All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: GoPanda client
Post #41 Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:33 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 11
GD Posts: 14
Nagilum wrote:
Auto-Match: I am using three stones as the upper and lower bound. GoPanda doesn't save this choice.

You mean it's annoying having to enter the same number twice? I thought more flexibility is better, and once we redo the settings system, your default choices will be stored anyways.

I noted down your other requests - thanks for helping :)

Post #42 Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:37 am 
Dies in gote

New feature: Continue adjourned games from a chooser in the main window. Once we redo the player list handling, the chooser will only show the opponents that are currently online - but I can't offer this for now.

Post #43 Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:18 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
The "error saving file" was my mistake. Go Panda was trying to save to a non-existing folder.

Post #44 Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:21 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 26
KGS: Nagilum
Some additional notes:

I have just observed a game on IGS, when i heard the chat/game request-sound. But i saw no window. In the shell window however, i could see the request.

When the opponent has resigned the game, i have to confirm the message. At least in the previous version i could not play a new game when i havent confirm the resign-messagebox from the previous game. ( sometimes i have received an autorequest just i have finished tha game.)

I am using Windows 7 by the way. When i hover over the taskbar i see little preview pictures. Sometimes i the game window preview also the resign messagebox, but i am not able to find the box. So i am not sure if the messagebox was not visible or if the preview pictures were not updated.

When a game ends and i am beginning to type "Thank you for the game" or something else in the textbox of the game window the client sometimes ? ( At the moment i'm not sure if this occurs everytime) switches back to the seperate chat window. It think that is a little bit confusing.

Sometimes it think that it tooks a long time to find an opponent via automatch. When i cancel the request und create a new one i often get a match at once.
But perhaps it would be good to hear other experiences regarding this point.

Post #45 Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:51 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Hi ahamay, one very annoying bug about gGo and gIgo is we need to keep pressing the "Refresh" buttons to get the current up-to-date tables of games and players.
In contrast, CGoban updates automatically and continually in real-time. Could you fix this for IGS, too, or are you limited by a bad server-client protocol?

Another related bug is even the "Refresh" buttons in gGo and gIgo don't always work --
often a player is listed as "available" but when I try to match him,
it says he's already in a game (even though if I "Refresh" again, the table again still shows him as available.)

Unrelated: do you know why everyone on IGS shows "Registered on Mon Jan 1, 00:00:00 1900" ? :evil:

Post #46 Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:28 am 
Oza

This error popped up immediately after an automatch game started:

Java: 1.6.0_23
JVM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM 19.0-b09
============================
java.lang.RuntimeException: stored game count is 2 but should be 1
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0 (:-2)
sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance (:-1)
sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance (:-1)
java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance (:-1)
clojure.lang.Reflector.invokeConstructor (Reflector.java:160)
ggo.util$error.doInvoke (util.clj:33)
clojure.lang.RestFn.invoke (RestFn.java:458)
ggo.igs.parser.igs_parser/fn (igs_parser.clj:71)
ggo.igs.parser.igs_parser$rec_parse.invoke (igs_parser.clj:42)
ggo.igs.parser.igs_parser$parse_command.invoke (igs_parser.clj:47)
ggo.igs.parser.IGSParser.parseCommand (:-1)
ggo.igs.IGSReader.doParse (:-1)
ggo.igs.IGSReader.read (:-1)
ggo.igs.IGSInput.run (:-1)

The game opened with me as white, but I saw no moves that my opponent made.

I tried sending this per email to "developer(at)pandanet-igs.com" as per error message, but the message was returned to sender.

Post #47 Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:26 am 
Dies in gote

Sorry 'bout the problems with the email address - it's working again now.
We'll try to fix the other issues ASAP.

Cheers,
Benjamin

Post #48 Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:15 am 
Dies with sente

Was liked: 37
KGS: tealeaf
IGS: tealeaf
Wbaduk: tealeaf
DGS: joss
OGS: tealeaf
Universal go server handle: tealeaf
I just found this, having emailed the author of gGo about a bug. It's fantastic to see development of this great client.

The problem I had with gGo, and which I'm still seeing with GoPanda, is that it seems to open windows only on the first of my workspaces. I'm running Openbox under Gentoo. I have no idea why this problem might occur, and I've never seen it with anything other than gGo and GoPanda.

If this could be fixed, it would be amazing. Apart from that, I'm very happy to see this line of development.

EDIT: The first-workspace bug does seem to be wider than GoPanda, and occurs with other java applications, so it's my problem and not the GoPanda's! :)

Post #49 Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:19 am 
Dies with sente

Was liked: 37
KGS: tealeaf
IGS: tealeaf
Wbaduk: tealeaf
DGS: joss
OGS: tealeaf
Universal go server handle: tealeaf
As an aside, and maybe I've missed this, but is there any background information about this? How did this new development come about? Are there any plans (*coughopensourcecough*) that we should know about? A project homepage?

Any snippets would be received with great interest. :)

EDIT: I found the homepage: http://pandanet-igs.com/communities/gopanda

Post #50 Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:53 pm 
Beginner

Was liked: 0
Is there any interest among the developers of the new 'GoPanda' (I still think of it was gGo) in a better board graphic? The image used in glGo was better, even the default board for qgo was better. I wonder if the resolution is just too low since playing on a large monitor at high resolution the board looks terribly pixelated. Were the stones in glGo also higher quality... the board looks bad enough I guess I don't notice the stones as much?

Ideally perhaps someday we could get an option for a custom board image. It seems like this would be an easy feature to implement.

Post #51 Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:25 am 
Beginner

Is it firewall friendly? i cant play at kgs since they installed the firewall here, is it the same with this client?
i can play at flyordie cause they have a feature to connect over http and also at goshrine.com.

Post #52 Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:46 am 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
agostino wrote:
Is it firewall friendly? i cant play at kgs since they installed the firewall here, is it the same with this client?
i can play at flyordie cause they have a feature to connect over http and also at goshrine.com.

Likely not. It will depend on what ports are blocked but I'm guessing if kgs is blocked, igs will be as well.

Post #53 Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:58 pm 
Beginner

Another nice discovery: when you have double digit captures apparently PandaGo can't show you how many you have since the box doesn't expand at all, even when the window is more than wide enough.

Honestly, is anybody maintaining this code at all, or is IGS trying to will itself out of existence? At this point in time, if you're running OS X or Linux there are almost no usable clients (Windows may not be much better but I can't speak to that) since glGo doesn't work on Lion since they dropped legacy support, and there is no 64 bit version for linux. (If anyone who has the source could just recompile the darn thing matters would be much better).

Ok, sorry for sounding frustrated, but I love IGS and at least for Mac & Linux IGS is seriously becoming almost unusable.

Attachments:
board.jpg
board.jpg [ 342.84 KiB | Viewed 10570 times ]

Post #54 Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:19 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 2
KGS: mayweed
azazil wrote:
Another nice discovery: when you have double digit captures apparently PandaGo can't show you how many you have since the box doesn't expand at all, even when the window is more than wide enough.

Honestly, is anybody maintaining this code at all, or is IGS trying to will itself out of existence? At this point in time, if you're running OS X or Linux there are almost no usable clients (Windows may not be much better but I can't speak to that) since glGo doesn't work on Lion since they dropped legacy support, and there is no 64 bit version for linux. (If anyone who has the source could just recompile the darn thing matters would be much better).

Ok, sorry for sounding frustrated, but I love IGS and at least for Mac & Linux IGS is seriously becoming almost unusable.

I totally agreed with that point of view. It's really very very difficult to play on IGS under Linux with such a bad interface. To mitigate such a problem, I used to play on Qgo2 which is slightly better (you can expand the board a little bit w/o the problem you're pointed with boxes...).

In a general manner I think there is a lack of really good a client to play on IGS on Windows and Linux. Personnally I switch to Tetsuki on Iphone. And now I only play on IGS under iOS, and no more at all on my computers... :roll:

As far as MacOSX is concerned, I think that Sente might do the job quite well: http://www.sente.ch/software/goban/

Post #55 Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:33 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
telnet still works

Post #56 Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:22 am 
Beginner

mayweed wrote:
azazil wrote:

I totally agreed with that point of view. It's really very very difficult to play on IGS under Linux with such a bad interface. To mitigate such a problem, I used to play on Qgo2 which is slightly better (you can expand the board a little bit w/o the problem you're pointed with boxes...).

In a general manner I think there is a lack of really good a client to play on IGS on Windows and Linux. Personnally I switch to Tetsuki on Iphone. And now I only play on IGS under iOS, and no more at all on my computers... :roll:

As far as MacOSX is concerned, I think that Sente might do the job quite well: http://www.sente.ch/software/goban/

Sente predates seek being added to igs, or at least was never updated to include seek from what I can see, which makes it pretty worthless. More fundamentally, it hasn't been maintained since 2007, which is a bit of a problem.

And no, telnet does not work even if it works.

Post #57 Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:01 pm 
Oza

After reading Vesa's post about the European Team Championships, I decided to watch a few games, but strangely, not all of the games that are being played appear on the GoPanda client. For example, the game that Benjamin himself is playing at the moment is not visible, but it shows up when I use the PandaGLGo client... Strange.