It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to get better at the game of go?
Post #1 Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:02 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 621
Was liked: 310
Quote:
Here are some tips for getting better at the game of go:

Practice regularly. The more you play, the more you will improve your skills and understanding of the game. Try to play at least a few games each week to help build your experience and proficiency.

Study game records and professional games. Go players often study the games of top players to learn new strategies and techniques. By analyzing how professional players approach different situations, you can improve your own game.

Join a go club or find a go teacher. Go clubs and teachers can provide guidance, support, and advice to help you improve your skills. They can also introduce you to other players who can provide valuable insight and feedback.

Play against stronger opponents. By challenging yourself to play against players who are better than you, you can learn from their strategies and techniques, and push yourself to improve.

Set goals for yourself. Identify specific areas of your game that you want to improve, and work towards achieving those goals. This can help you stay focused and motivated, and can help you measure your progress.

Overall, the key to getting better at go is to consistently challenge yourself and strive to improve. By practicing regularly, studying professional games, and seeking guidance from others, you can gradually improve your skills and become a better go player.

Machine advice ;-)

This post by Gomoto was liked by: Elom0

Post subject: Re: How to get better at the game of go?
Post #2 Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:18 pm 
Gosei

How important is attention in the game of go?

Quote:
Attention is very important in the game of go. Go is a strategic board game that requires players to carefully consider their moves and anticipate the actions of their opponent. This requires a high level of concentration and attention to detail, as players must constantly assess the current state of the game and make decisions based on their observations.

In go, players must pay attention to a wide range of factors, including the position of the stones on the board, the territory controlled by each player, and the potential moves and strategies of their opponent. They must also consider the long-term consequences of their actions and anticipate how the game may evolve over time.

As a result, the ability to focus and maintain a high level of attention is critical for success in the game of go. Players who are able to maintain their concentration and focus on the game are more likely to make accurate and effective decisions, and to emerge victorious in their matches.

I discovered recently attention as a very important factor. The computer agrees. ;-)

Watch out!

It is quite possible to know a lot about the game of go, local shapes and strategy. But in the end if you dont watch out on the board, you will ruin a lot of games :-)

Last edited by Gomoto on Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post #3 Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:21 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 278
KGS: mathmo 4d
IGS: mathmo 4d
Set small challenges for yourself.
e.g.
When going through pro (or AI) games, guess the next move. If wrong, try to explain why. Listen to pro commentary.

I don't think I bothered with judgement and counting until I was around 3-4d.

tsumego: just memorising lots of answers can help, even if you don't fully understand what's going on.

In maths, "looking at the answer" was discouraged due to there being finitely many hard problems with ready answers. Instead we were encouraged to think for an hour before looking at the answer. However, I think that Go problems can be manufactured more easily than maths problems, so this sort of "cheating" is more acceptable and beneficial.

Post #4 Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:34 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1023
Was liked: 30
KGS: Elom, Windnwater
OGS: Elom, Elom0
Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
I guess we have to find out what the computer thinks of looking at the answer!

Post #5 Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:20 pm 
Gosei

Quote:
There are many reasons why it can be beneficial to look at the solution to a problem. For example, looking at the solution can help you understand how to solve similar problems in the future, or it can help you identify any mistakes you made in your own solution. In addition, looking at the solution can also help you learn new problem-solving strategies or techniques. Ultimately, the decision to look at the solution to a problem is up to you, but it can be a valuable learning experience if you approach it with an open mind and a willingness to learn.

This is what the computer thinks. ChatGPT that is.

Last edited by Gomoto on Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #6 Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:34 pm 
Lives in sente

Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
I love how the voice assistant sounds like it's trying to be the ultimate diplomat and sound super reasonable :D maybe because it is

This post by Elom0 was liked by: Gomoto

Post #7 Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:44 pm 
Gosei

Quote:
There are several reasons why it may not be beneficial to look at the solution to a problem. For example, looking at the solution can take away the opportunity for you to learn and develop your own problem-solving skills. In addition, looking at the solution can make it more difficult for you to retain the information and apply it to similar problems in the future. Finally, looking at the solution can make it easier for you to become reliant on others for solutions, which can limit your ability to think independently and creatively. Of course, there may be times when it is appropriate or necessary to look at the solution to a problem, such as when you are stuck and unable to progress on your own. However, in general, it is often better to try to solve problems on your own before looking at the solution.

