No. 77%  77%  [ 65 ]
Actually, I am ambidextrous. (I can use both) 7%  7%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 84
 Post subject: Re: Are you left handed?
Post #21 Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:10 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 103
Was liked: 39
Apparently, lefties are more likely to be at the extremes of intelligence. So more likely to be intelligent and more likely to be stupid, compared to righties. Another place lefties are over-represented is in the population of prisons. :twisted:

Post #22 Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:54 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 101
Was liked: 73
KGS: CarlJung
Stable wrote:
Apparently, lefties are more likely to be at the extremes of intelligence. So more likely to be intelligent and more likely to be stupid, compared to righties. Another place lefties are over-represented is in the population of prisons. :twisted:

Hmm.. didn't we hear the exact same thing about men compared to women a while ago on gd? I.e. men's intelligence have wider variations than women.

Post #23 Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:22 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 80
Was liked: 71
GD Posts: 175
I am neither left handed nor intelligent. But I am a drummer and I can use my four limbs independently :)

Post #24 Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:09 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 72
GD Posts: 1165
KGS: Dogen
freegame wrote:
I'm right handed, but I prefer my left feat/leg for soccer, climbing stairs ect.

You climb stairs on one leg? Must be slow... :-)

Post #25 Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:23 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 35
GD Posts: 353
KGS: freegame
kirkmc wrote:

freegame wrote:
I'm right handed, but I prefer my left feat/leg for soccer, climbing stairs ect.

You climb stairs on one leg? Must be slow...

lol, It's not nice to make fun of "crippled" people that way :twisted:

anyway, :roll: I mean I start using my left foot. But I guess you are right it was a bad example. ;-)
The fact that I use my left leg to push-of when jumping might have been a better example.

a more interesting questions is why most people are right handed.
animals also have a preferred paw (most dogs for example prefer their right front paw like humans). There has been quite some research about this.

Post #26 Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:19 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 67
Was liked: 10
GD Posts: 138
Helel wrote:
I am sorry to say that I don't quite understand what people mean when they talk about eating with their left hand.
The usual thing for right-handed people is to have the knife in the right hand and the fork in their left.
Are you talking about reversing this pattern, (or are you maybe eating with chopsticks)? :-?

In North America, those who are right handed put down the knife after cutting and then eat with the fork in the right hand. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eating_utensil_etiquette (in particular the difference between European and North American etiquette).

Post #27 Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:30 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 90
Was liked: 837
KGS: Capsule 4d
Tygem: 치킨까스 5d
Helel wrote:
I am sorry to say that I don't quite understand what people mean when they talk about eating with their left hand.
The usual thing for right-handed people is to have the knife in the right hand and the fork in their left.
Are you talking about reversing this pattern, (or are you maybe eating with chopsticks)? :-?

I hold the steak with the fork on my right hand and the cut the steak with the knife on my left hand, so at least for my case yes the pattern is reversed.

Post #28 Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:05 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 2
Hi,

I am completely right-handed (especially politically ;-) ). When I played football (soccer)
as a kid I was troubled by the fact that I played much better with my right foot. Being told by coaches that a
complete player should use both legs, I tried in some training matches to play predominately "left" and I also
made a lot of penalty kicks with the left leg respectively left foot - but it never became as skilled as my right one.
Once I got interested into this, I occasionly used tools like a screw driver with my left hand and I also tried to write with my
left hand (in addition to the right hand), but it was quite unpleasant and I gave up on it.

Not sure about a correlation with intelligence. There are a few isolated studies which claim to have found one.
Since this is not a very important question I doubt that the studies are really conclusive.

Cheers

hackinger

Post #29 Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:24 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 14
Was liked: 3
GD Posts: 446
Araban wrote:
Hmm, but he seems to be implying all Go players are intelligent... :).

I'm left-handed when I eat, but I write right-handed. :-?

Yes he did. :D He told me that a Go player must be intelligent to master all of the rules. :lol:

I use my right foot first when walking. Also to turn door knobs, but other than that I cant think of anything else that I do with my "right" side.

There seems to be a small amount of "lefties" but this is expected. Now I think that I should correlate a persons rank with which hand they use. Or something like that...

Post #30 Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:55 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 28
Was liked: 8
KGS: Actorios
Universal go server handle: Actorios
I'm left handed as well.

WHen you look at the poll, it seems that the proportion of left handed people on the forum is higher than in the average population... But, there is probably a biais in the fact that the question asked is "are you left handed?" (which is likely to bring more left handed people to this thread.

Some trivia for left-handed people visiting this thread:
Did you know that when a left handed person has a child, this child has 20% odds being left handed ?
This percentage raises to 40% when both parents are left handed.

