It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: the temple of free hanafuda?
Post #1 Posted: Wed May 11, 2022 2:47 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1023
Was liked: 30
KGS: Elom, Windnwater
OGS: Elom, Elom0
Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
I was not sure about just mentioning a random company name here but I'm really at a loss with this and probably missing something.

If an alternative meaning to 任天堂 is the temple of free hanafuda, . . .

. . . I do not see where 'hanafuda' is, and every explanation does a great job of leaving it out. Or, they see it as important to explain to you the relatively obvious 任 and 堂 but not where hanafuda is coming from. I mean it literally looks like they left hanafuda to 天.

Post subject: Re: the temple of free hanafuda?
Post #2 Posted: Wed May 11, 2022 3:06 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
Nintendo
https://www.facebook.com/Nintendo.hk

This post by tchan001 was liked by: Akura

Post #3 Posted: Wed May 11, 2022 4:59 am 
Lives in sente

Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
They say that the meaning of nintendo the founder intended is to put fate in heaven's hands. And that makes sense when you're playing 100-peom karuta

But I don't see what people mean when they say he might have meant the temple of free hanafuda according only to those three kanji characters!

Last edited by Elom0 on Wed May 11, 2022 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #4 Posted: Wed May 11, 2022 5:08 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
Quote:
I was not sure about just mentioning a random company name here but I'm really at a loss with this and probably missing something.

If an alternative meaning to 任天堂 is the temple of free hanafuda, . . .

. . . I do not see where 'hanafuda' is, and every explanation does a great job of leaving it out. Or, they see it as important to explain to you the relatively obvious 任 and 堂 but not where hanafuda is coming from. I mean it literally looks like they left hanafuda to 天.

No-one actually knows the meaning of Nintendo, but there are likely several layers of puns. Every card company had logos that were printed on each pack. and Nintendo used the image of a Tengu, a long nosed goblin. A nose in Japanese is hana, a homonym for hana=flower. Flower cards (hanafuda), derived from older hana-awase cards, were used as substitutes for kabu cards, to avoid excise duty or gambling restrictions, and hana became a code word for gambling (and rubbing the nose became a way of asking where one could play). So here ten = hana. Nin is probably from a yakuza word for chivalry - they see themselves as knights (the ninkyo dantai) who don't exactly rescue fair maidens in distress but who, for a fee, will gladly duff up a stroppy neighbour or recalcitrant borrower if you go down to the local yakuza shop and hire their services. But when such custom is slow, of course the yakuza will do other things such as gambling and pimping. To cover their tracks they make great use of code words, such as words pronounced (syllabically) backwards, in much the same way an East End gangster in London might offer to do a job for you for "a monkey for cash". (This comes to mind because the star of Minder died this week.)

'Do' does not mean temple here. It's just a grandiose word for a shop. A n emporium.

The games the yakuza played with hanafuda were nothing like the children's games of koi koi and so on. They were more like blackjack. The suits just represented numbers (pine - 1 , plum -= 2 and so on), and a hand that scored 0 (modulo 10) was the worst possible (and 9 the best), and was the result of three cards 8 + 9 + 3 (i.e. ya + ku + sa=za). So the legend goes.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by 6 people: Akura, Elom0, ez4u, gowan, Harleqin, thirdfogie

Post #5 Posted: Fri May 13, 2022 8:27 am 
Lives in sente

Thank you very much, this is just what I was looking for!