It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: MikeKyle v. TelegraphGo (Blind)
Post #21 Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:57 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 18
Universal go server handle: telegraphgo
16-3
Q3

Trigger:
If you play 17-4, R4:
Click to show

The only good block in this local position. Don't block the other way if you think your opponent will hane under at some point (he should). He invaded, I'm going to build my wall, and the large knight move looks very imposing in my mind's eye. I like it.

Post #22 Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:18 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Special diagram. :)

Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$Bc
$$ -----------------------------------------
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . O . . . . . , . . . . . O . . . |
$$ | . . . , . . . . . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . O . . . O . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . O . . . . . , . . . . . O . . . |
$$ | . . . . . O . . . . . O . O . O O . . |
$$ ----------------------------------------[/go]

In the country of the blind. . . .

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: dfan

Post #23 Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:29 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 49
Was liked: 36
KGS: MKyle
17-4
R4

I'm not sure how this trigger business works. I won't look at the hidden text in case it spoils things but if someone independent wants to help out that might be useful.

Only move at this stage. I was wondering if I should try out the keima instead of the hane and connect next but I'm going to keep to the most common variation for now.
Like I said, I'm not sure how this trigger stuff works, but I'm happy with the following sequence if it pans out that way.
If 16-5 then 16-2
Then If 15-2 then 17-2
Then if 14-2 or 15-3 then 17-6
If anyone is reading this at such a moment then please feel free to play my move for me. You may quote the appropriate part of this text.

Post #24 Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:49 pm 
Lives with ko

Trigger is just a way to abbreviate very obvious moves into a sequence to agree upon. I offer the joseki sequence B Q5, W Q2, B P2, W R2, B P3, W R6.
(In coordinates: B 16-5, W 16-2, B 15-2, W 17-2, B 15-3, W 17-6).

If you accept, open this hidden for my next move:
P7
15-7
Knight's move

My comments:
At first I wasn't sure about a slight variation possible for me in the sequence, between solid connection at P3 and loose connection at O2. I prefer P3 on this board, since O2 is more for endgame purposes and leaves aji towards the center - incorrect direction. I've sort of emphasized the center, so I should be consistent.
That's the same reason why I'm playing P7 immediately after the sequence. I could tenuki, or defend solid, but the knight's move prevents white from pushing up at Q6, which would make me uncomfortable with my large knight's move on the left. I would probably move my stone at 12-3 more towards the center of the moyo, and to the fourth line, if I could. But if I had played it there immediately, I would expect white to not have dived into my corner in the first place. So I think I ought to be good, none of my stones look horribly inefficient.

I think if I were white, I would play R7 after all the suggested moves, because the easiest way to lose an influence game is to allow your opponent to get more influence with forcing moves. Then as black I'm going to play 6-17, approaching the upper left. It feels like I'm the only player with potential, so my game should be easier to play.

Post subject:
Post #25 Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:41 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Spoiler: Diagram!
[go]$$Bc
$$ | . . . 4 . . . . . , . . . . . 1 . . . |
$$ | . . 6 . . . 7 . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . 2 . . . . . , . . . . . 3 . . . |
$$ | . . . . . 5 . . . . . 9 . 8 . . 0 . . |
:b1: 16-16 Q16, :w2: 4-4 D4, :b3: 16-4 Q4, :w4: 4-16 D16, :b5: 6-3 F3, :w6: 3-6 C6
:b7: 7-6 G6, :w8: 14-3 o3, :b9: 12-3 M3, :w10: 17-3 R3,

[go]$$Bcm11
$$ | . . . O . . . . . , . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . O . . . X . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . O . . . . . , . . . . . X 2 . . |
$$ | . . . . . X . . . . . X . O . 1 O . . |
:b11: 16-3 Q3, :w12: 14-7 R4,

Trigger: ( var: :b17: at (a) )
[go]$$Bcm11
$$ | . . O . . . X . . . . . . . . . 8 . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3 . . . |
$$ | . . . O . . . . . , . . . . . X 2 . . |
$$ | . . . . . X . . . . . X . O 7 1 O . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . a 5 4 6 . . |

Post #26 Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:00 am 
Lives with ko

Sequence accepted!

