All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hi
Post #1 Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:58 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
OGS: Call-cc
Hello everybody!
I'd played go in the past and to be honest I didn't get very far because I'm not exaxtly a bright person. But very often I remember it, it has some sort of philosophical appeal to me.
I can consider myself a beginner, even though I've played a number of games.
I want to try something out, maybe I'll outline it better in the study section, but basically I want to have a correspondence game where we can also discuss alternative moves and branches, so we can study the effects of our moves.
Hope someone is interested in something like that!
:salute:

This post by Slartibartflast was liked by: Ferran

Post subject:
Post #2 Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:15 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Welcome :)

Post subject: Re: Hi
Post #3 Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:42 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 491
Hi,

you don't need to be very bright to reach a decent level but you need time, effort and motivation.

You can play correpondence games on OGS, you might want to create a challenge and explain your goal in the description of the challenge. Or you might be interested in a Malkovich game.

Post #4 Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:48 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 74
Was liked: 100
Hello!

You have a very good user name. In a random Hitchhiker's related anecdote,

42=-80,538,738,812,075,974^3+80,435,758,145,817,515^3+12,602,123,297,335,631^3

It wasn't known until 2019 that 42 could be expressed as the sum of three integer cubes.

Post subject:
Post #5 Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:51 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
42 = (-80,538,738,812,075,974)3 + (80,435,758,145,817,515)3 + (12,602,123,297,335,631)3

Post #6 Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:17 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 542
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
Slartibartflast wrote:
Hello everybody!
I'd played go in the past and to be honest I didn't get very far because I'm not exaxtly a bright person. But very often I remember it, it has some sort of philosophical appeal to me.
I can consider myself a beginner, even though I've played a number of games.
I want to try something out, maybe I'll outline it better in the study section, but basically I want to have a correspondence game where we can also discuss alternative moves and branches, so we can study the effects of our moves.
Hope someone is interested in something like that!
:salute:

What you are asking about is normal behavior when players review the game after it ends. I doubt that using usual playing settings would work since you would not be able to revert to a previous position if you had been experimenting. However, using the review setting on KGS, and maybe other servers, would allow you effectively to play just as you would off line, each player making one move at a time and would allow you to go back to some prior position if you had been trying out something just to see what would happen. The only difficulty might be in remembering the position when the experiment started but I suppose you could take a photo of the board position when the experiment starts and the use it to revert. Talking about the position could take place in the chat window.

Post subject: Re:
Post #7 Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:43 pm 
Beginner

Was liked: 1
OGS: Call-cc
EdLee wrote:
Welcome :)

Thank you:)

jlt wrote:
Hi,

you don't need to be very bright to reach a decent level but you need time, effort and motivation.

You can play correpondence games on OGS, you might want to create a challenge and explain your goal in the description of the challenge. Or you might be interested in a Malkovich game.

Malkovich games seem to be almost exactly what I am looking for. I'll be reading the existing games and maybe register for one of my own! Thank you.

drmwc wrote:
Hello!

You have a very good user name. In a random Hitchhiker's related anecdote,

42=-80,538,738,812,075,974^3+80,435,758,145,817,515^3+12,602,123,297,335,631^3

It wasn't known until 2019 that 42 could be expressed as the sum of three integer cubes.

Cool! Nothing like a piece of number theory to keep the guide alive!
Are we getting closer to finding the Question?

gowan wrote:
What you are asking about is normal behavior when players review the game after it ends. I doubt that using usual playing settings would work since you would not be able to revert to a previous position if you had been experimenting. However, using the review setting on KGS, and maybe other servers, would allow you effectively to play just as you would off line, each player making one move at a time and would allow you to go back to some prior position if you had been trying out something just to see what would happen. The only difficulty might be in remembering the position when the experiment started but I suppose you could take a photo of the board position when the experiment starts and the use it to revert. Talking about the position could take place in the chat window.

I was thinking of something like playing over email exchanging sgf files. I could add a few branches for variations commented with my thought process for the other to comment on these, and so on. While also committing to a 'main' branch.
Actually OGS has this feature, you can start a branch and discuss it with the other player live on the game, and get back to the main game.

Thank you for the warm reception!

Post #8 Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:43 am 
Beginner

Was liked: 0
GD Posts: 673
Welcome to the forum :D