It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Intransparent moderation
Post #21 Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:19 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 137
Was liked: 155
Policy discussions like this would greatly benefit if people could resist the urge to use them to express their gratitude, trust and loyalty to the platform and its admins. Turning policy discussions into a loyalty contest gives them a very unhealthy spin. When open criticism on how things are done is (and can be) published on the platform itself that is the biggest show of trust already.

This post by tapir was liked by 4 people: Aeneas, ez4u, lemmata, topazg

Post #22 Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:36 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 505
KGS: magicwand
Tygem: magicwand
Wbaduk: rlatkfkd
DGS: magicwand
OGS: magicwand
i have been here for few years and i dont see mods or admins abusing their power.
they are generally fair on their decisions and i dont see any problems with their policy.
they give their valuable time to keep this place in order and they are doing above average job. :clap:

if i happens to disagree with their policy then i will write them my issues and if that doesnt get fixed..i will leave.
it is that simple.

PS: i dont know what happened recently but it would be nice to keep such info public since we are all one family.

Words by neil peart, music by geddy lee and alex lifeson

This post by Magicwand was liked by: topazg

Post #23 Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:42 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
It's worth recognizing that most of the rules of this community come down to "what will people report" and "what is the judgment of the individual moderator looking at a thread today?" What counts as an interesting theoretical discussion (what I say...) vs. thread derailment (...the things you people do)? Or overtly political posts? When does posting about a go related book or service count as advertising?

I don't mean that it's a bad thing, but the application of the rules we've set for ourselves requires a lot of individual judgment. The only way to avoid that would be to have no rules at all.

This post by hyperpape was liked by: topazg

Post #24 Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:24 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
hyperpape wrote:
When does posting about a go related book or service count as advertising?

For myself, if it is in the announcement section with it's own thread, a go related advertisement would be kosher.
If it's an advertisement on someone else's thread and the post smells like spam, then most likely someone should report it for handling if an admin or mod hasn't noticed it.
If there are reports from members on posts regarding inappropriate advertisement, then that's probably a judgement call for mods and admins whether it should be acted upon.
When someone posts a go related book or service which has relevance to the discussion on a thread, that's probably ok in most cases.

Post #25 Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:02 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 199
Was liked: 76
Alguien wrote:
A decision that follows the set rules can't be grounds of rethinking the rules.

I couldn't disagree more. Applying a rule in a situation where that leads to a clearly perverse outcome, is an excellent reason to rethink that rule.

This post by TheBigH was liked by: axd

Post #26 Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:21 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 15
Since Jordus abstained from any ownership influence when L19 was founded, this forum is run by the community.
This makes L19 very special and one can't compare it with privately owned forums.
The officials can't claim to represent the will of a "divine" owner, rather they represent the will of the majority of the active community.
L19 is a representative democracy with the advantages and disadvantages of this form of government.

To make the decisive actions made by the officials public, is is no way the same as having every decision open for debate.
The admins decisions would still stand, but the community would be provided with a feedback that I believe is necessary if we want L19 to continue to be an open community run forum.

Joaz says that he wants to handle things privately. If that meant silent diplomacy and ongoing communication I would be all for it...

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

This post by Insane was liked by 3 people: Phelan, topazg, xed_over

Post #27 Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:31 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
tapir wrote:
Policy discussions like this would greatly benefit if people could resist the urge to use them to express their gratitude, trust and loyalty to the platform and its admins. Turning policy discussions into a loyalty contest gives them a very unhealthy spin. ...

As noted in the TOS, if you are unhappy with another member's post, you should contact an admin. We're here to help.

Post #28 Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:22 pm 
Judan

Insane wrote:
Since Jordus abstained from any ownership influence when L19 was founded,..

This is not even close to being true. Jordus merely abstains from daily influence. But everything that happens here happens the way he wants it. And when things don't happen as he wants, he steps it and commands that things be changed. When that happens, we admins/mods do exactly as he says or we offer our resignation.

You might not see him. You aren't privy to the commands. But don't let that lead you into false assumptions. It still it private propery and Jordus still owns it. And he is the final arbiter.