10-4
K-4

Reading is hard!
I investigated and did a thread previously about the joseki we just played out (I won't refer to it now as I'm trying to do this closed-book.) one of the things I noticed was that AI prefers the connection underneath significantly over 15-3 and likes to exploit the aji 15-3 leaves behind early on! I think the keima dealt with this and it leaves a nice move at 17-7. However it's difficult to figure out if one more move would make an intimidating centre.
The next few moves will be tough for me, hopefully they will be tough for both of us!

Post #27 Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:06 am 
Lives with ko

10-6
K6

My opening mission has been accomplished! :D

We're already starting a fight where if things go badly for him, he'll want to resign. If things go as expected, he should be able to live this group while making me strong nearby. If things go badly for me, I'll still have hope somewhere - he only has like 30 points on the board right now. One semi-normal result for example: I can get a full surround, with him living in gote in 2-5 points, and my taking 5-8 points from the whole moyo as is, such that the 3-3 invasion in the bottom left is a serious threat, then I would evaluate the board as still even. Don't forget that he can be pressed down significantly later on the right to activate any center influence that I get from this!

In terms of the precise placement of his move, I don't like it at all. Why play a fourth line stone that's one space away from the shoulder hit against a theoretically strong stone? If I invaded on the fourth line, I would start either with 11-4 (to tempt black into attacking from the stronger side) or with 8-4 [8-5 better?](aiming at the weakness of the large knight's move, and preparing to take a flexible shape with the shoulder hit later. If he absolutely must go somewhere randomly in the middle, I think the fourth line is too low, given my 6-th line stones on either side. 10-5 would still feel pretty bad for B if I submit with 9-4 or something, so it's much less awkward to respond than it has to be for me, right now.

As is, he's given me zero reason to go underneath, hasn't poked at my weaknesses on either side yet, and doesn't seem to have an efficient way to make two eyes on the bottom when I cap. If capping was somehow wrong, then I'd be supposed to play something like 8-4 here, but I don't like that shape on the left - leaving a slight shape weakness at 6-5, and not really giving myself a followup when he jumps out with some flexible shape (two space, large knight's, etc., because I think I could still cap and attack if he played one space.)

I like to give a prediction about his move, but I really can't here. Normally in this kind of shape, I think he might either try running the group with a combination of 8-4 and the attach at 9-6 next, but the large knight's move and 7-6 becomes so good there that I don't think he can bear it. Maybe he's going to try cutting my large knight's move early, something like W 6-4, B 7-4, W 7-3? I think it should be bad timing, since he just made an exchange that makes influence I get towards the bottom side more valuable. I'm pretty sure I can take advantage. If he attached 7-3 immediately for strength, then he fixes my weakness for me and I should be well off. If he goes to the right, then he's decided to run right next to my wall, and I should win by move 60. So I really have no idea what he's going to do here. Sorry!

(edited for grammar)

Last edited by TelegraphGo on Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post #28 Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:14 pm 
Lives with ko

14-2
O2

I'm not sure about this. My reading is seriously compromised since I'm trying to keep clearly in my mind which moves are actually on the board and which are candidate sequences.

I think I'd like to lean on this group with my invasion stone in order to get a bit stronger without fixing the faults in that strange thin looking thing above me. My logic (quite possibly flawed, comments welcome for after I resign) is that I should make this exchange now because I might not get the result I want later. I think he should connect on top in which case I have a nice endgame move later, but after I strengthen him he can probably cut the stones off without worry.

Will likely attach at 12-4 next.

Post #29 Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:56 pm 
Lives with ko

14-1
O1

Hane underneath.
Cutting off his two stones. If I don't, he gets a living group right where the action is. I want him to not be alive where the action is.
The question is between the descent 15-1 or the hane under 14-1.

If I descend and he attaches on top of my lone stone next, at 12-4, my instinct is hane 13-4, and then things could get scary at some point if he crosscuts 13-3. [If he doesn't crosscut, I can take 11-3 comfortably or if he takes 11-3 I can atari and he has bad shape]. I want to be able to atari 11-4 and extend up 11-5. I don't think I can, though, because he can cut and descend, leaving my stones with two liberties and I can't capture his stones fast enough. If I atari and connect he would roll over top of me and I would be a little bit sad. So, when he crosscuts I should extend my stone down with 12-2 or across with 11-3. If he then connects 11-4 and I capture his three stones with 14-4, then he can play the turn at 10-3 in sente, which makes me once again sad. That local strength from the turn makes it much easier to for him to look at cutting my large knights and otherwise doing dastardly things - it's a slightly poor result for black by my judgement.

