This post by Trev0rK was liked by: Elom0

Post subject: Re: Go vs Chess vs Shogi
Post #2 Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:26 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1023
Was liked: 30
KGS: Elom, Windnwater
OGS: Elom, Elom0
Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
I actually like the fact that capturing is not so important in go compared to Shogi, Chess, Xjianggqi. So what is a negative to him is a benefit to me. Winning because you. Then again, my natural play style ends up with me having to capture my opponents dragon, maybe I should try playing more territorially.

In terms of complexity, I think the point is that go. Even a board size from a human perspective that is as complex as 9x9 shogi will be more complex for traditional computer algorithms since in go human-like intuitive capacity is more relied upon to simplify an mathematically complicated position. Only non-traditional Neural Nets are what allows computers to compete with humans. So perhaps instead of saying go is more 'complex', I'd rather say go is more 'human'.

Reading also the thoughts on stratego I get the sense that sudden dramatic elements like capture and surprise naturally appeal to this person or appeal to them as what a board game should be like, more than things like quietly collecting territory. I prefer in go the that there is more of a balance between creation and destruction.