Post #29 Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:11 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
This is not even close to being true. Jordus merely abstains from daily influence. But everything that happens here happens the way he wants it. And when things don't happen as he wants, he steps it and commands that things be changed. When that happens, we admins/mods do exactly as he says or we offer our resignation.

You might not see him. You aren't privy to the commands. But don't let that lead you into false assumptions. It still it private propery and Jordus still owns it. And he is the final arbiter.

This is crazy making. When L19 was being created, the refrain was "community, community, community."

Maybe there's some kind of point when everything changed, and we said "Jordus does whatever the heck he wants to, when he wants to", but I can't find anything hinting at that in the early discussions.

I get that legally, Lifein19x19.com is a domain name that is registered by Jordus, as an individual, that requests go to a server (or shared hosting) for which Jordus is the customer of some hosting company. Legally, these are the only things that give anyone (namely Jordus) any rights. My point is about how we view this forum in a nonlegal sense.

Let me be clear: I have few if any points that I would like to complain about concerning the administration of this forum, and can't remember any time I have had any complaint with Jordus in particular. This is not a vote of no confidence. But I do want to know how things work.

This post by hyperpape was liked by 11 people: Aeneas, axd, Bantari, Bonobo, daal, ez4u, Insane, Phelan, tapir, topazg, xed_over

Post #30 Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:52 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 141
Was liked: 123
Universal go server handle: speedchase
I think now would be a reasonable time to point out that although Jordus legally owns L19, it is paid for by the community. I would argue that this does give him some responsibility to respect the wishes of the users.

That being said, the current system is pretty good, generally speaking

This post by speedchase was liked by: Bonobo

Post #31 Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:02 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
If this thread isn't going to die any time soon, can a mod please change it to opaque moderation? It's like a splinter in my eye.

This post by jts was liked by 8 people: Alguien, axd, Boidhre, Bonobo, imabuddha, Inkwolf, shapenaji, topazg

Post #32 Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:24 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 15
Two quotes by Jordus.

1. The goal of this site is to be "by the community, for the community".

2. Yes I am prepared to give ownership to the community.

This post by Insane was liked by 3 people: Bonobo, daal, topazg

Post #33 Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:37 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
Alguien wrote:
Bantari wrote:
I think it is generally a good idea to let the community have input into how a forum is run. Even if this input gets ignored for whatever reason.

I disagree.

Rules should be tried for a while and then set. Once they are set, It can be interesting to have a suggestion box, but that's all. A decision that follows the set rules can't be grounds of rethinking the rules.

Some rules pass the test of time, some do not.
Also - times change and so the rules might need to change.

Without any way from the user to have an input, the few overworked admins might not even notice... until people move to a new forum.

Alguien wrote:
Essentially, I don't care about the decision and I'd just rather keep the forum as it is today, and was when we decided to stay in this forum instead of another.

The rules can't be reset every time a very vocal minority starts crying about freedom of speech (as in every other forum). I don't want to have to be involved in every angsty teenager river of tears just to protect a stable and well running forum.

Does what you say above only apply to the change suggestions you personally dislike, or to all change suggestions?

This post by Bantari was liked by: ez4u

Post #34 Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:23 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
If you change the rules to something like moderators must monitor the forum 24/7, I would highly disagree with that no matter how many people voted yes for it.

This post by tchan001 was liked by: axd

Post #35 Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:22 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 181
tchan001 wrote:
If you change the rules to something like moderators must monitor the forum 24/7, I would highly disagree with that no matter how many people voted yes for it.

More to the point, such a vote would be meaningless in the absence of moderators willing to do it. Voluntary organizations are always subject to "anarchist" vs "democratic" considerations since nobody can be forced to do anything.

This post by Mike Novack was liked by 2 people: axd, Phelan

Post #36 Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:27 pm 
Site Admin

Liked others: 18
Was liked: 121
Universal go server handle: Jordus
Hello L19,

First off, I would like to apologize for my extended absence from the forums. I went through a few life changes from finishing to school to moving to a different state and currently having no reliable source of internet. As my situation improves I hope to see you all much more often.

Addressing the issue of transparency, there have been some inquiry into our process of disciplining users. There are a few reasons we make the process private. The biggest reason being the privacy of the user in question. I know as a user I wouldn't want my business aired out to everyone. The same goes for the idea to have a public record of banned users. I wouldn't want anyone to know I was banned or have my name on public record as well.

I agree with the idea that a working system could always have room for improvements and we are always open to suggestions. If you have suggestions please give them, in fact I hope to see them. However; please don't be offended if the suggestion isn't implemented. It may not be the that the idea was bad, but that we are limited to our options and unable to implement it for some reason.

I will only give a short reply to the “Jordus is the almighty” stuff that happened here. While I like the idea of being an omnipresent god with amazing powers, I am not. This is a community forum ran for the community by the community through representatives chosen by the community. The only “power” I have ever “flexed” was to break stalemates that the admin discussion may have come upon.

Thank you guys for being such great forum members and for being a part of making the rich and fun community that surrounds one of our favorite hobbies.

See you guys again soon. :salute:

This post by Jordus was liked by 12 people: Bantari, Boidhre, Bonobo, Chew Terr, Dusk Eagle, ez4u, hyperpape, Joaz Banbeck, Phelan, Phoenix, shapenaji, topazg

Post #37 Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:53 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 45
Was liked: 98
Universal go server handle: Alguien
Bantari wrote:
Some rules pass the test of time, some do not.
Also - times change and so the rules might need to change.

I think you misunderstood me. I'm all for changing the rules when they don't work. What I dislike is the changing of the rules to correct their application.

Once that rule has been applied, I have no problem with the rule being changed from that point on.

What I'm strongly against is the changing of the rules based on who were they applied to and how strong he or his friends cry.

I have nothing against the proposal of changing the "self-promotion" rules (I'd vote for making them harsher, not weaker). I have much against discussing a mod decision that's been made based on the current rules that we've all accepted.

Bantari wrote:
Without any way from the user to have an input, the few overworked admins might not even notice... until people move to a new forum.

I agree.

Bantari wrote:
Does what you say above only apply to the change suggestions you personally dislike, or to all change suggestions?

Each and every one. No exception, ever.

Rules are to be changed, not broken. Because changes are made by and for the collective and breaks are made by, and for, individuals.

Post #38 Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:42 am 
Judan

[admin]
This is slightly off topic, but relevant to the underlying issues.

Despite occasional claims to the contrary, I do not have great experience banning people. :-? So I misused the ban page recently.
There is an option for choosing the length of a ban: one day, one week, one year, etc. If you want a length that is not among those listed, it defaults to permanent, and informs the member that his ban is permanent. It does not, TTBOMR, inform the admin.
I apologize for the alarm that it may have generated.
[/admin]

This post by Joaz Banbeck was liked by 2 people: ez4u, Phelan

Post #39 Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:58 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
Insane wrote:
Since Jordus abstained from any ownership influence when L19 was founded,..

Joaz, this is misleading, too. As may be clear by Jordus's post, you and I both know that daily mod decisions are handled by mods and not jordus. That may be ok, but let us not mislead people.

This post by Kirby was liked by 2 people: axd, topazg

Post #40 Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:17 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 662
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: Boidhre
Jordus wrote:
There are a few reasons we make the process private. The biggest reason being the privacy of the user in question. I know as a user I wouldn't want my business aired out to everyone. The same goes for the idea to have a public record of banned users. I wouldn't want anyone to know I was banned or have my name on public record as well.

Just to provide some debate. A few reasons for having the process public: The biggest reasons for having warnings and bans public are it shows how the rules are being implemented so everyone, especially new people, knows where the boundaries are, it provides a record of accountability for the mods (I warned them here, they did it again there, so I had to ban them afterwards) and perhaps most importantly it shows the community when something is being done about a user that is acting out of line (i.e. everyone can see the warnings being given) rather than the silence that persists currently when this is happening. I notice that all these reasons put the good of the community before the good of the user (i.e. the user's privacy) and I suppose this is the crucial difference here.

This post by Boidhre was liked by 4 people: axd, Bonobo, mlund, Recusant

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next