometimes when people are referring to numbers, they are talking strictly about the natural numbers. Using casual, ordinary language, someone might claim that there aren't numbers less than zero. Obviously, folks who are considering negative numbers might take issue with that.

Then you can get into a 100+ post argument about how a number is defined. When really, there are different ways of specifying numbers (natural numbers, reals, extended reals, etc.).

It'd be much safer for the teacher to say that there are no *natural numbers* less than zero. Because that's the class of things she's talking about.

Quote:
For instance, some people are told that you need two eyes for life.

So the teacher had better not say that!

Post #115 Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:58 pm 
Honinbo

Bill Spight wrote:
You think that the teacher was making a strong mathematical claim to a bunch of elementary school students? I think she was talking to them using normal speech.

Normal speech that was wrong.

Anyway, I already paid my respects to the dead horses. I've expressed my thoughts on this enough. I'm out.

Post #116 Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:01 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
I believe the formula in question is not a closed form formula: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed-form_expression.

Summation notation is problematic, because given an initial set of values given by elementary (and some non-elementary functions), the number of such function values you must compute grows arbitrarily large as n goes to infinity.

The distinction between a closed-form-expression and others is quite important. I'm not sure how formula is used, but I think the worst you could accuse your teacher of doing is being slightly less precise.

Post #117 Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:02 pm 
Honinbo

Kirby wrote:
It'd be much safer for the teacher to say that there are no *natural numbers* less than zero. Because that's the class of things she's talking about.

Consider her audience. Math was not taught as well when I was in grade school as it is now, but nearly all of our ten years olds understood number to mean a non-negative integer. Why confuse them with the term, natural number? Maybe counting number would have been OK, though. But then the teacher would open the door to questions about non-counting numbers before she was ready to teach about them.

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #118 Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:05 pm 
Lives with ko

Bill Spight wrote:
AloneAgainstAll wrote:

It is not my definition, thank you very much. My definition has nothing to do with balls. I have reasons for thinking that the teacher had a restricted sense of formula in mind.

I didnt wrote that you definition has sth to do with balls, i said that using this definition we cant give formula for ball volume. Btw, who "invented" this definition of formula?

But really whatever, as i said, if formula is not defined then we cant give formula for anything. Case closed.

Post #119 Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:08 pm 
Honinbo

AloneAgainstAll wrote:
I didnt wrote that you definition has sth to do with balls, i said that using this definition we cant give formula for ball volume.

Well, then, your complaint was irrelevant.

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #120 Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:10 pm 
Lives with ko

What complain? I didnt made any complain.

Irrevelant is discussion about what definition of formula assumed teacher.

Last edited by AloneAgainstAll on Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next