It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 20 kyu vs 22 kyu Game
Post #1 Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:17 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 116
After a break of about a year, I started playing Go again. I'm about 22 kyu on OGS and my aim is to study/play go for one hour a day and see how much growth I can make.

Just finished a game where I made some good, and some bad moves.
I am black, 22 kyu, against white 20 kyu.

I made 3 big mistakes during the game I saw myself, seconds after making the move (clock was a bit of an issue, otherwise those mistakes might've been avoided, I think. 10 minute game clock + 3x30s so there was some pressure!

Anyway. My big mistakes (in chronological and severity order: )

199. Just killed that whole bunch of stones by letting them get cut off.
263. Put myself in Atari and made white life in that corner. But he didn't see it and I was let off the hook! (EDIT: after rewatching the game I saw that I didn't put myself in Atari. I saw this wrong during the game.)
271. Upper stones are weaker, defended the wrong side.

Anyone willing to put his/her thoughts on this game would be very much appreciated.
Also I'd greatly appreciate anyone pointing out my biggest flaws/weaknesses and my "greatest" strengths, in order to know what I need to work on mostly.

Post subject: Re: 20 kyu vs 22 kyu Game
Post #2 Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:18 am 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
Up through move 17, you are looking like a SDK. ( Maybe J17 could have been at K16, but that is a minor quibble for 22K )

Move 19: B4 is big, not only does it protect your heavy stones at C6/7/9, but it threatens to invade the corner.
Note that it is double sente: if he took B4 first, he would grab the corner and threaten to undercut your group.

Move 26 is small. It is too early to try to erase his eye space, for he has lots of room to run. ( Compare this to the left side, where black does not have much running room. )
O15 would restict him.
B4 is still double sente.
L5 is the border between two moyos, and as such, does double duty.

Gotta feed the cats; more later.

Post #3 Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:38 am 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
33: L15 or L16 might kill.

35: You cannot simultaneously run as fast on both sides sides as he can in the middle. He is probably out right now, so your best bet is to follow the proberb and "Make territory while attacking."
Step back with M14. If he still runs, you can play L5 or O10.

35: You are playing toothpaste go. Not only are you forcing him to escape, but you are now overconcentrated on the upper left. The J17 stone is too close to your newly created wall.

37: You are overconcetrated on one side, weak on the other. N14 is better. Tenukiing may be good also.

39: Having made your N15 stone weak, you now have to spend a move saving it. Is it worth that much to you?
If you are determined to do this, N13 is better shape.
You seem to be over-focussed on this attack, ignoring the rest of the board.

41: This is cramped and inefficient. O13 is better shape.

Post #4 Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:10 pm 
Lives in gote

Thanks very much for those insights. You've given me some nice pointers and I understand the game a bit better now, already.
Much appreciated!

Post #5 Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:16 am 
Lives in gote

Joaz Banbeck wrote:
33: L15 or L16 might kill.

35: You cannot simultaneously run as fast on both sides sides as he can in the middle. He is probably out right now, so your best bet is to follow the proberb and "Make territory while attacking."
Step back with M14. If he still runs, you can play L5 or O10.

35: You are playing toothpaste go. Not only are you forcing him to escape, but you are now overconcentrated on the upper left. The J17 stone is too close to your newly created wall.

37: You are overconcetrated on one side, weak on the other. N14 is better. Tenukiing may be good also.

39: Having made your N15 stone weak, you now have to spend a move saving it. Is it worth that much to you?
If you are determined to do this, N13 is better shape.
You seem to be over-focussed on this attack, ignoring the rest of the board.

41: This is cramped and inefficient. O13 is better shape.

Just to let you know, so far I haven't played "toothpaste go" anymore. Thanks again for your insights!!