It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Slow games
Post #1 Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:11 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 31
Was liked: 8
What's the easiest way to play slower-paced real time games? It feels like fast-paced go is much more popular both in clubs and online. I always hit byo-yomi by the halfway point when I automatch on KGS medium speed, and at that point I read and think too slowly to actually evaluate the moves I'm making. To me thinking about a long-term strategy and tactics to serve it is the fun part, so when I ruin my position by making moves I didn't have time to evaluate for the second half of the game I don't even enjoy playing.

Turn-based feels too far on the other end of the spectrum with games taking months, "analysis paralysis", and no limits on how much of your day you can spend thinking. I like sitting down to play and finish a single game, I just don't like running out of time to think.

Anyway, is there such a thing as a server where slower games are popular? I'm maybe 6k or weaker if that affects anything.

Post subject:
Post #2 Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:35 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
My time setting is Canadian 1 min. + 20 moves / 30 mins.
I use this same time setting on both KGS and IGS.
Most likely you would not play any more slowly than that.
Some KGS players escape; IGS players cannot escape (after the initial moves).
I have no problem getting rated games with this setting on IGS.
On KGS, sometimes I have to wait longer, but eventually I can get a rated game.

So the easiest way is set a slow time setting and play on IGS and KGS -- just do it. :)

This post by EdLee was liked by 2 people: betterlife, konfuzed

Post subject: Re: Slow games
Post #3 Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:51 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 31
Was liked: 8
Thanks, maybe I'll try IGS, never used it before. I don't like handicap games much either; so picky :lol:

Post #4 Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:58 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 1562
Was liked: 140
GD Posts: 892
konfuzed wrote:
What's the easiest way to play slower-paced real time games? It feels like fast-paced go is much more popular both in clubs and online. I always hit byo-yomi by the halfway point when I automatch on KGS medium speed, and at that point I read and think too slowly to actually evaluate the moves I'm making. To me thinking about a long-term strategy and tactics to serve it is the fun part, so when I ruin my position by making moves I didn't have time to evaluate for the second half of the game I don't even enjoy playing.

Turn-based feels too far on the other end of the spectrum with games taking months, "analysis paralysis", and no limits on how much of your day you can spend thinking. I like sitting down to play and finish a single game, I just don't like running out of time to think.

Anyway, is there such a thing as a server where slower games are popular? I'm maybe 6k or weaker if that affects anything.

I can't really make any recommendations, then, since my perfect time limit is KGS's automatch medium. Never ran out of time, and rarely have a lot of time left if the game goes to endgame.
I'd experiment either increasing the time limit until you're comfortable (likely the byo-yomi settings, since that would give you more time per move).

If you want to improve your skill at playing faster, however, I'd recommend what I did: force myself to play blitz, or very fast settings, and try to do my best during the game, and never timeout.
I used to lose on time a lot, and that practice helped me to be much better at managing my time.

Post #5 Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:01 am 
Gosei

I also recommend Canadian overtime, since I feel it allows you to take your time with some moves, and play faster on others that don't require as much time.
Others have recommended Fischer time to me, saying it's better than Canadian, but I haven't really tried it. I think so far, Kaya.gs is the only place you can try Fischer, but I can be wrong.

This post by Phelan was liked by: konfuzed

Post subject: Re:
Post #6 Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:25 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
EdLee wrote:
IGS players cannot escape (after the initial moves).

sure they can

Post #7 Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:31 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
konfuzed wrote:
I always hit byo-yomi by the halfway point when I automatch on KGS medium speed, and at that point I read and think too slowly to actually evaluate the moves I'm making.

Me too. It makes me wonder why KGS has automatch settings for blitz, fast and medium games, but not for slow.

This post by daal was liked by 2 people: konfuzed, Splatted

Post #8 Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:36 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
I used to play 1 hour main time games on KGS, it just took a bit longer to get a game.

This post by Uberdude was liked by 2 people: konfuzed, Phelan

Post subject:
Post #9 Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:43 pm 
Honinbo

xed_over wrote:
EdLee wrote:
IGS players cannot escape (after the initial moves).
sure they can
If they don't come back to the game within 5 minutes, they lose.

Post #10 Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:03 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
EdLee wrote:
If they don't come back to the game within 5 minutes, they lose.

And they've still escaped. :)

This post by oren was liked by: xed_over

Post subject:
Post #11 Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:11 pm 
Honinbo

oren wrote:
And they've still escaped. :)
Not to me; it has the same result as if they had resigned the rated game, so to me (and to IGS) they have resigned.
On KGS, the "occasional" (not chronic) escaper gets away with the escape (to KGS they have not resigned).

Post #12 Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:12 pm 
Oza

EdLee wrote:
Not to me; it has the same result as if they had resigned the rated game, so to me they have resigned.
On KGS, the "occasional" (not chronic) escaper gets away with the escape.

I see. In my opinion that seems like an escape to me, but it's all in the viewpoint.

Post #13 Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:19 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 26
Was liked: 18
KGS: Annihilist
IGS: Annihilist
DGS: Ubermensch
Kaya handle: Annihilist
konfuzed wrote:

I am exactly the same. I set my ranked games on KGS to 45 minutes (compromise) but I still run out of time. I also don't like handicap games much. What's the point of playing games if you can't even think about your moves properly? Slower games are always better.

This post by Annihilist was liked by: konfuzed

Post subject:
Post #14 Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:20 pm 
Honinbo

oren wrote:
In my opinion that seems like an escape to me, but it's all in the viewpoint.
I agree. It's all in the viewpoint. In principle, we don't know if they have escaped or have a bad connection;
but in practice, most of the time they escape when losing, so we know it is an escape --
some servers (IGS, Tygem, Cyberoro) award an official loss to the escaper; and KGS only marks the user without awarding the loss (unless it becomes chronic).
So on IGS, Tygem, Cyberoro, etc. I consider they cannot escape without getting a loss.

Post #15 Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:48 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
EdLee wrote:
So on IGS, Tygem, Cyberoro, etc. I consider they cannot escape without getting a loss.

You seem to have associated the word "escape" to not losing. It doesn't mean that at all.
It simply means they've left the game unexpectedly.

Post #16 Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:50 pm 
Oza

Ed, they escaped having to play you. They are an escaper. :)

Sure, they got a loss, but you also got a win you didn't earn. It seems everyone is penalized.

Post subject:
Post #17 Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:04 pm 
Honinbo

xed_over, oren: I know exactly what all these terms mean and the ramifications on the servers.
In fact, we all know that. Escaping policies have been a perennial discussion forever on Go forums.
Anyway, to me, non-chronic escapers can escape on KGS; IGS escapers get a loss.
(Of course, anybody can escape at any time in any situation -- you can have a heart attack -- so that's a tautology. )

Post #18 Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:14 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 47
Universal go server handle: djllap
oren wrote:
Ed, they escaped having to play you. They are an escaper. :)

Sure, they got a loss, but you also got a win you didn't earn. It seems everyone is penalized.

It seems to me that if you leave a game because you are losing, and you are aware this will count a loss, escaping is exactly the same as resigning except not as polite. Saying that the win wasn't deserved is like saying that all wins by resignation are not deserved. "Escaping" is as much an admission of defeat as a formal resignation.

Post #19 Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:31 pm 
Oza

DJLLAP wrote:
It seems to me that if you leave a game because you are losing, and you are aware this will count a loss, escaping is exactly the same as resigning except not as polite. Saying that the win wasn't deserved is like saying that all wins by resignation are not deserved. "Escaping" is as much an admission of defeat as a formal resignation.

He has stated earlier that people are escaping the game after noticing the time limits. This is not a loss on the board that people are escaping from but game conditions.

Post #20 Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:11 pm 
Gosei

While this is an interesting discussion that is completely novel to these boards, I still wonder if "How to find slow games" is not a more appropriate theme for the thread.

This post by Phelan was liked by: daal