It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
Offline
 Post subject: Announcing IgoLocal - Physical Go Server & Location service
Post #1 Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:56 am 
Dies in gote
User avatar

Posts: 52
Liked others: 2
Was liked: 14
Starting today, the question: "Where are all the Go players?" finally has an answer. Announcing Igolocal.net, the first Physical Go Server and worldwide Go location service.

http://igolocal.net

From IgoLocal, you can:
- Directly find local Go players who match your rank
- Challenge them to Games by tagging a time and location on the map
- Create open games for anybody in your area to accept
- Find and Join local Go clubs
- Create a Go Club that will be seen by the entire world
- Manage your local schedule of Go-related activities
- Register so that other Go players in your area can find you
- Use a localized interface in English, German or Japanese, with more languages to come

You can see a complete tutorial and description of the features of Igolocal at:

http://www.igolocal.net/how_to_use.php

The days of sitting alone at home at the computer are coming to an end -

It's time to Go Local.


This post by cthomas was liked by 3 people: Li Kao, palapiku, rubin427
Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Announcing IgoLocal - Physical Go Server & Location serv
Post #2 Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:25 am 
Judan
User avatar

Posts: 5112
Liked others: 962
Was liked: 570
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Great idea, Chuck.

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Announcing IgoLocal - Physical Go Server & Location serv
Post #3 Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:34 am 
Gosei
User avatar

Posts: 1319
Location: San Diego
Liked others: 443
Was liked: 391
Universal go server handle: Bantari
cthomas wrote:
Starting today, the question: "Where are all the Go players?" finally has an answer. Announcing Igolocal.net, the first Physical Go Server and worldwide Go location service.

http://igolocal.net

From IgoLocal, you can:
- Directly find local Go players who match your rank
- Challenge them to Games by tagging a time and location on the map
- Create open games for anybody in your area to accept
- Find and Join local Go clubs
- Create a Go Club that will be seen by the entire world
- Manage your local schedule of Go-related activities
- Register so that other Go players in your area can find you
- Use a localized interface in English, German or Japanese, with more languages to come

You can see a complete tutorial and description of the features of Igolocal at:

http://www.igolocal.net/how_to_use.php

The days of sitting alone at home at the computer are coming to an end -

It's time to Go Local.


Wow.
San Diego is not even on the map!!
I am highly offended... lol!

_________________
Bantari

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Announcing IgoLocal - Physical Go Server & Location serv
Post #4 Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:36 am 
Gosei
User avatar

Posts: 1319
Location: San Diego
Liked others: 443
Was liked: 391
Universal go server handle: Bantari
Bantari wrote:
cthomas wrote:
Starting today, the question: "Where are all the Go players?" finally has an answer. Announcing Igolocal.net, the first Physical Go Server and worldwide Go location service.

http://igolocal.net

From IgoLocal, you can:
- Directly find local Go players who match your rank
- Challenge them to Games by tagging a time and location on the map
- Create open games for anybody in your area to accept
- Find and Join local Go clubs
- Create a Go Club that will be seen by the entire world
- Manage your local schedule of Go-related activities
- Register so that other Go players in your area can find you
- Use a localized interface in English, German or Japanese, with more languages to come

You can see a complete tutorial and description of the features of Igolocal at:

http://www.igolocal.net/how_to_use.php

The days of sitting alone at home at the computer are coming to an end -

It's time to Go Local.


Wow.
San Diego is not even on the map!!
I am highly offended... lol!


Well. it is... but you need to zoom in. Darned... ;)
These young people and their blasted zomming-machines... how can a grumper like me keep up?

_________________
Bantari

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Announcing IgoLocal - Physical Go Server & Location serv
Post #5 Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:36 am 
Gosei
User avatar

Posts: 1319
Location: San Diego
Liked others: 443
Was liked: 391
Universal go server handle: Bantari
cthomas wrote:
Starting today, the question: "Where are all the Go players?" finally has an answer. Announcing Igolocal.net, the first Physical Go Server and worldwide Go location service.

http://igolocal.net

From IgoLocal, you can:
- Directly find local Go players who match your rank
- Challenge them to Games by tagging a time and location on the map
- Create open games for anybody in your area to accept
- Find and Join local Go clubs
- Create a Go Club that will be seen by the entire world
- Manage your local schedule of Go-related activities
- Register so that other Go players in your area can find you
- Use a localized interface in English, German or Japanese, with more languages to come

You can see a complete tutorial and description of the features of Igolocal at:

http://www.igolocal.net/how_to_use.php

The days of sitting alone at home at the computer are coming to an end -

It's time to Go Local.


