Post subject: Xie Yimin Promoted to 7d!
Post #1 Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:48 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 4
GD Posts: 26
IGS: MoxElliot
OGS: MoxElliot
Next to Cho Chikun, she is my favorite professional. I saw she was promoted the other day and thought I'd start a discussion. She was dominant in the woman's tournaments a few years ago. Does anyone think she can reclaim a title (or two)?

"For we are like tree trunks in the snow. In appearance they lie smoothly and a little push should be enough to set them rolling. No, it can't be done, for they are firmly wedded to the ground. But see, even that is only appearance." Kafka

Post subject: Re: Xie Yimin Promoted to 7d!
Post #2 Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:39 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 109
Was liked: 138
Universal go server handle: CDavis7M
MoxElliot wrote:
Next to Cho Chikun, she is my favorite professional. I saw she was promoted the other day and thought I'd start a discussion. She was dominant in the woman's tournaments a few years ago. Does anyone think she can reclaim a title (or two)?

Very cool. I see Xie Yimin mentioned in "The Power Report" and I've seen her face in Go World. I believe she is playing in the Sin Ryusei Sen tournament from IgoShogi, isn't she? That's here in the corner, huh? This advertisement reminds me of The Breakfast Club! :D

But I don't know much about her. Which games of hers are your favorite?

By the way, I feel bad for Iyama taking all those titles but no one bothers discussing him on here anymore it seems. Better luck to Xie.

Post #3 Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:08 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
Both Xie Yimin and Kobayashi Izumi were promote to 7-dan on making the requisite number of wins (120), rather than on winning titles. But both have a plus score this year, and Xie's is especially good (20-10). But the younger fry appear to have a lock on the titles, although Xie still leads on number of official titles won, at 27.

We are seeing the same thing in the amateur ranks. The newest Amateur Meijin (Kitashiba Masashi) is just 18, and the runner-up was 19. How long before go rules have to incorporate regulations for nappy-changing timeouts, including checks for hidden Katapoo?

Post #4 Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:42 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 154
Was liked: 117
KGS: Ferran
IGS: Ferran
OGS: Ferran
MoxElliot wrote:
Next to Cho Chikun, she is my favorite professional. (...) Does anyone think she can reclaim a title (or two)?

Ask them to compare notes. Cho Chikun's revival was a story for the ages.

J. Fairbairn wrote:
How long before go rules have to incorporate regulations for nappy-changing timeouts, including checks for hidden Katapoo?

Poor sniffers...

I suspect the guys reared in the Godokoro would have said the same with, since he's already been mentioned, Cho Chikun's record.
The current generation has been reared between Hikaru (so, the talent pool was bigger than usual) and Alpha and servers. They've had chances to train no one had ever had, at the age they can dedicate the most time.

I think it's good that they can attract new fans. And we have our idols. Maybe they can't win as much as they did. They're still great players. I'd prefer to have more games with them, but...

Take care

This post by Ferran was liked by 2 people: emeraldemon, Galation

Post #5 Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:33 pm 
Dies in gote

Seems like her good results recently just haven't translated into title wins. As mentioned above, maybe like Cho Chikun she can have a second wave in her career. There are some good NHK Tournament videos on YouTube with her playing. Here is a good one against Hane Naoki.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MObfCxOYOTQ&t=4728s

It shows her fighting spirit, and I love the opening she uses.

"For we are like tree trunks in the snow. In appearance they lie smoothly and a little push should be enough to set them rolling. No, it can't be done, for they are firmly wedded to the ground. But see, even that is only appearance." Kafka

Post #6 Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:01 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 27
Was liked: 142
KGS: pajaro
IGS: pajaro
Her good results just took her to the last prelim of the Meijin. And, BTW, this is true for Cho Chikun too.

A deciding game to enter the league? Xie vs. Cho?

:o

Post #7 Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:14 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 22
Was liked: 168
IGS: kvasir
pajaro wrote:

Last year the last preliminary tournament consisted of three separate single elimination brackets with 8 players each. That means three more wins to enter the league, so close but still a huge obstacle for both Cho and Xie.

Post #8 Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:01 am 
Dies in gote

Looks like Cho Chikun won on 9/2 and Xie Yimin lost http://njk.nihonkiin.or.jp/UI/01INFO/news.php

Does anyone know where to get the game records?

Post #9 Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:22 am 
Lives in gote

MoxElliot wrote:
Looks like Cho Chikun won on 9/2 [...]

Sort of...

Take care

PS: it's apparently on Tencent, but my Aq keeps crashing when I try to get it. I suppose in some days it'll be available through the usual channels.

Post #10 Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:26 pm 
Lives in sente

MoxElliot wrote:
Looks like Cho Chikun won on 9/2 and Xie Yimin lost http://njk.nihonkiin.or.jp/UI/01INFO/news.php

I do know where to get the records but we have to wait until June 2022 when the 2022 Yearbook comes out (with games from 2021). Besides the yearbook, if you click around the link below, you can sometimes find links to videos or the Nihon Kiins own SGF player. But game records seem to not ever be available for qualifying rounds lower than the final round to determine the challenger. And usually there are no qualifying game reports given at all. In this case, there is a video of Cho Chikun's qualifying match from last month https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NGNNZPg_yk. Nothing for his most recent win.

Also, did Xie Yimin lose? I'm just using computer translation but doesn't the top of the page says that the triangle is first (black?) and the left is the winner. Also, there are tournament-by-tournament reports and it seems like Xie won vs Hirata Tomoya.

https://www-nihonkiin-or-jp.translate.g ... =ajax,elem

----------

My understanding is that the Nihon Kiin holds legal rights to the game records but that individual players are allowed to share their own records in some circumstances (like a study group) but I don't know any details. I don't believe that the members of the Nihon Kiin are allowed to present the games of others without some business arrangement. And while the Nihon Kiin keeps their own records of the games these definitely not normally shared. Qualifying matches are just lost to us.

Post #11 Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:27 pm 
Lives in gote

MoxElliot wrote:

No, she won.

I know that to win the last prelim you have to win 3 games, as it's a knock-out tournament of 8 players for each seat. But I was talking about the chance of Xie vs. Cho in the last game of a group. First, they have to be in the same group, in the right places, and win their first 2 games. Still a long way to go.

Post #12 Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:23 pm 
Dies in gote

CDavis7M wrote:

Also, did Xie Yimin lose? I'm just using computer translation but doesn't the top of the page says that the triangle is first (black?) and the left is the winner. Also, there are tournament-by-tournament reports and it seems like Xie won vs Hirata Tomoya.

https://www-nihonkiin-or-jp.translate.g ... =ajax,elem

Oh cool! I've been reading that page wrong (thought the triangle next to the name indicated the winner), I'm glad they both won!

Post #13 Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:34 am 
Lives in gote

John Fairbairn wrote:
But the younger fry appear to have a lock on the titles,
(...) How long before go rules have to incorporate regulations for nappy-changing timeouts, including checks for hidden Katapoo?

I found a nice quote for that...

"One cannot win the Meijin in his 20s" --Sakata Eio

That and 640Kb will get you a cup of coffee.

Take care.

Post #14 Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:06 am 
Lives in gote

Regarding SGFs...

Cho Chikun's game is available on Go4Go. I don't know if Xie Yimin's was also in the Meijin; that's not up yet, but I don't think it'll take too much. You need to be registered, but that's about it.

Take care.

Post #15 Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:19 am 
Lives in gote

pajaro wrote:
MoxElliot wrote:

I was talking about the chance of Xie vs. Cho in the last game of a group. First, they have to be in the same group, in the right places, and win their first 2 games. Still a long way to go.

Not gonna happen.

They are in the same group. But they are going to play the first game.

At least, one of them will be only 2 games away from the league.

Post #16 Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:30 am 
Dies in gote

Looks like Xie Yimin lost yesterday in the Kesei C league. Does anyone know how many they can lose and still continue?

Post #17 Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:48 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 22
Was liked: 168
IGS: kvasir
MoxElliot wrote:
Looks like Xie Yimin lost yesterday in the Kesei C league. Does anyone know how many they can lose and still continue?

Judging from https://gotoeveryone.k2ss.info/news/jp/kisei/46/ and similar brackets from previous years it looks like a 5 round Monrad but with players simply being kicked out when they have 3 losses, and it looks like if you get 2 wins you stay on until next years.

It looks like a much more sensible qualifying tournament format than the single-elimination that appears to be used 99% of the time by pros.

Post #18 Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:09 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 167
Was liked: 44
kvasir wrote:
Judging from https://gotoeveryone.k2ss.info/news/jp/kisei/46/ and similar brackets from previous years it looks like a 5 round Monrad but with players simply being kicked out when they have 3 losses, and it looks like if you get 2 wins you stay on until next years.

Correct, you stay in the league until you lose 3 times. Once you lose 3 times you get demoted (DM on the gotoeveryone page) and you go back to qualifying next year. But if you do well (say 2 wins and 3 losses) you have to win only one game to get back to the C league. The more wins you have the fewer games you have to win next year to get back into the C league.

Those with 3 wins 2 losses stay in C league for next year.
Those with 4-1 get promoted to the B league (marked with PM on the gotoeveryone page).
The 5-0 winner gets promoted to B league and also goes to the playoff for the title.

Post #19 Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:19 am 
Lives in gote

pajaro wrote:

October 7th

Take care

Post #20 Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:02 pm 
Lives in sente

This match has begun. Enjoy.