If I had hane'd underneath, he would have one less liberty with his three stone he's crosscut with, so the turn would no longer be sente. This is magnitudes better for B, so I'd really like to hane instead of descend if it doesn't cause a tactical problem. What I'm talking about is that when I hane he can counterhane, and after I connect with the original descent he might make that exchange of 14-1 for 13-1 good for him. The simplest way to try such a thing is if he plays tigers mouth 12-2, attaching to my stone and almost connecting under. I would then be practically forced to play 11-3, but this is pretty nice, breaking his shape. This result is good for him only if he can get something good out of those four stones - so he might try to jump up at 14-5. I can then fix my shape with the forcing move at 16-6 and come back to my middle stones with a jump, something like 12-6. I think I like this result for black - it seems like he'll have to give me a lot if he wants to get out.

I have to do a blunder check for the first time this game. My plan was to keep a mental note of every shape weakness, and think about an tesuji he might have to take advantage whenever I'm a little unclear. Do I have any weaknesses that I haven't considered? I'm creating a weakness at 15-1, I have a very minor weakness on the right that I considered, and a some weaknesses with the large knight's move that I'm doing my best to help. I can't think of anything crazy he could do to make me sad just yet. So here goes! This is the first time I've ever actually played a hane underneath in this joseki.

Post #30 Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:44 pm 
Lives with ko

13-1
N1

Turns out that playing blind go against a significantly stronger player is hard! I feel like I should disclose that I looked at the empty board for quite a while on this move. That feels like minor cheating.

He called my bluff! I thought he probably needed to connect on top and now he's making me prove it.
I feel like the sequence in this situation is w13-1,b15-1,w14-5,b13-2,w13-3,b12-1,w12-4 and then I think black doesn't have time to cut at 13-4 because there's a need to fix around 11-3ish. That would give me time to make some shape with some kind of jump to the centre. However I think I must be missing something in this read

Edit: I accidentally hit send before finishing, and wrong letter coordinate. Oops

Post #31 Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:55 pm 
Lives with ko

Trigger:
B15-1 -> w14-5

Post subject:
Post #32 Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:25 pm 
Honinbo

Hi Mike,
Quote:
I feel like I should disclose that I looked at the empty board for quite a while on this move.
Quote:
3. We may not ever look at the game on a board. We may only visualize the board from moves written in text
Rule 3 was ambiguous about looking at an empty board. It's appropriate to let Telegraph know, so he can agree or disagree about looking at an empty board. Obviously, an empty board helps.

Post subject: Re:
Post #33 Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:36 pm 
Lives with ko

EdLee wrote:
Hi Mike,
Quote:
I feel like I should disclose that I looked at the empty board for quite a while on this move.
Quote:
3. We may not ever look at the game on a board. We may only visualize the board from moves written in text
Rule 3 was ambiguous about looking at an empty board. It's appropriate to let Telegraph know, so he can agree or disagree about looking at an empty board. Obviously, an empty board helps.

Good point. Thanks

I had a good look at the empty board diagram before. It felt a bit like cheating. Not sure if it's undermining the spirit of the game a little. Perhaps we should decide if that needs to be a rule?

Post #34 Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:44 pm 
Lives with ko

Trigger accepted. W hane, B connect, and after W 14-5,
I play:
16-6
Q6

Oh and I haven't been looking at the empty board, but I don't mind if you do. I'll just include a note in my comment if it gets to that point for me.

Of course he shouldn't play tiger's mouth right away, that would have been poor form. Jumping up is being rather aggressive towards my right side black group, probably not bad though.

I really wanted to abstain from making this forcing move, but it's not the end of the world. Actually, black getting sente at 12-5 is looking pretty sickening for white, so I wouldn't be surprised to see white tenuki from the right side group, even though it's obviously huge. I wonder if I should exchange the cuts if he does, so that if he ends up with the first move over there it's as if I pushed and cut and he answered on the wrong side?

Anyway, with my hane on the first line I think I'm a lot less worried about my 12-3 stone than I would have been with the descent, so I'm happy so far. I'm expecting white to play 12-4 or 17-7.