Post #8 Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:48 pm 
Gosei

Quote:
Playing for influence in the game of Go can be beneficial because it allows you to control more of the board and to shape the game in your favor. By building up your influence, you can create strong positions on the board and restrict your opponent's ability to move freely. In addition, playing for influence can also be a strategic way to set up potential endgame moves, such as capturing territory or making captures. Ultimately, the decision about whether or not to play for influence in the game of Go will depend on the specific situation and the player's goals and objectives. It may be beneficial to consult with more experienced players or to refer to resources on the subject to learn more about different strategies and techniques for playing the game.

I think I prefer a simple +0.7 points as an answer by my machines :-)

Post #9 Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:18 pm 
Gosei

Quote:
The game of Go is quite fun
You place your stones one by one
You try to surround
And capture your ground
But watch out, your opponent might outrun.

Post #10 Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:12 am 
Lives in sente

Gomoto wrote:
Quote:
Playing for influence in the game of Go can be beneficial because it allows you to control more of the board and to shape the game in your favor. By building up your influence, you can create strong positions on the board and restrict your opponent's ability to move freely. In addition, playing for influence can also be a strategic way to set up potential endgame moves, such as capturing territory or making captures. Ultimately, the decision about whether or not to play for influence in the game of Go will depend on the specific situation and the player's goals and objectives. It may be beneficial to consult with more experienced players or to refer to resources on the subject to learn more about different strategies and techniques for playing the game.

I think I prefer a simple +0.7 points as an answer by my machines :-)

Don't jinx it!?!? Do you WANT Deepmind to come out with AlphaKibitzGo, so not only would it play Go better than all of us, but it would be able to explain why and make fun of us meat-bags. I mean it's literally what we've been asking for but now I don't know if I won't be creeped out, haha :) :D :lol:.

I bet it won't be able to tell us the difference between Atsusa and Atsusi types of 'thickness'. Although when I'm playing Go the most relevant reference to thickness is my skull, haha

I bet it can't explain haengma correctly. Yes now I sound like one of those 'computers will never' people.

Imagine two bots playing a game, and then reviewing the game together and having an argument! It would be a pretty high-level argument.

Post #11 Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:11 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
Quote:
There are many reasons why it can be beneficial to look at the solution to a problem. For example, looking at the solution can help you understand how to solve similar problems in the future, or it can help you identify any mistakes you made in your own solution. In addition, looking at the solution can also help you learn new problem-solving strategies or techniques. Ultimately, the decision to look at the solution to a problem is up to you, but it can be a valuable learning experience if you approach it with an open mind and a willingness to learn.

Quote:
I bet it won't be able to tell us the difference between Atsusa and Atsusi types of 'thickness'. Although when I'm playing Go the most relevant reference to thickness is my skull, haha

I bet it can't explain haengma correctly. Yes now I sound like one of those 'computers will never' people.

Whoever wrote the first quote seems (at long, long last) to be using the term influence properly and to understand that it is not thickness.

As to the second quote, I've never found any human able to explain haengma satisfactorily. It's one of those things like sex appeal. You know it when you see it - but different people see different things and no-one can put it into words (or bottles, but there are plenty of gullible people willing to buy such bottles).

Post #12 Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:16 am 
Gosei

All my Quotes in this thread were generated by ChatGPT.

And indeed it can't explain the difference between Atsusa and Atsusi types of 'thickness'. :-)

Post #13 Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:25 am 
Gosei

Quote:
Haengma is a term used in the game of go to refer to the movement of stones on the board. It is often translated as "walking" or "running," and it describes the way that stones can be moved around the board to make territory, attack the opponent's stones, or defend one's own stones. Haengma is an important concept in go strategy, as the movement of stones can have a big impact on the shape and direction of the game. Different haengma patterns and techniques can be used to achieve different goals, and skilled players will often use haengma to outmaneuver their opponents and gain an advantage.

I like the one about influence more ;-)

Post #14 Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:01 am 
Lives in sente

Gomoto wrote:
Quote:
Haengma is a term used in the game of go to refer to the movement of stones on the board. It is often translated as "walking" or "running," and it describes the way that stones can be moved around the board to make territory, attack the opponent's stones, or defend one's own stones. Haengma is an important concept in go strategy, as the movement of stones can have a big impact on the shape and direction of the game. Different haengma patterns and techniques can be used to achieve different goals, and skilled players will often use haengma to outmaneuver their opponents and gain an advantage.

I like the one about influence more ;-)

Okay now explaining haengma it just sounds like a politician avoiding answering the question :lol:

Post #15 Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:54 am 
Gosei

Yes, ChatPGT sounds a lot like generic speech.

Post #16 Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:57 am 
Lives in sente

How does it fail in differentiating Atsusa and Atsusi?

Post #17 Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:26 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 491
jlt wrote:
in the game of go, what is the difference between atsumi and atsusa?

ChatGPT wrote:
I'm sorry, but I am not familiar with the terms "atsumi" and "atsusa" in the context of the game of Go. In Go, players take turns placing black and white stones on a grid-shaped board, with the aim of surrounding and capturing their opponent's pieces and territory. I am not aware of any special terms or concepts in the game that use the words "atsumi" or "atsusa." It is possible that these terms may be specific to a certain variant or style of Go, or may have been coined by a particular player or school of thought, but without more information, I cannot provide any further information.

Post #18 Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:24 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 9
Since we really seem to be talking about ChatGPT generating go related text, how about this?

Sure, here is a possible Shakespearean style sonnet in iambic pentameter about a grandfather teaching his children and grandchildren to play the ancient game of go:

My granddad, master of the ancient game,
Sits with his kin and teaches them to play
The art of go, with stones of different name
And lines that mark the board in neat array.

He shares his wisdom, gained from years of play,
And guides their hands as they place stones with care,
Explaining how to make their moves each day
And win the game with skill and strategy rare.

With each new lesson, their abilities bloom
And they grow wiser in the ways of go,
Learning to think ahead and plan their moves
And outmaneuver foes with cunning blows.

My granddad's patience and guidance never cease
As he teaches his children and grandchildren the art of go.

This post by hzamir was liked by: Elom0

Post #19 Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:41 am 
Lives in sente

To chatGPT, well it says it's not for advice so of course the first thing I will do is defy that. Elon Musk would be a hypocrite to object to that philosophy . . .

elomhycykushiatorwillson_mail.com Give me advice
Here are a few pieces of advice:
Don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it.
Take time to reflect on your goals and priorities.
Be kind and respectful to others.
Don't be afraid to try new things and take risks.
Take care of yourself by getting enough sleep, exercise, and nutrition.
These are just a few general pieces of advice, and what might be right for one person may not be right for another. It's always a good idea to think about what is best for you and your situation.

elomhycykushiatorwillson_mail.com What is thickness in Go?
In the game of Go, thickness refers to a group of stones (i.e., the stones of one player) that are closely positioned together and form a solid wall or block. This can be a useful strategy in the game because it makes it difficult for the opponent to attack or invade the group of stones. Additionally, thickness can also serve as a way to build territory or potential territory on the board.

It gives the option for you to give what you think the ideal response should have been. Anyone? To be fair I think thickness in Go refers to my skull when I'm playing :lol:

This post by Elom0 was liked by: CDavis7M

Post #20 Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:59 am 
Gosei

ChatGPT is all about (language) shape and no brain ;-)

Still quite impressive :ugeek: