It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: wbaduk on wine redux
Post #1 Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:55 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 96
Was liked: 100
I know this has been discussed before, but not recently.

The java client does not work well enough for me to play on consistently in my Ubuntu 12.04 install.

My best wbaduk experience was on my 10.04 machine running through wine; it was a little buggy, but the client hardly froze and I could always play my games without difficultly.

For a brief while earlier this year I was running Kubuntu 11.10. A wine install of wbaduk on that system was god-awful; starting a game would always crash the client, and I couldn't even watch or review games of others.

Has anyone had a successful wine install on 12.04? If so, could you specify which version of wine and which version of wbaduk?

Post subject: Re: wbaduk on wine redux
Post #2 Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:28 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
KGS: petri
cdybeijing wrote:
I know this has been discussed before, but not recently.

The java client does not work well enough for me to play on consistently in my Ubuntu 12.04 install.

My best wbaduk experience was on my 10.04 machine running through wine; it was a little buggy, but the client hardly froze and I could always play my games without difficultly.

Has anyone had a successful wine install on 12.04? If so, could you specify which version of wine and which version of wbaduk?

I did not get it working on 12.04. If I try to play or watch a game I get bundle of OLE handle errors and defunct client. I can watch "privately" a game but thats all.

I tried installing flash on wine and disabling flash from setting to no effect

Post #3 Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:33 am 
Lives in gote

I get the same error.

Post #4 Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:41 am 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
You could try qgo2 which was able to log on to wbaduk before. I haven't tried it in a while.

https://github.com/pzorin/qgo

Post #5 Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:07 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 75
Was liked: 58
On my old Debian Squeeze installation, wbaduk with wine seems to run without major problems (The only issue: When I'm in a context menu of a player name and just at that time get a game request, I can not answer it; the programm freezes until the game request is gone...).

When I start wbaduk under Windows 7 as non-admin user, I immediately get an error box saying

"Access violation at address 0065AF54 in module 'Oro20.exe'. Read of address 000002EC".

This box comes with a warning sound, then another error box appears etc. (about one error box per second). In no time, the error messages clutter all over the screen and the only way to get rid of them is to kill the ORO*.exe process in the task manager. When starting wbaduk as administrator, it works longer, but eventually the error boxes also appear (e. g. when watching another game after the game has been finished by counting). In summary wbaduk is not usable under Windows 7 for me.

I guess that newer versions of wine tend to be more compatible with Windows 7, while the old version of Debian Squeeze is more like Windows XP. How does wbaduk run on Windows XP - any experience?

Yesterday, I logged into wbaduk from my Debian machine and was one of two German players amongst >2000 mostly Korean players in the playlist. I think the buggy client is the main cause preventing more players from Europe to test Wbaduk.

My current statistics there is 3 wins vs. 12 losses as 10kyu (my initial guess was 9kyu...), but in this case I need to debug my brain instead of the client... :mrgreen:

Post #6 Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:36 am 
Beginner

oren wrote:
You could try qgo2 which was able to log on to wbaduk before. I haven't tried it in a while.

https://github.com/pzorin/qgo

Thx, this works. Just have know that wbaduk is oro in the list.

And it is this specific version one has to use. There seems to be 3 qgo's around and one from Ubuntu repo's will not work.

This is better than the real one. No avatars and no annoying animations!!

Post #7 Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:24 am 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
petri wrote:
And it is this specific version one has to use. There seems to be 3 qgo's around and one from Ubuntu repo's will not work.

Yeah, this is qgo2 where qgo original was just igs. Unfortunately the repo and executable never changed names.

Post #8 Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:06 am 
Lives in gote

Guys - I am feeling left out. I really want to install this qgo2 but I have never used qmake before and it's not working well for me. I've followed all the instructions in the readme and install files (after downloading the zip) but I can't get past the make command without getting an error 127.

Post #9 Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:17 am 
Lives in gote

Was liked: 114
cdybeijing wrote:
Guys - I am feeling left out. I really want to install this qgo2 but I have never used qmake before and it's not working well for me. I've followed all the instructions in the readme and install files (after downloading the zip) but I can't get past the make command without getting an error 127.

What else does it print along with the error code? A quick google suggests this (mostly?) comes up if it can't find the uic binary, does it say something like 'uic not found'?

Post #10 Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:21 am 
Lives in gote

amnal wrote:
cdybeijing wrote:

What else does it print along with the error code? A quick google suggests this (mostly) comes up if it can't find the uic binary, does it say something like 'uic not found'?

/usr/bin/uic-qt4 mainwindow.ui -o ../build/ui/ui_mainwindow.h
make: /usr/bin/uic-qt4: Command not found
make: *** [../build/ui/ui_mainwindow.h] Error 127

Post #11 Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:24 am 
Lives in gote

cdybeijing wrote:
amnal wrote:
cdybeijing wrote:

What else does it print along with the error code? A quick google suggests this (mostly) comes up if it can't find the uic binary, does it say something like 'uic not found'?

make: *** [../build/ui/ui_mainwindow.h] Error 127

Hmm...a few ideas that may shed light:

- What distro are you using?
- Do you have qt4 installed?
- What qmake command did you use? qmake, or is it something like qmake-qt4?
- Does 'uic-qt4' exist on your system? If you have locate installed with an up to date database (sudo updatedb), you can just do 'locate uic-qt4'.

