It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: European in Hall of Fame candidates
Post #1 Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:38 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
The next induction to the Nihon Ki-in Hall of Fame is due in later November, but seven candidates have been announced, and one of them is a European: Felix Dueball. The others include Nakamura Doseki, Takagawa Kaku and Karigane Junichi, who have all been nominated before, but another notable addition apart from Dueball is Kawabata Yasunari.

Michael Redmond is a new addition to the nominations committee, and so perhaps we may expect further consideration of western figures in future.

Dr Dueball (1880-1970) was a mathematician and physicist in Germany. He is considered as probably the most significant pioneer of go in Europea, also boosting the profile of European go in Japan thanks to his visits to Japan.

He first visited Japan in May 1930 to study go there for just over a year. He is thus regarded as the first westerner to be a foreign go student in Japan. Shortly after his arrival, he played a teaching game with Honinbo Shusai on 8 stones. By January 1931 he was able to play Suzuki Tamejiro on 5 stones. When he left, he was given a 1-dan diploma and had a farewell reception hosted by the Mayor of Tokyo and attended by the likes of Baron Okura and Go Seigen. His second visit to Japan was to be a guest of honour at the first International Tournament in 1963. He also played the future prime minister Hatoyama Ichiro in the first international telegraph game in 1936. He was a recipient of one of the first Okura Prizes in 1964. In short, a worthy candidate.

His son Fritz won the European championship in its first three terms (1957-59). There is a good go book about the father in German, by Günter Ciessow, and also a wealth of articles in old Japanese magazines.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by 2 people: gowan, tundra

Post subject: Re: European in Hall of Fame candidates
Post #2 Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:16 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
There is a picture of Felix and Fritz here.
https://www.chesshistory.com/winter/winter189.html
The old woman sitting in the corner is not identified.

This post by Javaness2 was liked by: tundra

Post #3 Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:46 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 64
Was liked: 2
GD Posts: 10
The woman in the picture is Hertha Dueball, Felix Dueball second wife. She probably wasn't that old. He married her after the death of his first wife Käthe Holz in 1925. Dueball was 45 years old at that moment and probably his new wife was younger.

This post by Theo van Ees was liked by: tundra

Post #4 Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:32 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
I am urgently seeking information about Felix Dueball. I come from the town where he was born. Today he is a completely unknown man there and I would like to prepare a lecture about him for the locals. I know that there is a biography of him by Mr Ciessow, but Mr Ciessow does not answer emails. Perhaps someone of you has this biography and could make it available to me, even for a fee. It is a matter of great importance to me.