It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: GoPanda 2 browser client
Post #21 Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:41 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 28
GD Posts: 109
Universal go server handle: EricBackus
rbuchmann wrote:
Hi everyone, Rasmus here, one of the developers :)

...In the meantime, you can use net social plaza to download your games: http://my.pandanet.co.jp/index-e.htm . Ask me, if you need help navigating it. :tmbup:

This works, sort of. But the games are in .ugi format rather than .sgf. And the filenames look like random strings of characters. These drawbacks make saving games from the web not very appealing.

In the past, I used the "automail" setting to get IGS to email me a copy of each game that I played. This worked well - the files were in SGF format, and the filenames were reasonable. What's strange is this seems to have stopped working now. The last few games that I played on IGS did not get mailed to me.

So I have two questions:
1. Can we get automail to work again?
2. Can the web archive provide games in SGF format with friendlier names, just like automail has always done?

Thanks!

Post #22 Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:00 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 14
Was liked: 3
IGS: Fede
EricBackus wrote:
In the past, I used the "automail" setting to get IGS to email me a copy of each game that I played. This worked well - the files were in SGF format, and the filenames were reasonable. What's strange is this seems to have stopped working now. The last few games that I played on IGS did not get mailed to me.

So I have two questions:
1. Can we get automail to work again?
2. Can the web archive provide games in SGF format with friendlier names, just like automail has always done?

Thanks!

I confirm that it's not working anymore. I always used it to have a copy of the Pandanet European Go Team Championship games (League C Manager) in case someone had complaints about the results, but it stopped working between dec 4th and dec 11th. :sad:

Post #23 Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:11 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 201
Was liked: 333
GD Posts: 428
oren wrote:
I've used IGS for a fairly long time with a bunch of different clients and this is the first that doesn't leave me a console.

While this is certainly a valid criticism...on the other hand I've used quite a few IGS clients, and this is one of the first I've used that didn't have the first thing that pops up in your face upon sign on be a console, which I found to be a pleasant change (and one I think will help out new users with IGS). A console is a nice thing to have though if you are used to it, and I'm glad to see it's on their "coming soon" list of features.

Post #24 Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:22 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 137
Was liked: 68
KGS: Unusedname
idk about an automail feature, but is there an autosave feature like there was with pandago1?

Post #25 Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:36 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 7
KGS: MrChance
Tygem: -
IGS: MrChance
Universal go server handle: MrChance
Hi Guys,

an update, and some sneak peeks at the next version. First of all the best news: We got rid of Java, hooray :clap:
Also in the next version:
- a native package for all major operating systems
- Works like a "traditional" client, without the local webserver nonsense and in its own window
- Redid some resource intensive parts as well, such as the game and player list, so the client should run even smoother.
(Coincidentally, the technology switch we are doing also brings the web-only client closer to becoming a reality.)

Settling on this technology will also make it easier for us to focus on doing some of the remaining "non web" stuff, like the much requested autosave feature.
I am honestly surprised that quite a few people miss the console! We thought it would be time to move past ASCII squirrels :D
Can I ask you what you are doing with it? Or are you just fans of a commandline interface?
I know I am for my linux, but writing IGS protocol by hand...? Come on...

We will probably post a preview link here, and you could do us a great favor if you gave it a try and told us how it worked out. We definitely need more testers!
I'll post a more complete changelist when we get closer to releasing the testable version.

Thanks!

This post by rbuchmann was liked by 6 people: Bonobo, Charlie, EdLee, lobotommy, Phelan, vash3g

Post #26 Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:26 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
rbuchmann wrote:

I am honestly surprised that quite a few people miss the console! We thought it would be time to move past ASCII squirrels :D
Can I ask you what you are doing with it? Or are you just fans of a commandline interface?

its been a long time since I've actually used IGS, but as I recall, you can only setup an Ing Rules games using the console: tmatch

There are probably others that I don't recall.

And the commands from the console don't change, whereas each new client keeps moving the buttons, or their appearance (or leaves them off altogether), such that I have to re-learn how to use the client -- or I can simply use what I already know and am familiar with :)

This post by xed_over was liked by: oren

Post #27 Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:15 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 36
I don't play on IGS often enough to remember terminal commands, but when gopanda misbehaved it was useful. A few times it wasn't possible to set an even game when ranks are not equal (or we couldn't figure out). Once nobody could enter the tournament room by clicking. Both situations it was fine through terminal. So I don't really want to use the terminal but when there is something strange going on it can be a saver.

This post by kivi was liked by: Phelan

Post #28 Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:51 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
Is there a way to create/join channels in GoPanda2.

Not being able to open multiple games in different windows will be very annoying when the AGA city league gets started.

Post #29 Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:03 pm 
Oza

oren wrote:
Not being able to open multiple games in different windows will be very annoying when the AGA city league gets started.

oh yeah, especially for a tournament director

Post #30 Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:12 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 1
I have been on IGS for a long time.. since the hellspark days. I have been very active in multiple ways over the years.

Personally, I always thought winigc was the best client going. I even paid for the licensed version of it, but the writer of the app stopped developing it.

A few of the things I noticed that would be nice to include. There is a trail command that you can not access, there is no way to access channels to talk to others, you can no manage friends and sort the user list by them. If there was access to the terminal a person could at least use these commands while the client was in development.

Another thing for me is that IGS holds a big social aspect and with the new client, that is limited. It is just play the game and would not keep me interested in returning if this was the only client to be used.

Post subject:
Post #31 Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:25 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
rbuchmann wrote:
We will probably post a preview link here, and you could do us a great favor if you gave it a try and told us how it worked out.
Happy to test it! :)

Post #32 Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:59 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 33
Yesterday I tried it out (my first igs games since god knows when). I really like the eye candy and ease of use though it's definitely a tad slow.

But what bothered me most: no way to replay my own games? The social plaza link doesn't work either. I hope this will be added in future updates. Oh, and one more thing: when watching multiple games it's kinda irritating to hear stone clicking sounds from all the boards, should be just the active tab/window.

Looking forward to the new version!

Post #33 Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:29 pm 
Oza

golem7 wrote:
The social plaza link doesn't work either.

http://my.pandanet.co.jp/index-e.htm

Post #34 Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:21 pm 
Dies with sente

thanks, but same result as before: after login it redirects me to an obscure page in japanese...

Post #35 Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:25 pm 
Oza

It works for me. Can you provide a screen shot?

Post #36 Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:00 pm 
Dies with sente

this is the page I get after(!) submitting the correct login. the button doesn't do anything. lost in translation :scratch:

Attachments:
pandascreen.JPG
pandascreen.JPG [ 41.96 KiB | Viewed 10291 times ]

Post #37 Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:09 pm 
Oza

Hmm, you're somehow ending up on the page for Japanese users where they need to have a user number as well. Only thing I can think of is entering wrong username or password and getting to a page you shouldn't. You should try to contact the admins.

Post subject: Re:
Post #38 Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:28 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 94
Universal go server handle: tommyray (1d/2d)
EdLee wrote:
rbuchmann wrote:
We will probably post a preview link here, and you could do us a great favor if you gave it a try and told us how it worked out.
Happy to test it! :)

Where's the link? Where's the link!?

Post #39 Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:24 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 10
At the risk of being stoned to death here. Good pun, eh?

To the developers.

Yes, the page you show has wonderful "eye candy".

However, please spend the time on utility first, then worry about the aesthetics.
By utility, I mean that the client or program, whatever it is, should incorporate ALL of the various
functions and capabilities of now ancient IGS clients, not a partial subset.

I use WinIgc on a daily basis because it is vastly superior in so many ways to Glgo, and GoPanda1.
It is more flexible, more customizable, and I am able to work and do things MUCH faster and with less
messing around with pop-ups,tabs or overlayed windows (all of which I despise in this application) that show up in the wrong place, take up too much screen real-estate and do NOT allow multitasking in ONE window.

I DEFINITELY do not EVER want a pop up to tell me that my time is low in a blitz game!! Right?

Right now I can either play a game AND/OR chat, look at stats, channels, who is on, do a shout, to a tell, etc. all without touching any buttons or tabs, merely by typing (rapidly) in commands on the command line at the
bottom of the terminal window.

Can NOT do this in Glgo. No chance, it doesn't configure that way. It is unable to do this.

Plus I can modify the sound file(s) to those of my preference. I recorded my own real stone click, for example.
It's just a .wav file not something hidden.

The software permits the user to write scripts, and modify events and actions that normally occur, like the sound of a game offer, have a sound or not, have a pop up or NOT. Literally all of the possible IGS actions and events have a set of options that the user can choose. You can choose the sound of an event, put your own sound file in if you wish...

There are even some options that I never fully understood that seem to offer even greater personalization.

Who, Users, Games all sort and display easily, and do not interfere with all the other interactive tasks and activities - it's all up at one time in two basic windows. No pop ups.

Also, although I may be odd, I prefer to not have the distraction of a "fancy" board or "3D" rendered boards or stones. I have it set for what would be the equivalent of the diagrams we see in typical Go textbooks.

Gentlemen, this is now software that is about 15 years old. Its development was truncated prematurely. Yet it still
has far greater functionality than anything has come since. There's something awry if that is the case, and it is.

Perhaps a good close look at what WinIgc offered is the first step in defining and building a new platform or client, whatever it actually is? I would be happy to send a copy (unregistered, but it will work) to any developer who does not have it for reference.

While most users will "make do" with whatever they get and have to use, it does make a difference, and more sophisticated users would likely prefer to be able to arrange things more to their personal preferences.

I hope this gives some food for thought.

Regards,

_-_-

PS. the image of the bowls and the like is very pretty, but I personally do not need or prefer the distraction, or the use of the extra screen area. Others may well like it fine. But the option of having it or not would be the most preferable.

This post by bearzbear was liked by 3 people: Bonobo, direwolf, oren

Post subject:
Post #40 Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:15 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
bearzbear, could you post a screenshot (or, a few, if time permits) of WinIgc --
mainly, of what it looks like on your screen when you are playing a game. Thanks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next