Seriously - one of the best Idears I have seen in a while.

_________________
Bantari

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Announcing IgoLocal - Physical Go Server & Location serv
Post #6 Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:42 am 
Dies in gote
User avatar

Posts: 52
Liked others: 2
Was liked: 14
Thanks. =)

It just launched 1 hour ago, so we need to get people on here.

AGA E-journal will run a story about it, but word of mouth is even more important.

I'd like to encourage everybody to email every Go player you know about this - getting Go players to connect directly - locally - is the biggest problem we face. Let's Go Local!

_________________
Like my badge? Get yours at Igolocal.net!

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Announcing IgoLocal - Physical Go Server & Location serv
Post #7 Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:47 am 
Lives in gote
User avatar

Posts: 378
Liked others: 105
Was liked: 122
Hi Chuck,

I'd suggest making your website compatible with Internet Explorer. I know these things tend to be entrenched positions among non-IE users and that the idea of accommodating IE in any fashion brings some folks to vomiting, but IE users still hold around 60% of browser market share worldwide (see - http://www.netmarketshare.com/browser-m ... &sample=30).

I know all the arguments pro and con, forwards and backwards, in nauseating detail. I'll even admit that Fire Fox et al are probably better browsers, but I'm crotchety and have grown accustomed to Internet Explorer and Windows Vista too - horror of horrors.

Bottom line - from a marketing standpoint, shutting out IE users is a really bad idea.

Crotchety, luddite IE user,
Deja

_________________
"This is a game that rewards patience and balance. You must think like a man of action and act like a man of thought."
-Jonas Skarssen

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Announcing IgoLocal - Physical Go Server & Location serv
Post #8 Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:47 am 
Site Admin
User avatar

Posts: 1083
Location: Hemet, CA, USA
Liked others: 15
Was liked: 92
Rank: KGS 9k
Universal go server handle: Jordus
I'm all alone in Southern California lol. :o

_________________
I'm thinking...

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Announcing IgoLocal - Physical Go Server & Location serv
Post #9 Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:58 am 
Judan
User avatar

Posts: 5112
Liked others: 962
Was liked: 570
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Jordus wrote:
I'm all alone in Southern California lol. :o


If you drive up to San Jose, I'll play you.

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Announcing IgoLocal - Physical Go Server & Location serv
Post #10 Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:06 am 
Dies in gote
User avatar

Posts: 52
Liked others: 2
Was liked: 14
I know the arguments as well...

My problem is, I spend 100% of my time making the site work just with well-behaved browsers. I don't have any time left over for catering to IE's eccentricities... I really can't program and manage Igolocal AND make it work with IE, I don't have the time.

Sorry!


deja wrote:
Hi Chuck,

I'd suggest making your website compatible with Internet Explorer. I know these things tend to be entrenched positions among non-IE users and that the idea of accommodating IE in any fashion brings some folks to vomiting, but IE users still hold around 60% of browser market share worldwide (see - http://www.netmarketshare.com/browser-m ... &sample=30).

I know all the arguments pro and con, forwards and backwards, in nauseating detail. I'll even admit that Fire Fox et al are probably better browsers, but I'm crotchety and have grown accustomed to Internet Explorer and Windows Vista too - horror of horrors.

Bottom line - from a marketing standpoint, shutting out IE users is a really bad idea.

Crotchety, luddite IE user,
Deja

_________________
Like my badge? Get yours at Igolocal.net!

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Announcing IgoLocal - Physical Go Server & Location serv
Post #11 Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:09 am 
Oza
User avatar

Posts: 2108
Location: Seattle, WA
Liked others: 227
Was liked: 406
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
Jordus wrote:
I'm all alone in Southern California lol. :o


Gotta move out of Hemet....

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Announcing IgoLocal - Physical Go Server & Location serv
Post #12 Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:13 am 
Lives in gote
User avatar

Posts: 643
Location: Munich, Germany
Liked others: 115
Was liked: 100
Rank: KGS 3k
KGS: LiKao / Loki
My main problem with this site is that it's yet another community website where people have to register. I'd prefer if it were somehow integrated with L19.

And also I'd like to be able to associate myself with multiple locations(Such as home and work).

_________________
Sanity is for the weak.

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Announcing IgoLocal - Physical Go Server & Location serv
Post #13 Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:32 am 
Lives with ko

Posts: 280
Location: France
Liked others: 69
Was liked: 25
Rank: yes
Li Kao wrote:
And also I'd like to be able to associate myself with multiple locations(Such as home and work).

Yep, multiple locations would be nice. There would be more chances near my workplace in my case.

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Announcing IgoLocal - Physical Go Server & Location serv
Post #14 Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:41 am 
Gosei
User avatar

Posts: 1319
Location: San Diego
Liked others: 443
Was liked: 391
Universal go server handle: Bantari
cthomas wrote:
I know the arguments as well...

My problem is, I spend 100% of my time making the site work just with well-behaved browsers. I don't have any time left over for catering to IE's eccentricities... I really can't program and manage Igolocal AND make it work with IE, I don't have the time.

Sorry!


I don't know what the particular IE problem is that prevents the site from running, but unless you are really set on running all of this alone, I am sure people could pitch in and help if you ask. As a web developer I have to constantly fight with IE quirks (and Safari quirks, and Firefox quirks, and Opera quirks, and all that) - its painful but usually not very hard to deal with. You have a great idea, but if you shutting out 60% of potential users, you sort-of make it unworkable...

_________________
Bantari

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Announcing IgoLocal - Physical Go Server & Location serv
Post #15 Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:43 am 
Lives in gote
User avatar

Posts: 378
Liked others: 105
Was liked: 122
cthomas wrote:
I know the arguments as well...

My problem is, I spend 100% of my time making the site work just with well-behaved browsers. I don't have any time left over for catering to IE's eccentricities... I really can't program and manage Igolocal AND make it work with IE, I don't have the time.

Sorry!


No need to apologize, Chuck. Best of luck with the new site! :)

_________________
"This is a game that rewards patience and balance. You must think like a man of action and act like a man of thought."
-Jonas Skarssen

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Announcing IgoLocal - Physical Go Server & Location serv
Post #16 Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:46 am 
Dies in gote
User avatar

Posts: 52
Liked others: 2
Was liked: 14
I don't know, maybe now that my main development for version 1 is done, I'll try to get windows and IE8 working in a virtual machine and have a crack at it.





Bantari wrote:
cthomas wrote:
I know the arguments as well...

My problem is, I spend 100% of my time making the site work just with well-behaved browsers. I don't have any time left over for catering to IE's eccentricities... I really can't program and manage Igolocal AND make it work with IE, I don't have the time.

Sorry!


I don't know what the particular IE problem is that prevents the site from running, but unless you are really set on running all of this alone, I am sure people could pitch in and help if you ask. As a web developer I have to constantly fight with IE quirks (and Safari quirks, and Firefox quirks, and Opera quirks, and all that) - its painful but usually not very hard to deal with. You have a great idea, but if you shutting out 60% of potential users, you sort-of make it unworkable...

_________________
Like my badge? Get yours at Igolocal.net!

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Announcing IgoLocal - Physical Go Server & Location serv
Post #17 Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:48 am 
Judan
User avatar

Posts: 5112
Liked others: 962
Was liked: 570
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Chrome ftw!

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Announcing IgoLocal - Physical Go Server & Location serv
Post #18 Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:01 pm 
Gosei
User avatar

Posts: 1319
Location: San Diego
Liked others: 443
Was liked: 391
Universal go server handle: Bantari
cthomas wrote:
I don't know, maybe now that my main development for version 1 is done, I'll try to get windows and IE8 working in a virtual machine and have a crack at it.


Might want to take the easy way and explore this:

http://evolt.org/Google-Chrome-for-Internet-Explorer
http://www.chromeextensions.org/utilities/ie-tab/

Didn't try it myself, but I think it would help.
There are other solutions like that out there, from what I know.

Good luck, and holler if you need help. ;)

_________________
Bantari

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Announcing IgoLocal - Physical Go Server & Location serv
Post #19 Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:04 pm 
Dies in gote
User avatar

Posts: 52
Liked others: 2
Was liked: 14
You are a scholar and a gentleman! Looking this up now.

Bantari wrote:
cthomas wrote:
I don't know, maybe now that my main development for version 1 is done, I'll try to get windows and IE8 working in a virtual machine and have a crack at it.


Might want to take the easy way and explore this:

http://evolt.org/Google-Chrome-for-Internet-Explorer
http://www.chromeextensions.org/utilities/ie-tab/

Didn't try it myself, but I think it would help.
There are other solutions like that out there, from what I know.

Good luck, and holler if you need help. ;)

_________________
Like my badge? Get yours at Igolocal.net!

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Announcing IgoLocal - Physical Go Server & Location serv
Post #20 Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:05 pm 
Lives with ko

Posts: 280
Location: France
Liked others: 69
Was liked: 25
Rank: yes
feature request: being notified by mail if a new player appears in a certain distance at a certain rank range.

I'm already refreshing like a madman :D


This post by lorill was liked by: Li Kao
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group