Post #35 Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:05 pm 
Lives with ko

17-7
R7

This is a simple enough exchange that I didn't foresee.
I didn't like the thought of black getting 17-7 though so I think I can be slightly pleased with a small gain on the right side. Feels like it does a tiny bit of damage to the upper right hoshi's prospects. I have lost a bit in the centre but I think I will be able to settle some stones still. Currently thinking about sacrificing the 14-3 stones more quickly

Post subject:
Post #36 Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:49 pm 
Honinbo

Spoiler: Diagram!
:b1: - :w10: :
[go]$$Bc
$$ | . . . 4 . . . . . , . . . . . 1 . . . |
$$ | . . 6 . . . 7 . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . 2 . . . . . , . . . . . 3 . . . |
$$ | . . . . . 5 . . . . . 9 . 8 . . 0 . . |
:b1: 16-16 Q16, :w2: 4-4 D4, :b3: 16-4 Q4, :w4: 4-16 D16, :b5: 6-3 F3,
:w6: 3-6 C6 :b7: 7-6 G6, :w8: 14-3 o3, :b9: 12-3 M3, :w10: 17-3 R3,
:b11: - :w20: :
[go]$$Bcm11
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 9 . . . . |
$$ | . . O . . . X . . , . . . . . . 8 . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3 . . . |
$$ | . . . O . . . . . 0 . . . . . X 2 . . |
$$ | . . . . . X . . . . . X . O 7 1 O . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5 4 6 . . |
:b11: 16-3 Q3, :w12: 14-7 R4, triggers,
:b19: 15-7 P7, :w20: 10-4 K4,

[go]$$Bcm21
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . X . 8 . . |
$$ | . . O . . . X . . 1 . . . . . 7 O . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6 . X . . . |
$$ | . . . O . . . . . O . . . . . X O . . |
$$ | . . . . . X . . . . . X . O X X O . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2 X O O . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . 4 3 5 . . . . |

:b21: 16-6 K6, :w22: 14-2 o2, :b23: 14-1 o1, :w24: 13-1 N1, :b25: 15-1 o1,
:w26: 14-5 o5, :b27: 16-6 Q6, :w28: 17-7 R7,

This post by EdLee was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #37 Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:11 pm 
Lives with ko

12-5
M5

One space jump to the center.
In a fight (actually just in general if you integrate over empty points) the most efficient move causes the biggest change in strength possible. An easy way to get close to the most efficient move is to find the weakest thing, then, and make it as strong as you can. My stone at M3 is clearly the weakest stone on the board, and white is weak nearby, so the best move is going to be making it as strong as possible. It's just a choice between shapes.
I briefly considered playing L5 to have a diagonal relationship to K6 as opposed to a knight's move. But, that would probably be focusing on the wrong weakness. M3 is important, and M5 is just so nice, splitting white in two pieces, where I'm already ahead in the race to the center, and neither can make eyes. I won't necessarily be able to kill either group, but I expect white will be struggling for quite a few moves yet. AI probably still calls the game pretty even, but if ELF doesn't say I have >80% winrate by move 50, I'll be shocked. It's just so hard for humans to assist weak groups correctly.
For the next move, I bet white will attach O7, after which I will hane O8. He's in for a rough time.

Post subject:
Post #38 Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:45 am 
Honinbo

diagram

Post #39 Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:19 am 
Lives with ko

Comments only

This isn't hard because it's blind particularly but just because my opponent is so much better than me!

I have so many weaknesses and I can't really figure any out if black has useful weaknesses.
Quickly dismissed a few moves: 13-2, 13-3, 13-4, 12-2. 13-6 also doesn't feel like it does much but add to a heavy group.
Currently considering 11-6 type things

Post #40 Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:03 am 
Lives with ko

9-6
J6

I really can't read much that looks good for me.
I was thinking of going for the silly looking ko with something like w11-3,b12-2,w11-5,b11-6, w12-4,b13-4 w13-5. But black can respond to a bunch of my ko threats which would just be pokes at the thin stuff I think and then I think he could avoid the ko actually being a problem - he would connect underneath with no eye, I would connect my stones together with no eye and I don't think trying to cut around o-7 and attack the wall would work well after that.

Time to thrash around and make my opponent stronger maybe :/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next