It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What is the Score?
Post #1 Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:15 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 4
Hi guys ..

Just wanted to get your take on the score for this board. It's Chinese rules with 9 stones handicap. GNUGo scores this as a +4.5 for Black. However, I have been told by some experienced players that it should be +8.5 for White. Can someone please clarify/explain?

Btw, the game is from http://www.funnode.com/games/go#id=9120
Thanks.

Attachments:
score.jpg
score.jpg [ 324.74 KiB | Viewed 5406 times ]

Post subject: Re: What is the Score?
Post #2 Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:37 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
I get 4.5 point win for Black one the board but i am not sure how the handicap stone are counted.

Post #3 Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:10 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 18
Was liked: 81
KGS: FanXiping
OGS: slashpine
Black has 183 points, minus 4.5 points for the 9 stones, worth ½ point each, given by White. So far, 178.5 points for Black. There are no dame points or captured stones under Chinese rules, so we can render the score as follows.

361 - 178.5 = 182.5

After 4.5 points reverse komi, Black has 178.5 points and White has 182.5 points. White wins by 4 points.

Post #4 Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:37 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
I get 183 points on the board for Black, 178 for White, which seems to agree with everybody else. The question, as Dr. Straw says, is whether Black counts the handicap stones. For instance, Black might not count 8 of the 9 stones, so that his score is 175.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #5 Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:37 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 18
Was liked: 81
KGS: FanXiping
OGS: slashpine
Bill Spight wrote:
I get 183 points on the board for Black, 178 for White, which seems to agree with everybody else. The question, as Dr. Straw says, is whether Black counts the handicap stones. For instance, Black might not count 8 of the 9 stones, so that his score is 175.
Once a certain Chinese lady with whom I played weiqi (and, as I just discovered, will this week be moving to New York City) told me that Black cedes ½ point for each handi stone. I once played a 6-stone game and, as White, she deducted 3 points from my score. So I figured ½ point per handi stone.

This post by tekesta was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #6 Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:37 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
tekesta wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:
Once a certain Chinese lady with whom I played weiqi (and, as I just discovered, will this week be moving to New York City) told me that Black cedes ½ point for each handi stone. I once played a 6-stone game and, as White, she deducted 3 points from my score. So I figured ½ point per handi stone.

I suppose, then, that here we would get a Black score of 183 - 4.5 = 178.5. Subtracting 180.5 from that we would get a loss of 2 zi. Right?

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #7 Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:02 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
And people say that Chinese rules are easier for beginners because there can be no dispute!!!!

Post #8 Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:04 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 790
DrStraw wrote:
And people say that Chinese rules are easier for beginners because there can be no dispute!!!!

See viewtopic.php?f=45&t=9839