It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: London Go Centre in own premises
Post #1 Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:40 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
In the absence, as far as I know, of anyone here who belongs to the London Go Centre (uberdude seems to have crossed over to the reddits), I'll take it upon myself to alert L19 readers to the fact that the London Go centre as envisaged in the will of T Mark Hall has now taken shape.

The London go club has used his money to provide much of the funding for the purchase of a refurbished building in west London to create a home for mind sports - go, bridge and chess. See https://gocentre.londongo.club/

The official opening is on 13th November 2021. I gather this is an invitation-only event, and I plan to be there (it will be my first visit to central London in nearly two years, but seems worth risk!). However, the club already meets on a Wednesday evening, and I expect many Europeans (and Brits!) will also welcome the news that the London Open returns at the New Year.

As the executor of Mark's will, I would like to pay tribute to the teams within the BGA and the LGC who have worked hard and creatively to realise Mark's dream. At one point it looked like an insurmountable challenge, but as Honinbo Sansa reminded us, there's always hope for one last ko.

We now enter the "confirmation phase." I hope both British players and visitors will support it as much as they can.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by 4 people: Ferran, Harleqin, HKA, schrody

Post subject: Re: London Go Centre in own premises
Post #2 Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:46 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 14
John,

I'm looking forward to meeting you again. I think you will really like to new place, especially the T Mark Hall room (generally considered to be the best room in the building). Working hard on re-establishing the library and gallery. Article appearing in next BGJ.

We can't wait to host the London Open. We've acquired a traditional goban for the top board (we are looking for more...) and will be streaming the live games over YouTube.

If there is anything you would like to add here https://gocentre.londongo.club/t-mark-hall/ please contact us.

Gerry

Post subject: Re: London Go Centre in own premises
Post #3 Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:38 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 65
There is a party on Saturday November 6th at 7pm, after the T Mark Hall Rapid Play Tournament. I am planning to attend the party but won't be playing in the tournament.

https://gocentre.londongo.club/events/tmh-3/

I understand the party the following Saturday 13th is by invitation only for key people from the Bridge, Chess and Go communities - JF has been key.

Some 46 years have passed since Iwamoto 9p opened the London Go Centre in Belsize Park, London.There are still a few people around now from those days.

Take Care - John