Normal percentage is below 10%.

Post #31 Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:38 pm 
Dies with sente

Actorios wrote:
I'm left handed as well.

WHen you look at the poll, it seems that the proportion of left handed people on the forum is higher than in the average population... But, there is probably a biais in the fact that the question asked is "are you left handed?" (which is likely to bring more left handed people to this thread.

Some trivia for left-handed people visiting this thread:
Did you know that when a left handed person has a child, this child has 20% odds being left handed ?
This percentage raises to 40% when both parents are left handed.

Normal percentage is below 10%.

I probably should have rephrased the question then. :roll:

Thats intresting information. :cool:

Post #32 Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:18 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 49
Was liked: 17
GD Posts: 396
Araban wrote:
Helel wrote:

I hold the steak with the fork on my right hand and the cut the steak with the knife on my left hand, so at least for my case yes the pattern is reversed.

Same for me.

Post #33 Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:55 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 6
GD Posts: 186
I'm pretty close to ambidextrous, though my handwriting with my right hand is neater than my left. And "intelligent people" is pretty close to a meaning-free expression.

Post #34 Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:04 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 7
KGS: redponey
IGS: redponey
DGS: redponey
OGS: redponey
Kaya handle: redponey
I'm right handed, but I'm just as adept at playing go with my left hand.

Post #35 Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:38 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 253
Was liked: 105
I feel "ambiclumsy" summarizes me better. Albeit, I write with my right hand in tests where I can't use a laptop.

Interesting story; When I was quite little, we had to write a story at school. I wasn't so good at writing, but I worked hard and finished it. I gave it to my teacher, who was a little bemused ; evidently I'd written everything backwards, and I'd used my left hand to do it.

When I was younger I was right eye dominant, but my right eye has weakened over time, and now I'm left eye dominant (if you are wondering which you are, look at something and suddenly cover one eye; if the picture jumps, you covered your dominant eye)

Post #36 Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:49 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 103
Was liked: 39
CarlJung wrote:
Stable wrote:
Apparently, lefties are more likely to be at the extremes of intelligence...

Hmm.. didn't we hear the exact same thing about men compared to women a while ago on gd? I.e. men's intelligence have wider variations than women.

Yes. So if you're a left-handed man it's even worse!

Post #37 Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:29 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
Mosdefgo wrote:
I was recently having a conversation with my friend about intelligent people. He said that most of the intelligent people that he knew were left handed. Me being left handed was flattered but told him that what he said couldn't be true. So then he told me to ask all of my "go friends online" if they were left handed or not. Random question yes; but I want to know.

I'm actually working on using both but I'm predominantly left handed.

I have heard this theory as well, but slightly different.

What I heard implied that using your left hand exercised the right side of your brain, which is where the intelligence/logic sits. So people who use left hand more have their logic centers in slightly better shape. Or was it the other way around?

Statistically, this should translate that left handed people are, on average, slightly more intelligent than right handed people. The key word here is: 'statistically'... On the other hand, there seem to be many more right-handed people in the world, so the initial pool is much larger, which would imply greater diversity as well. So, in practice, you cannot make any prediction about a person's intelligence based on their 'handedness'.

PS> As we all know, statistics are nothing but damned lies, anyhow.
Consider two people, one has two chicken, one has none. Statistically, each has a chicken. In reality, one is getting fat while the other is starving.

For the record, I am right handed.
However, following the theory above, I strive to practice my left hand as well. For example - when I need to scratch my right foot, I *always* use the left hand! I can see myself getting smarter by the minute!

Post #38 Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:25 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 30
tj86430 wrote:
HermanHiddema wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Anyways, I suppose I could be considered somewhat intelligent ... I can dress myself almost all by myself! ;) (seriously, I put my shirt on inside out way too often, among other clothing mistakes)

Everyone knows the real test for intelligence is the ability to tie your own shoelaces! :cool:

Luckily they have invented loafers.

I tie my shoelaces in such a way that my feet can get in and out of the shoes without tying or untying the shoelaces. :P

Post #39 Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:32 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 101
Was liked: 73
KGS: CarlJung
unkx80 wrote:
HermanHiddema wrote:
Everyone knows the real test for intelligence is the ability to tie your own shoelaces! :cool:

I tie my shoelaces in such a way that my feet can get in and out of the shoes without tying or untying the shoelaces. :P

That's the true sign of intelligence!

Post #40 Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:22 pm 
Dies with sente

CarlJung wrote:
unkx80 wrote:

That's the true sign of intelligence!

I do it too. But I always thought it was a sign of laziness. :roll: