Post #1 Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:22 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 154
Was liked: 117
KGS: Ferran
IGS: Ferran
OGS: Ferran
Guys,

I was trying to print a couple of books from GoBooks (the new version of Handicap games and the Early Honinbo). For some reason, the stones won't show. Does anyone know if there's a specific package for those?

Oh... using Linux, BTW.

Thanks. Take care.

Post subject: Re: Printing ePub, no stones
Post #2 Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:32 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 109
Was liked: 138
Universal go server handle: CDavis7M
I am not using Linux but I have used an easy trick to print games for study that will work for Linux. The trick is to copy the epub (as a backup) and then change the file type from .epub to .zip. Now you can extract it to get META-INF and OPS directories. OPS has the html files (xhtml in my case). I just dragged the xhtml I wanted into Chrome and it loaded fine. Then I could print from Chrome to PDF (I use software called CutePDF on Windows but I remember that Linux usually has pdf libraries built in, at least on Ubuntu).

My issue from here is that the PDF printed from the xhtml was a bit glitchy in that if I tried to edit the text using Adobe then it would cause deletions in other portions of the text or cause it to go wonky. I vaguely remember that the pdf text could not be copied either.

Anyway, I like to print it out in booklet format and stitch it together. Maybe up to 60 pages (in booklet format) can work but after that it gets too thick and you need to make signatures. Staples also work.

Post #3 Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:40 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 154
Was liked: 117
KGS: Ferran
IGS: Ferran
OGS: Ferran
CDavis7M wrote:
I am not using Linux but I have used an easy trick to print games for study that will work for Linux. The trick is to copy the epub (as a backup) and then change the file type from .epub to .zip.

I'm using calibre + ebook-viewer. Together, they print rather nicely... except. I'm guessing there's something in some sgf add-on, but...

WRT the zip files... I know, but you gave me an idea. We'll see if I can make it work. At the very least, I'll learn something about the games.

Quote:
Anyway, I like to print it out in booklet format and stitch it together. Maybe up to 60 pages (in booklet format) can work but after that it gets too thick and you need to make signatures. Staples also work

You're a tiny, short, step away from doing a full blown Japanese cover.

Take care.

Post #4 Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:54 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 109
Was liked: 138
Universal go server handle: CDavis7M
Ferran wrote:
You're a tiny, short, step away from doing a full blown Japanese cover.

:lol: I've seen the Japanese style of binding on older books and thought about doing it myself, but my impression is that it might not lay flat very well. Maybe a certain type of paper is needed.