It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Major updates for KGS
Post #1 Posted: Wed May 27, 2020 4:34 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 14
KGS: Shimari
We finally have web-based registration for KGS. The Java client has been an ongoing problem for some computers and blocked by many schools. The KGS Home Page features a new link to sign up for a free account. Using https://shin.gokgs.com/, a web-based client developed by Justin Kramer, phones, tablets, or computers can now play on the server while avoiding Java completely.

The American Go Foundation has been steadily working on improving KGS, but mostly behind the scenes until now. “This is the first of many upgrades to KGS that the AGF wants to see happen.” says AGF President Terry Benson. “To make KGS a better go community, we could use help on the open source ShinKGS code. While so many people are stuck at their computers, go is a great way to stay busy and connected to other people.” ShinKGS is still missing some features and has a few bugs, a list of areas that need work is here, access to the code is on Github here https://github.com/jkk/shinkgs. GoUniverse https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/gouniverse/iejedhnbogbenkmhfjoolmlibldbkhhj?hl=en, a plugin for the Chrome Web Browser developed by Ilya Kirillov, is another way to access KGS without Java, and has almost all of the features in the full client. GoUniverse is also open source, and can be accessed on Github here https://github.com/IlyaKirillov/GoUniverse

KGS has seen a boom in users with everyone staying home due to Covid-19, and many clubs now meet virtually on the site. The AGF hopes to expand that user base by improving services and growing the community. “Many thanks to lead KGS developer Lee Schumacher for his tireless work on behalf of the server. Our thanks also to Oren Laskin, on the development team, and to all the admins who work daily to keep KGS a safe and friendly space for all,” adds Benson.

A recent update to ShinKGS also allows people to launch games in any rooms now, instead of just the English Game Room.

Post subject: Re: Major updates for KGS
Post #2 Posted: Wed May 27, 2020 7:02 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 37
shimari65 wrote:
A recent update to ShinKGS

There seems an unintended regression as well: it doesn't show chat anymore when playing, except history after F5/refresh.

Post #3 Posted: Wed May 27, 2020 7:25 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 14
KGS: Shimari
jann wrote:
shimari65 wrote:
A recent update to ShinKGS

There seems an unintended regression as well: it doesn't show chat anymore when playing, except history after F5/refresh.

I have never known that to work, did it do so previously? We made a list of problems about a year ago, and that was one of them. An important one to fix, hopefully soon.

Post #4 Posted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:09 pm 
Lives in gote

Yes, used to work until recently (the basic in-game chat - painful loss cause some opponents leave immediately if greetings not returned).

Post #5 Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:34 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 17
The chat is up and running now (as of 14 Aug 2020). Thank you for the hard work.

Post #6 Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:29 am 
Lives in gote

It still doesn't work for me (chrome on win10). If I start a game and type "hi", the message is not shown on my screen (but not lost).

The workaround is to click on the "chat" tab on top, then back to the "play" tab, this refreshes the message list (but needs to be done again and again for later messages).

Post #7 Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:36 am 
Beginner

Was liked: 0
Universal go server handle: Ectopod
jann wrote:
It still doesn't work for me (chrome on win10). If I start a game and type "hi", the message is not shown on my screen (but not lost).

The workaround is to click on the "chat" tab on top, then back to the "play" tab, this refreshes the message list (but needs to be done again and again for later messages).

I had to clear the page cache in my browser to get the chat fix. Not sure why I had to do this, it theoretically shouldn't be necessary. It will probably naturally fall out of cache at some point, too.