It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tygem/WBaduk rank comparison
Post #1 Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:58 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 91
Was liked: 254
Does anyone else think that WBaduk players of rank x are much stronger than Tygem players of the same numerical rank? If I understand it correctly, ranks on WBaduk go up to 7 dan. Does this mean that WBaduk 7 dans are pro level?

Post subject: Re: Tygem/WBaduk rank comparison
Post #2 Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:00 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 96
Was liked: 100
lemmata wrote:
Does anyone else think that WBaduk players of rank x are much stronger than Tygem players of the same numerical rank? If I understand it correctly, ranks on WBaduk go up to 7 dan. Does this mean that WBaduk 7 dans are pro level?

Sandbaggers are a dime a dozen in the mid-high kyu ranges but the dan ranks at Wbaduk are generally considered soft compared to KGS.

Post #3 Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:05 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 192
Was liked: 357
No, Wbaduk 7 dan isn't very strong compared to other servers.

Go Game Guru: Learn Go | How to Get Better at Go | Go Game Shop | Go Boards | Baduk TV

Post #4 Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:29 pm 
Lives in gote

What is a mid-high kyu? High usually means stronger, but lower numbered kyus are stronger than higher numbered kyus. Also, mid- means middle, but what are the end points? 1 kyu is one end. Is 30 kyu the other one? I suppose that mid-high kyu could be 10-15k or 15-20k in that case.

It's only one game, but I am 1 dan on Tygem and nearly lost to a 5 kyu on an old WBaduk account that I had neglected for a while. I was kind of surprised. Maybe it was just a random happening. :scratch:

Post #5 Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:52 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 96
Was liked: 100
lemmata wrote:
What is a mid-high kyu? High usually means stronger, but lower numbered kyus are stronger than higher numbered kyus. Also, mid- means middle, but what are the end points? 1 kyu is one end. Is 30 kyu the other one? I suppose that mid-high kyu could be 10-15k or 15-20k in that case.

It's only one game, but I am 1 dan on Tygem and nearly lost to a 5 kyu on an old WBaduk account that I had neglected for a while. I was kind of surprised. Maybe it was just a random happening. :scratch:

When I said mid-high kyu I meant something like 4 kyu to 15 kyu. There are many dan sandbaggers on Wbaduk around 5k, 10k, and 15k.

Post #6 Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:40 pm 
Lives in gote

I see. Sandbaggers. They must be bored. :)

Post #7 Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:09 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
KGS: petri
cdybeijing wrote:
lemmata wrote:

When I said mid-high kyu I meant something like 4 kyu to 15 kyu. There are many dan sandbaggers on Wbaduk around 5k, 10k, and 15k.

I think that in addition to sandbagging it seems that rank worse than say 6k are meaningless. I have two accounts and games I play on my 6k account are not really different from those in my 13k account.

Ranks are just broken. 18k in wbaduk can be as strong as 6k

Post #8 Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:42 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
petri wrote:

I think that in addition to sandbagging it seems that rank worse than say 6k are meaningless. I have two accounts and games I play on my 6k account are not really different from those in my 13k account.

I hope you don't have anything against sandbaggers, because there might be one in your room.

Post #9 Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:54 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
KGS: petri
daal wrote:
petri wrote:

I hope you don't have anything against sandbaggers, because there might be one in your room.

Well I lose and win on both accounts. I just started to wonder how come I cant win more often on 13k account. I win less than half of my games (not really a sandbagging then?) on 13k account so I started to wonder is that really meaningful situation if 1d wb == 1d kgs how could on weaker player need 9 ranks drop in rank, so I made 6k account to see if it is any different. So in wbaduk raising from 13 to 6k by playing is almost impossible. Because just about every one is around 6k strength.

Basically bad ranking algorithm unsuited for developing players + some intentional sandbaggers == big range of ranks, where ranks mean absolutely nothing