Edit: I guess based on http://www.qtforum.org/article/859/afte ... r-127.html you either don't have uic installed (and maybe other components) or it isn't in your $PATH

Post #12 Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:32 am 
Lives in gote

amnal wrote:

make: *** [../build/ui/ui_mainwindow.h] Error 127[/quote]

Hmm...a few ideas that may shed light:

- What distro are you using?
- Do you have qt4 installed?
- What qmake command did you use? qmake, or is it something like qmake-qt4?
- Does 'uic-qt4' exist on your system? If you have locate installed with an up to date database (sudo updatedb), you can just do 'locate uic-qt4'.[/quote]

This is awesome, live support!

Ubuntu 12.04
Yes, installed qt4 specifically for this
I used the command qmake, not qmake qt4
I'm not sure if I have locate installed - I ran the locate uic-qt4 command and didn't get any feedback.

Post #13 Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:36 am 
Lives in gote

cdybeijing wrote:
Ubuntu 12.04
Yes, installed qt4 specifically for this
I used the command qmake, not qmake qt4
I'm not sure if I have locate installed - I ran the locate uic-qt4 command and didn't get any feedback.

According to http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?searc ... l&arch=any , you need the package libqt4-dev-bin , which might conceivably not be part of the standard qt4 installation. If you don't have it already, try installing it and see if the compilation still fails.

Edit: Sorry, that's for 12.10, for 12.04 you want libqt4-dev

Post #14 Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:47 am 
Lives in gote

I got it to work - thanks Amnal!

Post #15 Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:48 am 
Beginner

cdybeijing wrote:

I got it to work but few issues so far:
Annoying "lets have fantastic game" gizmo was in anointing place and hard to move as it has no title bar. I modified it place and size in source and now it better

Second was that in two games stone was not placed on board. I t could be that this could be connetionissue i.e qgo sends message to server and places stone on board only after receiving ack from server. One of these days I will check.

Gee at least at around my strength these people play differently. Making four point extension will induce a invasion regardless of the wall supporting it :) Well that’s the reason to play there. learning how to handle hazard moves, to a degree at least.

Post #16 Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:32 am 
Lives in gote

I haven't tried playing any games yet but from my observation it seemed that on all servers (I tested wbaduk and tygem) komi always shows at 0.5. Also I noticed that in the byo-yomi countdown there is a zero second count before going into the next period.

Post #17 Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:31 pm 
Beginner

cdybeijing wrote:
I haven't tried playing any games yet but from my observation it seemed that on all servers (I tested wbaduk and tygem) komi always shows at 0.5. Also I noticed that in the byo-yomi countdown there is a zero second count before going into the next period.

komi is 6.5 in wbaduk if opponent is of same rank. Komi set in game term negotiation.

Post #18 Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:47 pm 
Beginner

petri wrote:
cdybeijing wrote:

I got it to work but few issues so far:
Annoying "lets have fantastic game" gizmo was in anointing place and hard to move as it has no title bar. I modified it place and size in source and now it better

Second was that in two games stone was not placed on board. I t could be that this could be connetionissue i.e qgo sends message to server and places stone on board only after receiving ack from server. One of these days I will check.

Gee at least at around my strength these people play differently. Making four point extension will induce a invasion regardless of the wall supporting it :) Well that’s the reason to play there. learning how to handle hazard moves, to a degree at least.

No possibility to continue a game after you got disconnected. I had to finish game by phone to avoid 5 minutes default loss.

I guess this means some wiresharking and patching the program :(

Wbaduk seems to have connection problems every now and then resulting these problems bit too often. In qgo I can see it so thath clicking will not have effect but other connections like browser work fine.

Post #19 Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:04 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 3
GD Posts: 10
Wow, this is awesome! I've been looking for an easy way to connect to WBaduk on linux and hadn't found it.

Btw, I made a PPA here for those who don't want to compile it. It was tested on Ubuntu 13.04 but may work on other variants. Just run:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kalaka/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install qgo

There's also some debs here, but of course you shouldn't install those from people you don't trust (specially on a forum ;-)).

Last edited by Sampi on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #20 Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:06 am 
Lives in gote

Sampi wrote:
Wow, this is awesome! I've been looking for an easy way to connect to WBaduk on linux and hadn't found it.

Btw, I made a PPA here for those who don't want to compile it. It only works on i386 (I'm working on making one for amd64 as well). It was tested on Ubuntu 13.04 but may work on other variants. There's also a .deb here, but of course you shouldn't install those from people you don't trust (specially on a forum ;-)).

Wish you had put that together before I had to figure it out for myself!