It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Panda2 for OS X game doesn't allow to play stone
Post #1 Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:24 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 34
Was liked: 52
I started playing on IGS recently after a long hiatus from the game of go. I installed Gopanda2 client and have a paid account on IGS because I am in Japan. (Let's not focus on the payment in Japan, though.)

The problem is that when I start a game, the begins and my opponent sends me a message. When I try to place a stone, I get an error message and it says that I cannot place a stone on an occupied tile. There is also something else displayed which is garbled. I assume it is telling me an error in Japanese, but I don't know what the error is. The clock stops ticking on my screen, but after that minute, it says I lost on time. I know it doesn't count, so I am just trying to figure out how to make it work.

So, what am I missing? Any ideas?

I did play on GlGO ok, but it keeps Disconnecting for no reason. I also played on the iPad client, which works fine, but I prefer to play on the computer. It would be ok if I were forced to play on iPad, but it is not ideal for me.

I emailed customer service as well and filed a bug report, but it might not be a bug, and may more likely be an issue with the fact that I cannot read the error and I am just missing something.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Post subject: Re: Panda2 for OS X game doesn't allow to play stone
Post #2 Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:17 am 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
Add a screen shot. It would make it easier.

You can also use Pandanet Japan's client which isn't bad, but it's windows only.

Post #3 Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:35 pm 
Lives with ko

Sure. Heres is an image, though it is a photo of the screen rather than a screen shot.

http://i.imgur.com/wjdjbr5.jpg?1

I have started to use the Japanese client on Bootcamp and it works fine. I am just not familiar with all the Kanji, so I need to either find a translation of some screens or spend time translating myself. Mostly, I am ok using it, and played a successful game last night. I also had to spend time figuring out how to make the Japanese text appear since it is not a unicode application. I found the answer here, in case anyone else needs it: http://superuser.com/questions/497857/h ... -windows-8

Post #4 Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:18 pm 
Oza

I have to admit that error looks weird. If you're fine using bootcamp, you have that as an option. If you're in Japan and playing go, it's good to learn how to use the Japanese clients anyway. :)

Post #5 Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:23 pm 
Lives with ko

oren wrote:
I have to admit that error looks weird. If you're fine using bootcamp, you have that as an option. If you're in Japan and playing go, it's good to learn how to use the Japanese clients anyway. :)

Yea. My Japanese is pretty good, but I just don't know some of the Kanji in the client. I don't mind using it since there are some added things on there as well. I just was hoping this is something that happened to other people and there was a quick easy solution that I was missing.
edit: Also the new panda2 client is prettier. I guess if I want pretty, I will have to use the ipad.

Post #6 Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:01 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
oren wrote:
If you're fine using bootcamp, you have that as an option.
Any virtualisation (Parallels Desktop (commercial), VirtualBox (free)) should also do, perhaps even some flavour of Wine like DarWine/WineBottler/CrossOver/etc. could perhaps help.

Post #7 Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:51 pm 
Oza

Bonobo wrote:
oren wrote:
If you're fine using bootcamp, you have that as an option.
Any virtualisation (Parallels Desktop (commercial), VirtualBox (free)) should also do, perhaps even some flavour of Wine like DarWine/WineBottler/CrossOver/etc. could perhaps help.

Sometimes the best option is the one you already have working. :)

Post subject: Re: Panda2 for OS X game doesn't allow to play stone [Solved
Post #8 Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:08 pm 
Lives with ko

I have figured out the problem, it is a bit silly (makes me look like a jerk?), and easy to solve.

I was reading the rules of IGS very carefully and I found this on one of the pages discussing the ranking system and points http://pandanet-igs.com/communities/pandanet/60:

Quote:
7. Games with special ratings
The games in the cases specified below do not become rating games, but rating points may be added or subtracted.
[*]When the player does not making a greeting within one minute of the start of the game, it becomes a loss. This game does not become a rating game, but the winner is given 50 points and the loser is penalized 50 points.

That is when I realized that I didn't say "hi" to my opponent. On the ipad, the greeting is done automatically. On the Japanese version of Pandanet, the greeting is done automatically. On the Mac version of GoPanda2, the greeting is not done automatically. I have to type, "hi" into the chat box before play is allowed to begin (despite the fact that the clock is already started).

So, my lesson and the solution? Don't be a jerk; say "hi" to your opponent.
Actually, I think that should be a go idiom.

This post by Go_Japan was liked by: Bonobo

Post #9 Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:05 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 25
Was liked: 124
KGS: STOP STALKING ME
That's such a terrible rule.